S4 Intent: Intent 1: Progress Towards Technical Decentralization
Proposed Mission: Deeply investigate the technical design space around decentralized Superchain governance and produce a white paper that serves as a research-based foundation for implementation.
Proposal Tier: Ember
Baseline grant amount: 20,000 OP
*In addition to the 20,000 OP, we are requesting ideas and feedback from technical experts within the Optimism Foundation, OP Labs, and the Optimism Collective along the way.
% of total available Intent Budget: 2%
Please check here if access to upfront capital is a barrier to completing your Mission and you would like to be considered for a small upfront cash grant: No
Alliance name: Tally
Alliance Lead: Frisson
L2 recipient address: oeth:0xec1C77AC05915F099C7c56900D63823Fa4308800
Please list the members of your Alliance and link to any previous work:
- Dennison Bertram (Founder and CEO of Tally, Contributor to Rollcall, Builder of Tally Zero, Founder of Dope Wars, Builder of Safeguard & much more)
- Rafael Solari (Founder and CTO of Tally, Committee Member of Uniswap Deployments Accountability Committee)
- Frisson (VP of Marketing at Tally, Founder of Content Guild, Founder of DAO NYC)
Please explain how this Mission will help accomplish the above Intent: The Superchain is a network of chains that will share decentralized governance. To make this a reality, the Optimism Collective needs to extend across the Superchain. Our Mission is to evaluate possible technical implementations of the Optimism Collective across the Superchain, analyze the strengths and weaknesses of each implementation, highlight blockers, and make recommendations. This Superchain Governance Deep Dive will help accomplish Intent #1 Progress Towards Technical Decentralization by establishing a research-based foundation for the implementation of Superchain governance.
What makes your Alliance well-suited to execute this Mission? Our team has deep technical expertise in the area of crosschain governance specifically and the area of onchain governance in general. We built Rollcall, a protocol for crosschain voting from Optimism to L1 DAOs. We are working closely on a technical level with the Uniswap DAO as part of the Uniswap Deployments Accountability Committee as they manage their multichain governance deployment. Tally is the most popular front end of Governor, which is the onchain smart contract primitive that the Optimism Collective uses for governance. Tally supports Token House Governance. We are also closely involved in the development of the technical roadmap of Governor.
How should Token House delegates measure progress towards this Mission?
Please list the critical milestone(s) that should be tracked to determine if you should receive your grant in one year: Critical milestone(s) demonstrates the proposal has been executed (a clawback is possible for failure to execute on critical milestones)
Critical Milestone: All deliverables completed by September 20th, including:
- Summary and technical evaluation of at least 3 promising technical implementations of Superchain decentralized governance.
- Explanation of process, including summary of all contributions from the Optimism Collective and links to source.
- Recommendation on most promising technical implementation of Superchain decentralized governance including key requirements and key risks.
Benchmark milestone 1: Research plan and deliverable requirements established & shared with the Optimism Collective by July 15th, 2023.
Benchmark milestone 2: Open call for contributions completed, with opportunities to contribute from all interested parties in the Optimism Collective by August 1st, 2023.
Benchmark milestone 3: Midway checkpoint report: Progress against research plan and deliverable requirements shared with the Optimism Collective by August 15th, 2023.
How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?
KPI 1: A group of pre-selected experts from OP Labs, the Optimism Foundation, and the Optimism Collective sign off on deliverables as being:
- A thorough representation of possible implementations.
- Actionable, in that the recommendations help the Optimism Collective move forward to the next phase of Superchain decentralized governance development.
Breakdown of Mission budget request:
- Summary and technical evaluation of at least 3 promising technical implementations of Superchain decentralized governance: 10,000 OP
- Explanation of process, including summary of all contributions from the Optimism Collective and links to source: 5,000 OP
- Recommendation on most promising technical implementation of Superchain decentralized governance including key requirements and key risks: 5,000 OP
I confirm that my grant will be subject to clawback for failure to execute on critical milestones: Yes
I confirm that I have read and understand the grant policies: Yes
I understand that I will be required to provide additional KYC information to the Optimism Foundation to receive this grant: Yes
I understand that I will be expected to following the public grant reporting requirements outlined here: Yes