[FINAL] RegenScore

S4 Intent: Governance Accessibility (Intent 4)

Proposed Mission: RegenScore - Attestations for the Citizen’s House

Proposal Tier 29: Ember Tier

Please verify that you meet the qualifications for your Tier: I am a new community member that has not worked with or for the Optimism Collective before.

Baseline grant amount: 95k OP

% of total available Intent Budget: 3%

Alliance name: Trusted Seed

Alliance Lead: Max Semenchuk

Contact info: Telegram: Contact @maxsemenchuk

L2 recipient address: 0xeCd54dB84c80f451b8dbC91ac31f6b7b900b61C0 (we’re considering using a multisig for partners, but need to figure out how to do it. We would like to have an opportunity to revise the address it by the time of approval)

Please list the members of your Alliance and link to any previous work:

• Max Semenchuk (Trusted Seed) Social Entrepreneur, Strategist, Researcher and Change Agent.
  • Ivy Bagay (Trusted Seed) Fully immersed in the web3 and crypto space since 2021, Ivy leads operations at Commons Stack and marketing at Trusted Seed and is an active Board Member at the Trusted Seed Association. In addition to her current roles, Ivy has made significant contributions as a previous steward in the Transparency WG of the Token Engineering Commons.
  • Yineisy Mota (Trusted Seed) - A skilled and experienced communications professional with a passion for web3 and blockchain technology. Yineisy is a Communications Support & Gardener.
  • Nuggan (General Magic) - a skilled data science and solidity developer who currently contributes to Inverter Network and General Magic. One of the original python devs behind the Commons Configuration Dashboard in the TEC.
  • Sponnet (Avado) - tech rockstar
  • Tosin (General Magic) - Designer
  • Lawrence Mosley (Omni Analytics Group / Omniacs.DAO) – Executive Data Scientist with deep Web3 experience as an Ethereum Foundation grant recipient, Gitcoin Passport contributor, and Aave Grants DAO reviewer.
  • Ben – Long-term web3 community member and aspiring full-stack blockchain developer under mentoring from Atris (GitcoinDAO)

Advisors

• Griff Green - Co-founder of Commons Stack, Giveth, General Magic & DAppNode; Top Steward in ENS, Gitcoin, Optimism, Arbitrum, TEC as well as many other Ethereum community projects.
  • Atris (Gitcoin DAO) - Co-founder of the original RegenScore. Senior full-stack blockchain developer, currently core contributor at GitcoinDAO.
  • Morten (Supermodular.xyz, Buidlbox) - Co-founder of the original RegenScore, ex Gitcoin Foundation, General Manager at supermodular, working on buidlbox

Please explain how this Mission will help accomplish the above Intent:

TL;DR

Creating a RegenScore can help qualify members for Optimism’s Citizen’s House, it promotes a transparent, fair, and data-driven approach to giving governance to regen actors across the web3 ecosystem. We will create an easy website for people to claim their own RegenScore attestation which can be used as a criteria for earning membership to the Citizen’s House.

Broken down further:

1. Democratization of Governance: With the help of the RegenScore, Optimism’s Citizen’s House can qualify its members based on their blockchain activity, allowing for an automated inclusion into the Citizen’s House. This score, if used as part of the inclusion assessment can provide lesser-known pseudonymous regens an equal opportunity to participate and have their voices heard, provided they are active and contribute positively to the regen web3 space.

2. Transparent Individual Evaluation: The RegenScore provides a clear and comprehensive measure of individual behavior on the blockchain, taking into account factors such as interaction with airdrops, POAPs, interactions with well-known regen economies and other key elements of participation.

3. Gamification of Public Goods: The RegenScore will also incentivize more active participation within the public goods ecosystem. Tracking and creating leaderboards and on-chain attestations of the REGEN Score will create non-monetary incentives to be a positive force for good in the web3 ecosystem.

4. Accountability and Trust: The RegenScore can act as a reputation system, verifying that an individual’s actions align with the standards and values of the Citizen’s House, and the responsibility entrusted to them to distribute Retroactive Public Goods Funding. This can lead to increased trust within the community, making governance more widely accessible based on a system of merit.

5. Data-Driven Decision Making: By providing objective, data-driven scores, the RegenScore can assist in making informed decisions about the Regen-ness of an address. This can foster a more open and inclusive governance system for Optimism, and for other organizations throughout the ecosystem. Decisions about who to give airdrops to, and include in participatory governance can be made based on hard data rather than incomplete subjective judgment.

What makes your Alliance well-suited to execute this Mission?

Being active contributors to Trusted Seed for years, Max, Yineisy and Ivy have extensive experience in curating a network of trusted individuals who have access to the initialization of Commons and regen economies. The Trusted Seed members played an important role in the governance and initial fundraising of the Token Engineering Commons (TEC) using their CSTK score, which has been migrated to $TRUST. Currently, ~80% of the $TEC token is held by former/current Trusted Seed members and its price has been performing about as well as Ethereum, which is largely in part because they excluded non-trusted members of the community

Nuggan, Sponnet and Tosin are part of the Trusted Seed and we have worked with them in the past on Commons Stack and Trusted Seed projects, and we are confident we can make an excellent product. Laurance will hold down the data science responsibilities on the team. Griff Green will give us insight into the regen community, Atris will help us kick start this project on top of his hackathon prototype here: https://regenscore.vercel.app/, with Morten providing ideation and guidance based on his original idea of Regenscore.

Please list the critical milestone(s) that should be tracked to determine if you should receive your grant in one year:

Critical milestone(s) demonstrates the proposal has been executed (a clawback is possible for failure to execute on critical milestones)

• Milestone 1: Conceptual Design of the RegenScore presented for feedback. Collaborate with the team to establish the parameters and elements that the RegenScore will measure. This includes defining how the system will measure an individual’s blockchain behaviour such as:
    • Interaction with regen tokens e.g. $GIV, $PAN , $KLIMA, $GTC, $UBI, $BCT, $NCT, etc
    • Holders of POAPs for regen events e.g. Regens United, ETHBarcelona, ETHGlobal hackathons, etc
    • Interactions with regen NFTs e.g. Greatest LARP, ETHbot, MoonshotBots, Rainbow Rolls, World of Women, Pooly NFTs etc.
    • Donations on Gitcoin, clr.fund, Giveth, Unchain Fund, Earthquake Relief, etc.
    • Voting on Snapshot for regen orgs, being a delegate protocols
    • Management of airdropped tokens for $OP, $ENS, $GTC, $UNI, etc

We will post updates on this forum post, but mostly we will use Twitter to request feedback on missing regen on-chain activity.

• Milestone 2: Prototype Development and Testing. Develop a working prototype of the RegenScore system and conduct initial testing during EthGlobal Hackathon (Paris). Modify and refine the algorithm based on test results.

• Milestone 3: Development of the Scoring Algorithm. Using the parameters defined and crowd-sourced, we will develop the scoring algorithm. This involves creating a mathematical model that will calculate the REGEN Score based on the predefined parameters. We will present this on the forum for feedback.

• Milestone 4: Pilot Phase. Implement the RegenScore system on a small scale. Collect feedback and make further refinements to the UX and scoring algorithm.

• Milestone 5: Full Implementation and Launch. After the system has been thoroughly tested and refined, roll out the RegenScore system and enable on-chain attestations.

Post launch

• Milestone 6: Post-Implementation Review and Refinement. Gather feedback from users and conduct a comprehensive review of the system’s performance. Make any necessary adjustments and improvements based on this feedback.
  • Milestone 7: Continued Maintenance and Improvement. Regularly review and update the RegenScore system to ensure that it remains accurate, relevant, and effective.

How should Token House delegates measure progress towards this Mission:

This project launch is expected to be completed in 2.5 months.

• Milestone 1
    • Target completion: July 26
  • Milestone 2
    • Target completion: Aug 9
  • Milestone 3
    • Target completion: Aug 23
  • Milestone 4
    • Target completion: Sept 6
  • Milestone 5
    • Target completion: Sept 20

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

1. End User Adoption: The rate of RegenScores that have been calculated. A growing rate signifies the successful implementation and acceptance of the system within the community. We want to see people spreading this organically on social media (not a trustworthy metric though).

2. Number of Integrations: The RegenScore should also be useful to crypto organizations besides Optimism. Airdrops, NFT premints & voting permissions are only the most obvious use cases; we are excited to see what ReFi projects will do when this data is easily generated on-chain.

Breakdown of Mission budget request:

This project is expected to be completed in 2.5 months.

• Milestone 1
    • Target completion: 20k OP
  • Milestone 2
  • Milestone 3
  • Milestone 4
    • Target completion: 15k OP
  • Milestone 5

I confirm that my grant will be subject to clawback for failure to execute on critical milestones: Yes

I confirm that I have read and understand the grant policies: Yes

I understand that I will be required to provide additional KYC information to the Optimism Foundation to receive this grant: Yes

I understand that I will be expected to following the public grant reporting requirements outlined here: Yes

9 Likes

I wonder how this will work.

Given the exposure to multiple hacks, I’ve used these tokens on different wallets.

At the same time, I use other wallets for this:

And by now you get the point, will I be able to sign many addresses into one Regen score?

I’m also wondering who decides what tokens are considered REGEN scores and which ones are not.

3 Likes

Thanks for this proposal! Great to see an initiative targeting the dataset to elect new Citizens.

I’d love to share some context about how we’ve been thinking about this at the Optimism Foundation:
Where we want to move citizenship election to is badgeholders deciding what attestations, and combinations of attestations, constitute a citizenship.
A REGEN score could be part of this attestation set that badgeholders use to determine who is eligible to be an Optimism Citizen, but this is something that will be determined by future Citizens!

For reference, these are the overall criteria we set for badgeholdership in round 2:

:seedling: Has this person shown strong alignment with the long term growth of the Optimism ecosystem and the mission of the Collective?

:bulb: Can this person help advance the process and structure of retroPGF as a funding mechanism?

:mag_right: Is this person a domain expert in any of the categories up for funding in RetroPGF?

It will be an interesting experiment to see if being part of the regen ecosystem (based on the criteria outlined in the mission) would be a good criteria to become a citizen.
In general, we’re excited about any initiative that extends the pool of potential attestations that the Citizens House could use to determine citizenship!

3 Likes

Hey, thanks for your feedback!

Yeap “multiple wallets” is a bit of the extended scenario, my best solution would look like wallets that could be merged together, ideally with ZK disclosure. Though we could analyze this thought the 1st milestone and estimate the effort for delivery.

Regarding the decision on tokens – we’re looking to form some kind of consortia for recognition and adoption with the networks already mentioned and have some decisions on further extension or revisions together.

2 Likes

Yay, thanks!

Our current design is a basis and we’re looking forward to researching and adapting the design to the criteria you’ve mentioned.

1 Like

Not sure if I count, as I am an advisor to this project

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power , and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

3 Likes

Hi @maxsemenchuk! Wanted to make sure you were aware of the Optimism Season 4 Pitching Sessions to help find the 4 delegate approvals you’ll need by this Wednesday at 19:00 GMT for your proposal to move to a vote.

These sessions are happening in Discord on Monday, 26.06 2pm ET / 6pm GMT / 8pm CET and Tuesday, 27.06 11am ET / 3pm GMT / 5pm CET.

You can sign-up here!

2 Likes

I am one of the Synthetix Ambassadors, and a Optimism Badgeholder. I am an Optimism delegate [Delegate Commitments - #65 by mastermojo ] with sufficient voting power, and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

3 Likes

I am an Optimism commitments - #1 by Gonna.eth with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

3 Likes

I personally think this is a cool project and worth seeing go to vote given its alignment with the overall Optimism vision and mission. I do have some questions about the amount required to push this forward, but think it’s reasonable for that to be decided by voters given that it’s just barely over $100k.

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power , and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

2 Likes

Seems like this could be a huge benefit for the Citizen’s House, happy to support!

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for our delegates @mastermojo @Gonna.eth @ceresstation @katie , as well as
@Jonas and @lavande for the feedback and support.

Summary of the feedback received to the moment

• In the design phase we should work towards more specific cohesions of OP governance standards like “strong alignment” and “domain expertise”
  • Define the governance of the formula, analyzed tokens etc so it’s transparent and fair
  • Think about the cases with more than 1 wallet per person
  • Consider a more detailed budget & scope breakdown
2 Likes

I represent KyberSwap, an Optimism Protocol Delegate for Season 4 with sufficient voting power, and we believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

3 Likes

The amount requested is high but I find this will be a useful experiment for the Citizen’s House. I also received input from my colleague Yesim Kaymak on this and we came to the same conclusion.

2 Likes

I should have choose to abstain from this, even after reading the proposal couple of time and thinking it through I am not able to see its relation with intent 4 but at the same i dont have sufficient reason to vote against it.

2 Likes

Wait are we serious here

why on earth do we want to be rewarding interaction with certain tokens as part of entry into citizens house

many of which are affiliated with the team proposing this

i think if you cut like half of these requirements this could approach being a useful thing but as it stands, is this at risk of being a means of pumping affiliated projects of the team here and capturing
the citizens house?

looked at a certain way, this could be a governance attack, and delegates voting for this should take a hard look at what they’re doing

4 Likes

Dear @OPUser thanks for your review. The Regen score intents to provide more info on the voters, and their background and potentially amplify the voices in connection to specialization (e.g. engineers) or public goods experts / veterans for the decisions that needs that. Inspired by next definition:

Intent #4: Governance accessibility includes enabling a diversity of perspectives to participate in governance, facilitating better knowledge sharing to develop more informed voters, and lowering barriers to participation for more culturally diverse involvement in the governance process. Increasing the votable supply and reducing the concentration of voting power should be important bi-products of improved accessibility.

Hope it helps.

Dear @jackanorak regen score is not binding anyhow, rather a tooling for governance development and an extra information layer. Many of the mentioned projects are linked organically as web3 public goods is a small space still. Of course, we’ve mentioned our nearest circles (as we know them), but we’ll definitely introduce some kind of curation and reach out to OP eco to help us identify/validate missing ones. Looking forward to include you (and others) in the design process if you like.

1 Like

I’d like to perhaps discuss the design process before committing 95k OP to it

2 Likes

I understand. It could be better maybe to make this process in advance maybe or break it down into smaller chunks. We’re getting used to the process and will be more conscious in the future.

1 Like

Will you commit to removing your application if it gets the required votes so we can be thoughtful in how we’d potentially graft this onto citizens house?

1 Like