[READY TO VOTE] Create Videos about Optimism

Delegate Mission Request Summary:

This mission seeks to create entertaining and educational videos that draw people into the Optimism Collective. The aim is to raise awareness for Optimism, make it easy for mainstream audiences to get involved, and inspire the next generation of leaders in the Superchain.

S5 Intent 4 - Improve Governance Accessibility

Proposing Delegate: @kaereste

Proposal Tier: Ember

Baseline grant amount: up to 7,000 OP

Should this Foundation Mission be fulfilled by one or multiple applicants: Multiple

Submit by: To be set by Grants Council

Selection by: To be set by Grants Council

Start date: ASAP

Completion date: Mission must be completed within 12 months

Specification

How will this Delegate Mission Request help accomplish the above Intent?

The Delegate Mission Request for creating educational videos aligns with the intent to Improve Governance Accessibility by focusing on three key areas:

1. Community Education: The videos will serve as a vital tool to educate the broader community about Optimismā€™s governance and RetroPGF, using clear and engaging narratives that resonate with a wide audience.
  2. Fostering Community: The videos can combine educational content about governance with other topics that interest viewers, which can help provide a welcoming atmosphere where more people are inspired to fulfill their goals with the Optimism Collective.
  3. Simplifying Complexity: The mission is designed to distil the complexities of Optimismā€™s governance system into simple content, making it easier for newcomers to understand how they can participate and make informed decisions.

In essence, this mission will provide an accessible entry point for community members to engage with and contribute to Optimismā€™s governance, promoting inclusivity and understanding.

What is required to execute this Delegate Mission Request?

To execute this Delegate Mission Request, the content creator will be responsible for the following:

1. Knowledgeable Expertise: Stay updated on Optimismā€™s developments and demonstrate strong presentation skills
  2. Alignment with Optimismā€™s Vision: Uphold and convey Optimismā€™s principles in all content
  3. Video Production Proficiency: Possess necessary video production skills, such scripting, editing, and hosting.
  4. Strategic Content Research: Research and organize content on pivotal topics within the Optimism ecosystem
  5. Social Media Promotion: Actively promote videos across social channels like Twitter and Farcaster

Expected Deliverables:

• A series of educational and engaging videos that provide insights into Optimism governance and RetroPGF.
  • Regular updates and posts on social media platforms to promote content and engage with the community.
  • Reports on engagement metrics, viewer feedback, and the effectiveness of educational efforts.

How should the Token House measure progress towards this Mission?

The Token House can measure progress towards this Mission by reviewing the following resources provided by the content creator:

• Links to the platform where the videos are published (such as Zora or Youtube)
  • Monthly video analytics such as viewership, impressions, and NFT mints (via onchain interactions, spreadsheet, or other resources)
  • Links to social media channels where there is engagement on the video (such as comments, likes, and bookmarks on Farcaster or X)
  • A summary of how the videos help Optimism to make it easier for the Token House to understand the impact without having to watch every video. This summary can include details of how the videos resulted in key governance metrics, such as delegated OP, activity on the governance forum, and participation in community events.

The content creator can set milestones regarding the date of video delivery, amount of videos published, amount of views, amounts of mints, amount of governance participation, and other engagement metrics.

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

To assess the impact of this Mission, badgeholders can focus on any of the following metrics:

• Key Video Analytics: Overview of video content metrics such as total views, click-through rates, conversion rates and more
  • Supplementary Content Engagement: Total downloads, views, and mints of additional resources (e.g., free guides or NFTs) linked in the videos.
  • Community Queries: Total count of inquiries to the content creator about Optimism Governance and the Collective.
  • Onboarding Proof: Number of new wallets set up following the video content, indicating successful onboarding.
  • Contributor Tracking: Documented contributions from those newly onboarded, reflecting active participation (such as joining Optimism Fractal events or completing Layer3 Quests)
  • Feedback Summary: Analysis of a brief feedback form filled out by viewers and/or ecosystem participants.
  • New Conversations: Track the number of governance-related posts, and discussions initiated by participants post-onboarding.

These metrics can provide a clear, time-efficient method for badgeholders to evaluate the Missionā€™s impact. In addition, badgeholders can also use the metrics that the Token House uses to measure the positive impact of the Mission.

Have you engaged a Grant-as-a-service provider for this Mission Request?

No

Has anyone other than the Proposing Delegate contributed to this Mission Request?

This Mission Request was created by @Rosmari and @DanSingjoy

12 Likes

As a top 100 Optimism delegate we strongly approve of this mission, and plan to contribute content towards it. This is an awesome and much needed mission for the Optimism Collective. Spreading awareness through high quality educational video content can be an extremely impactful vehicle for growing optimism adoption and collective participation.

3 Likes

I feel like there is already a plethora of content out there that doesnā€™t get used and doesnā€™t create the intended impact. I do not support this proposal.

4 Likes

While Iā€™m a big fan of creating content to onboard new people to the Optimism Collective, I believe thereā€™s already great content out there. I think that we need to focus on finding ways to distribute that content instead of creating new.

I recommend taking a look at the great video series created by @dmars300 and Cryptoversidadā€™s team.

Weā€™ve also created an introductory course to onboard newcomers at Optimistic Academy and it didnā€™t have the impact we expected, mostly because we hadnā€™t built a distribution channel to share the connect and attract people to Optimism.

I believe now itā€™s time to work on reaching new people rather than creating more additional materials.

6 Likes

Agree with thoughts by Katie and Santi. The current problem is the distrubiton of already, existing, and in some cases, very good content.
I invite you to take a look at the links provided @kaereste

2 Likes

We completely agree high quality video content exists, like the video series mentioned by @santicristobal.

We feel the collective should be incentivized to continue proliferating educational video content in the most digestible way for mass society. [Intent 4 ā€œTo improve governence accessibility to welcome a broad range of perspectivesā€]

Because ā€˜a broad range of perspectivesā€™ learn at different speeds, through different channels, with different preferences/languages - current vidoes that are great for some, are not great/digestible for others. For Optimism to reach a massive audience many different types of educational video content would be impactful, and should be encouraged.

In many cases, new videos will actually reference old video content (translating, condensing for hyper engagement, educational reaction videos, list goes on) thus bringing more attention and distribution to these educational goldmines our community members have worked so hard on, yet arenā€™t highly viewed.

In many other cases, new content will simply generate new audiences/perspectives.

We agree that calculating the exact impact from a mission like this would be difficult, which is why we feel this should start as a relatively lower ranked mission, and expect impact metrics to improve over time.

We appreciate the thoughtful deliverables and metrics mentioned in this Mission Request, and IF fulfilled, see that as a significant field of positive impact towards Intent 4 and the greater Optimism Collective.

2 Likes

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

2 Likes

Thank you for creating the great proposal.

What I am unclear about is why is it so much funding is needed for this content.

imho creating clips or content can be done for free at first, and once these clips are getting attention itā€™ll be worth expanding and funding for expansion.

2 Likes

fully in agreement here - this is a large budget for something so generally abundant and for which any anticipated marginal effect is pretty speculative

the thing with (especially video) content is that itā€™s very difficult to know in advance whatā€™s going to be effective or seen unless itā€™s a group with a track record.

so thinking through the likely set of applications resulting from this mission proposal, i suspect that the only ones that would be compelling enough to pass would be from already-successful content creators with portfolios that would inspire confidenceā€”and balance sheets to underwrite trial video content. at that rate, why not just encourage them to make videos and have them shoot for RPGF?

4 Likes

I agree with @jackanorak assessment that the most persuasive candidates for approval are likely those who are already established content creators. It would be advisable for content creators to first produce videos and subsequently submit an application for RetroPGF.

2 Likes

FYI, upon original authorā€™s request Iā€™ve made a small correction (probably a mistake on my side when copying the proposal):

was:
Baseline grant amount: 7,000 OP

corrected to:
Baseline grant amount: up to 7,000 OP

2 Likes

Hey Marc,

Thank you so much for approving the mission request and sharing all the insights! I agree with all your excellent points and greatly appreciate your support. Itā€™s been awesome collaborating with you and I enjoyed producing a video where you spoke about your work with Advantage Blockchain at a recent Optimism Fractal event. I heard youā€™re creating videos too and am looking forward to seeing how youā€™re planning to contribute towards the mission!

1 Like

Hey Santi,

Thanks for reviewing the mission request and providing your feedback. Thank you for sharing the links as well, I enjoyed watching the videos from @dmars300ā€™s team and learned a lot exploring courses in the Optimistic Academy!

While I agree that we should increase distribution for existing content, itā€™s also very important to create new content for the following reasons:

Amplifying Reach through New Content Creation

The Optimism Collective benefits from having many types of video content and video creators that engage with a wide range of audiences with diverse interests. One of the best ways to distribute existing content is to create new content that promotes it.

This mission would allow many video creators to promote the video courses from Cryptoversidad, the Optimistic Academy, and all the other great video content in Optimism. For example, Iā€™d be happy to promote this work in my videos if this mission request is approved. The synergy between content creation and strategic promotion can amplify our collective reach to help more people learn about Optimism.

Reaching Audiences with Diverse Video Content

This Mission Request is structured to enable a wide variety of helpful video content for the Collective, such as vlogs, news shows, podcasts, game shows, and musical live streams about Optimism. For example, you can see several kinds of videos that @DanSingjoy and I are thinking about creating for this Mission Request here.

This flexible kind of mission would allow any kind of video creator to pursue their imaginations and create content that most excite their audiences. These types of videos provide unique value that is quite different from the educational videos mentioned above and seems to be missing in the Optimism Collective. This diversity of video content enables creators to connect with audiences in unique, impactful ways.

The Multiplicative Impact of Video Content

I noticed a similar rationale explaining why videos are so impactful during the Optimistic Academy course for ā€œOptimism Vision and Valuesā€ module here. Hereā€™s an interesting quote (from 0:55 - 1:35):

ā€œFirst of all, according to the optimistic vision, impact is a driving force. So letā€™s put an example. Letā€™s say you do a video tutorial on using a new technology, a new application. Like, something small right? Maybe it has 1000 views, but letā€™s say that that tutorial gets used by a developer to build a new application. And it may be an application that you end up using yourself. But it may be also an application used by thousands of people, people that at the same time will get inspired by this application which solves their problems and build new things or create other YouTube tutorials that more people will seeā€¦ā€

When the Optimism Collective supports more video creators with a wider range of video content, the odds of this exponential impact increase. With this in mind, I ask you to reconsider your previous thoughts. Thank you for your time and consideration.

1 Like

Hi Katie,

Thank you for reviewing the mission request and sharing your thoughts. I understand your concerns and hope youā€™ll be willing to reconsider this proposal. Here are a couple of reasons why you may want to change your mind about this:

• Not all video content creates the intended impact, but some video content can create an outsized impact. It may be helpful to think of supporting video creators similar to how investors think about supporting startup companies. By supporting a diverse range of video creators, the Optimism Collective enhances its chances of significant successes even if some content doesnā€™t make a substantial impactā€¦ The relatively low budget and flexible design of this mission provide incentives for many video creators to create impactful videos about Optimism.

• One of the great benefits of videos is how they increase communication and showcase our humanity in the digital world. I appreciated listening to your podcast with @Sinkas and I especially liked the part of the conversation when you spoke about connecting with each other as humans. This is exactly what great videos can do. In fact, I donā€™t think we would have heard your conversation if the mission request for the Delegate Corner podcast wasnā€™t approved last season (and this podcast played a big role in attracting my team to Optimism). This mission request can provide an opportunity for many talented creators to make similar educational podcasts and all kinds of other impactful videos.

I hope you can see the benefits of this mission request and would appreciate your support for more video creators. Feel free to reach out with any questions or comments :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I think that simplify publishing content about Optimism isnā€™t enough, there is already a huge amount of content on this topic, the main problem is that not everyone knows about its existence

2 Likes

Hey @DSPYT, thanks for reviewing and sharing your thoughts. I agree that just publishing content isnā€™t enough, itā€™s important that people watch videos about Optimism and we need to reach more people. This is why this mission request includes expected deliverables that include engagement metrics (like views, shares, and mints) for the Collective to measure the missionā€™s progress and impact.

1 Like

Hey Diego,

Thank you for reading and sharing your perspective, I watched some of the videos that you created with Cryptoversidad today and really enjoyed them. The video series provides an awesome educational resource about Optimism and I like the exciting production style. It reminds me a bit of Coinbase Earn and itā€™d be cool to create a program where newcomers watch your videos while onboarding into the Collective. Thanks for all the great work!

I agree that distribution of existing content is a problem that we need to solve, but itā€™s also very important for the Optimism Collective to support new video creators and different types of videos as well. Please see the messages that Rosmari wrote to Katie and Santi above for several reasons why this is so valuable. I hope youā€™ll see how this Mission Request can greatly help foster a thriving ecosystem of video creators who promote each otherā€™s content for the benefit of Optimism.

Your video series inspired me with some exciting ideas and I hope weā€™ll get the chance to collaborate in the future. By the way, Rosmari and I both promoted your video series in todayā€™s Optimism Fractal event. Weā€™ll publish the video on our media page soon so you can watch it and I can share some ideas to further promote your videos after I watch the rest of the series. Iā€™m curious to hear your thoughts, feel free to reach out with any questions or comments :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey DAODude, thanks the reviewing and sharing your feedback!

As per @kaeresteā€™s latest comment, the budget is up to 7,000 OP so this allows applicants to make proposals for less funding. Apologies for the confusion and thanks for flagging. I agree that videos can be created for free at first, but there are several reasons why itā€™s helpful to provide funding opportunities to video creators with this kind of mission:

• Video creators can make better videos when they have the financial security they need to commit resources and build their businesses with this kind of milestone-based funding
  • Video creators will be more likely to create impactful videos with extra incentives and inspiration provided by this mission request. Itā€™s crucial to attract talented video creators, who often have many opportunities and may not be inclined to work without compensation.
  • The mission request template recommends a 50/50 split between missions and RetroPGF funding. It can be helpful for creators to diversify their income and set their own budget in this mission proposal, rather than relying only on badgeholdersā€™ votes in RetroPGF.
  • Working with milestones in mission requests can accelerate video content creation by providing structure and accountability.

I hope this helps clarify the funding amount and benefits of funding video creators in advance. Curious to hear your thoughts!

1 Like

Hey Jack,

Thank you for the thoughtful comments and the question. Apologies for the confusion about the budget. As per @kaeresteā€™s latest comment, the budget is up to 7,000 OP so that may change your perspective on the total amount of funding the mission request proposes.

I encourage you to read the previous response to see why itā€™s helpful to provide video creators with another option in addition to RetroPGF. While itā€™s true that video content is common across the internet and can be difficult to measure in advance, there is a lack of many helpful types of videos in Optimism and the creation of these videos can create a huge impact. Itā€™s also worth noting that success isnā€™t exclusively tied to past achievements. New creators with fresh ideas and skills can also produce content that resonates deeply with audiences, especially with a flexible mission request like this that is designed to set the stage for many great video creators.

I see an exciting future where this mission request inspires many video creators to start making impactful videos for Optimism. What do you thinkā€¦ does this mission request make more sense to you now?

Also tagging @0xDonPepe here, I appreciate your feedback and am curious to hear more of your thoughts.

1 Like

We are an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and we believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

2 Likes