[FINAL] NumbaNERD program

S4 Intent: Intent 4: Governance Accessibility

Update: Bounties live on DeWork.

Proposed Mission: This Mission proposal is to create a bounty board for governance related analytics, such as analytics around grant recipients. The bounty program will be run and maintained by an Alliance compromised of OP Labs employees. Some bounties may be restricted to contributors who have previously contributed, known as numbaNERDs. The entire requested grant goes towards program participants and not to the Alliance. All program participants will need to complete KYC before receiving grant funds.

Proposal Tier: Phoenix

Please verify that you meet the qualifications for submitting at the above tier: Chuxin is an OP Labs Employee.

Baseline grant amount: 75k OP (Entire grant amount goes to participants not Alliance).

% of total available Intent Budget: 0.025%

Please check here if access to upfront capital is a barrier to completing your Mission and you would like to be considered for a small upfront cash grant: No

Alliance: OP Labs

Alliance Lead: Chuxin

Contact info: data@oplabs.co

L2 recipient address: TBC

Please list the members of your Alliance and link to any previous work:

• Chuxin - Data Analyst at OP Labs
    • Open source and onchain data maxi. More info: Dune & Github.
  • Michael - Data Analyst at OP Labs
  • Vee - Head of Contributions at Optimism Foundation
    • Established NERD program, Ambassador program. Technical background. More info here.

Please explain how this Mission will help accomplish the above Intent:

• Accountability for Governance Fund Grants has been a big concern over past few seasons. This Alliance has created public dashboards and analytic tools that has made data more transparent, now we want to create a bounty program that makes that transparent data more actionable & accessible.

What makes your Alliance well-suited to execute this Mission?

• Michael and Chuxin run Analytics at OP Labs and have a deep understanding of what sets “good” analytics apart from misleading numbers. They have also put countless hours into creating the data infrastructure, such as address mappings, needed to accurately draw insights. Vee runs and creates the Contribution Paths at Optimism Foundation, and understands what it takes to get a community program from 0 to 1.

Please list the critical milestone(s) that should be tracked to determine if you should receive your grant in one year:

• Bounty board published - 17th July
  • Top 10 grant recipient projects (by Grant size) have analytics as a result of a bounty - 20th September

How should Token House delegates measure progress towards this Mission:

• Bounty board published - 13th July
  • 30 bounties successfully completed - 20th September.

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

• At the end of Season 4 a survey will be sent to delegates to determine if numbaNERD analytics were 1) used in their decision making process 2) if they were found to be useful and or insightful when making decisions.
  • Bounties or dashboards that uncover misused or misspent grants. Watchdog type role.

Breakdown of Mission budget request:

• A minimum of 30 bounties - broken down between easy, medium & hard. All bounty recipients will have to pass KYC before receiving bounties.
  • Easy - Low context work | 420 OP
  • Medium - Some context or specific skill required | 1420 OP
  • Hard - High context or complex understanding required | 2420 OP

I confirm that my grant will be subject to clawback for failure to execute on critical milestones: Yes

I confirm that I have read and understand the grant policies: Yes

I understand that I will be required to provide additional KYC information to the Optimism Foundation to receive this grant: [Yes/No]: Yes

I understand that I will be expected to following the public grant reporting requirements outlined here: [Yes/No]: Yes

25 Likes

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

2 Likes

I’m glad to see more initiatives around governance related analytics.

I am an Optimism delegate [Delegate Commitments - #37 by linda] with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

3 Likes

Analytics and deep diving is much needed and I second this initiative. As a delegator I propose to move this for voting.

2 Likes

As an Optimism delegate with voting power above the required threshold I believe this proposal is ready for vote. Delegate Commitments - #71 by MoneyManDoug

2 Likes

This is a great addition to the available resources for the community and delegates. Analytics, especially centered on grant recipients, would be very useful.

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

3 Likes

Love how this project is planning to operate via bounties… super cool, and love the work y’all have been doing already!

It’s even already helped price out another grant: [DRAFT] OP Governance Analytics Dashboard

This is unnecessary probably but will do it anyway :smiley:

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power , and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

2 Likes

I represent KyberSwap, an Optimism Protocol Delegate for Season 4 with sufficient voting power, and we believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

1 Like

Dashboards and analytical tools that provide transparent data can serve as a valuable resource for monitoring and evaluating the use of grant funding. This can help create a clearer picture of how funds are distributed and utilized.

2 Likes

Cool concept. Team is obviously trustworthy and bounties are a good way to open it up to the wider community. Will the team be deciding what bounties to post (as in, “Looking for a dashboard that analyzes this…”)? Or will bounty hunters suggest what they think is valuable, and team decides what to reward?

Either way, leaning towards voting For.

1 Like

I have voted in favour of this proposal. As I stated before:

2 Likes

The inclusion of personalized rewards in the incentive program and the focus on management fund grants is an intriguing approach. It can contribute to motivating contributors and rewarding their valuable efforts. The mission your project focuses on involves creating a rewards dashboard for management-related analytics. This is a valuable initiative that aims to work on management fund grants while addressing transparency and accountability concerns. Your project embraces an interesting approach by offering special rewards to motivate participants and reward their valuable contributions. Furthermore, the emphasis on completing KYC requirements demonstrates your commitment to security and accuracy, aiming to ensure the credibility of the project. As ITU Blockchain, we support your project and eagerly look forward to the progress and potential collaborations as ecosystem participants.

3 Likes

I love this mission proposal… as we’ve seen several issues around accountability in grant funding in the past. I believe this initiative will boost responsibility, accuracy, and accountability accurately.

1 Like

The registration form is live here: NumbaNERD signup if interested in this program. The Optimism team will post bounties this week to get it started! For me updates and info please join Optimism Discord and grab the role
🙋︱become-a-numbanerd.

NumbaNERDs create analytics around Optimism. We recently got a Mission approved by governance for a bounty board! You will need this role to see the bounties.

4 Likes

Bounties are up if you have not checked it out yet!

2 Likes

Hi @vonnie610!
As Season 4 draws to a close this week, we’re so excited to see how you’ve executed on your Mission! Please post an update for the community here outlining the milestones you’ve met this Thursday (9/20) by 19:00 GMT. Please include links to any final work products as we’ll create a final roundup linking to all Mission deliverables.

We also encourage you to sign-up for RetroPGF Round 3. You’ll be able to describe the impact of your Mission when you sign-up: RetroPGF Round 3 Applications Are Open

Thanks again for being part of this experiment and helping us build the Collective :heart:

1 Like

NumberNERD Mission End of Season Update

The NumberNERD mission was a slow start, but good data takes time! The program was overall a success, though a more intensive retrospective will be taking place once all in progress bounties are completed.

Critical Milestones

Milestone 1: :white_check_mark: Bounty Board Published

Bounty board published - 17th July

The bounty board was published by the 17th of July in DeWork. See the NumberNERD Season 4 Mission Board.

Details

The bounty board is alive and well with bounties in progress and yet to be claimed.

Milestone 2: :warning: Top 10 Grant Recipient Analytics

Top 10 grant recipient projects (by Grant size) have analytics as a result of a bounty - 20th September

There have been 6 deep dives have been completed by NumberNERDs, with a further 8 in progress. While this does not strictly reach the goal we believe this should be considered a sucess, and the resulting analytics are high quality and detailed.

Details

Here you can see the deep dive bounties that are in progress and completed.

Below are some example deep dives. As you can see, these analytical reports go deep into the projects data.

Here
Here
Here

We hope to apply next Season to refine and expand the program to meet the analytics and research needs of the Optimism Collective.

As always, stay optimistic <3

4 Likes

Thanks for the update @vonnie610! Please not that all Missions will be able to showcase their work tomorrow during a dedicated Mission demo day on September 28th, at 16:00 GMT on the Discord mainstage!

Demo Day - Mission Proposal Edition September 28th 2023 - 4pm UTC

Show off your Season 4 Mission Proposal accomplishments and milestones:

• Each mission proposal will get 2 minutes to present
  • Summarize your mission proposal
  • List your milestones and the results of those milestones

Apply here - (Discord):

Include:
Presenter Discord Handle → must be in the Optimism Discord
Link to your mission proposal

@vonnie610