S4 Intent: Technical Decentralisation
Proposed Mission: This Mission proposal is to run a training program for 5 techNERDs. This training will set the techNERDs up as technical support specialists. They will initially support developers building on OP Mainnet, and later expand to OP Chains. The training course will run for 4 weeks, and will be run by OP Labs. After the training program techNERDs will offer technical support to the Optimism Discord server during the remainder of Season 4 (approximately 6 weeks). The entire requested grant goes towards program participants and not to the Alliance. All program participants will need to complete KYC before receiving grant funds.
UPDATES: Program schedule
Proposal Tier: Phoenix
Please verify that you meet the qualifications for submitting at the above tier: Vee is an Optimism Foundation contributor.
Baseline grant amount: 21k OP
% of total available Intent Budget: 0.021%
Please check here if access to upfront capital is a barrier to completing your Mission and you would like to be considered for a small upfront cash grant: Yes
Alliance: OP Labs
Alliance Lead: Veronica
Contact info: @vonnie610 (Discord, Telegram)
L2 recipient address: TBD
Please list the members of your Alliance and link to any previous work:
- Vee - Head of Contributions at Optimism Foundation
- Established NERD program, Ambassador program. Technical background. More info here.
- Mattie Fairchild - OP Labs Contributor
- Runs DevRel at OP Labs
- Ori - OP Labs Contributor | M.Ed. in Instructional Design
- Runs documentation & tutorials at OP Labs. Point of contact for a lot of support issues.
Please explain how this Mission will help accomplish the above Intent:
- In order to reach technical decentralisation, the Optimism Collective needs an army of developers building on and with the Collective. These developers will need high quality technical support in order to flourish. This Mission will kick start the techNERD program, ensuring that developers of the Optimism Collective can always get the help they need. This mission also scales this support function into the community (rather than inside OP Labs) which promotes organisational decentralisation as well!
- The three alliance members will design and run a training course for TechNERDs. We will source potential nerds from the community (the sign up link will be posted durning voting). All OP awarded to this Mission will be used to make grants to the individuals who are participating in the training program.
What makes your Alliance well-suited to execute this Mission?
- Our Alliance has high context on the Optimism technical stack. Ori has two decades experience running technical trainings. Mattie has incredible insight into the current struggles in the developer journey. Vee has established all existing Contributor Paths.
Please list the critical milestone(s) that should be tracked to determine if you should receive your grant in one year:
- TechNERDs complete training. 4 weeks after program kick off. TechNERDs should receive the cash portion of this grant during the training to cover equipment costs. Program participants agree to return the cash portion of the grant if they do not complete the remainder of the milestones.
- Each TechNERDs should be active in the Optimism Discord server (defined as a minimum of 40 messages a week), and close (solve) at least 3 tech support tickets a week, every week, for the 6 weeks after training to qualify for the OP portion of the grant.
- The TechNERDs program should, as a whole, answer a minimum of 30 support tickets in the 6 weeks. This info is not currently public, but will be posted every month to the governance forum by the Alliance or a superNERD.
How should Token House delegates measure progress towards this Mission:
- Applications open on the 13th of July.
- TechNERDs selection announced on the 24th of July.
- Training starts on the 24th of July.
- Training completed on the 18th of August.
- TechNERDs start supporting the server 14th August.
- TechNERDs finish supporting the server 22nd September.
How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?
- Support ticket turn around time should go from its current ~36 hour turn around to under 10 hours. This info is not currently public, but will be posted every month to the governance forum by the Alliance or a superNERD.
- OP Goerli testnet deployments increase by 10%.
- OP Mainnet deployments increase by 5%.
- Testimonials from developers helped by the program.
Breakdown of Mission budget request:
- $1k per techNERD given at the start of the program to cover the equipment costs for running a node (terabytes hard drives, sufficient RAM, etc), as well as infra costs such as an RPC endpoint. This will go directly to program participants. The Alliance members will not receive any funds from this proposal.
- 4.2k OP per techNERD for a minimum of 6 active weeks. All techNERDs will need to complete KYC to receive these rewards.
- Should there be left over OP at the end of the program (for example, if a techNERD drops out or does not meet the minimum activity requirements) the remaining OP will be returned to the Governance Fund.
- An application form for wannabe techNERDs to apply will be added to this proposal when the voting cycle starts.
I confirm that my grant will be subject to clawback for failure to execute on critical milestones: Yes
I confirm that I have read and understand the grant policies: Yes
I understand that I will be required to provide additional KYC information to the Optimism Foundation to receive this grant: Yes
I understand that I will be expected to following the public grant reporting requirements outlined here: Yes