Season 6 Nominations: Grants Council

Dan Singjoy Self-Nomination

Hey everyone, I’m excited to nominate myself to serve in the Grants Council. Please feel free to reach out with any questions. Thanks!

Council sub-committee: Optimism Mission Reviewer

If you are a delegate, please provide the link to your delegate profile: N/A

If you are a delegate, please indicate what % of votable supply is delegated to you: N/A

If you are a delegate, please indicate your voting participation rate in OP governance to date: N/A

Please link to your voting history and any voting rationale you’ve shared: N/A

Do you have a technical background?:

Yes, I have an extensive technical background and have been working in Web3 since 2017. I build tools to help communities cooperate and have hosted meetings with developers every week for the past couple years. I write technical articles to explain software innovations and create educational content to make tools more accessible for wider audiences.

I manage the Optimism Fractal notion site including a Development Hub, where I’m coordinating the development of applications built on the OP Stack. As such, I’m deeply familiar with the challenges and opportunities of builders who are applying for grants. I’ve been working full time in the Optimism Collective for a year and have an detailed understanding of the Superchain ecosystem.

In addition, I’ve also created many websites and am experienced with HTML and CSS. I’ve experimented with smart contract development in command line interfaces and IDEs for dozens of hours. In my ten year career as a content creator I’ve developed deep expertise in many technical aspects of creative endeavors, including video livestreaming, media production, and sound engineering in electronic music. I am comfortable with Github, EVM, AI, and a wide variety of other technical tools.

On a related note, I created a grant proposal for the Builders Subcommittee in Cycle 15 of Season 4 and it reached the final stages of review. During this time I carefully read all the Grants Council procedures, relayed information while coordinating with team members, and communicated with several grants council reviewers. I became comfortable with Charmverse and am now closely following it’s development.

After making the proposal, I hosted several events where I shared presentations and provided detailed walkthroughs of the Grants Council Proposal processes with dozens of Web3 community leaders. Then I worked with my team to produce videos and articles of the walkthroughs, as you can see in the following links (1, 2, and 3). These articles provide an educational resource for anyone interested in participating in Optimism Grants Council programs.

In the Season 5, I created a Mission Request that was approved by delegates and this season I’m curating detailed overviews of Missions and related initiatives to help others understand the many opportunities in the Optimism Collective.

Please demonstrate any non-Optimism experience you believe is relevant to this role and/or your sub-committee:

• I hosted Hot Sauce, a weekly news show covering technical developments in the EOS ecosystem. I did all the research for each show and wrote a detailed weekly reports about technical developments in the EOS Network Foundation’s Blog for six months.

• I have been elected as a Chief Delegate and Delegate in Eden Elections to lead a community of over 400 members who conduct onchain fractal democracy elections and distribute funds to builders. This initiative raised approximately $1.5 million, which I helped distribute after being elected in three seasons. You can learn more about this community here.

• I hosted educational interviews and open discussions with other builders of this community on a show called Eden Town Hall. This experience as a delegate and educator in another Web3 ecosystem provides me with experience to responsibly, efficiently, and effectively allocate funding for the benefit of a community.

Have you previously served in a representative (appointed or elected) role in the Collective? No

Please outline your contributions, and their impact, to the Optimism ecosystem to date:

• Founder and host of Optimism Fractal, a community dedicated to fostering collaboration and awarding public good creators on Optimism. We host weekly events where builders in Superchain network, promote their work, and evaluate each other’s impact with onchain attestations in an innovative social game. Optimism Fractal is optimizing collective governance with a council and other decision-making processes enabled by Respect, a soulbound reputation token earned by helping Optimism. So far we’ve hosted 28 events where 39 industry leaders have made hundreds of onchain attestations with Optimism Fractal software. All events are recorded and produced with show notes for educational and entertainment purposes, as you can watch here.

• Founder of Optimystics, a team of creators growing Optimism with communities, tools, games, shows, and events. I coordinate our team’s actions by working closely working with developers who build open-source coordination software on the OP Stack and creators who make exciting content about the Optimism Collective. In addition to Optimism Fractal we’ve also hosted several other helpful events for the Optimism Collective, such as RetroPitches. You can explore the blog, videos, and tools on the website linked above for details about our contributions to the Optimism ecosystem.

• Creator and host of Optimism Town Hall, a collaborative forum dedicated to open and structured conversations about Optimism Collective governance. This innovative event is pioneering fun social games that enable community members to prioritize topics, deliberate democratically, and form consensus on key issues by voting with onchain reputation tokens. Everyone is welcome to join the weekly events on Thursdays at 18 UTC to participate in governance discussions, pioneer the future of community coordination, and help lead the Optimism Collective.

• Founder and host of Eden Fractal, a community pioneering innovative consensus processes to optimize collective decision-making for two years. Eden Fractal has educated hundreds of people about group decision-making processes, fostered countless collaborations, and inspired the creation of dozens of communities. I’ve hosted 100 weekly events and educated many of community leaders about Optimism with live presentations and deep discussions. My team produced a lot of educational content about Optimism from the events, as you can see in this playlist.

• Founder of Eden Creators, a media outlet and development shop focused on empowering communities with consensus games. In addition to producing Optimistic content from Eden Fractal meetings, I’ve published hundreds of articles in our Garden and videos on our youtube channel that provide foundational resources for the long-term success of the Optimism Collective.

Please describe your philosophy on what makes a good Mission Application:

A good Governance Fund grant should:

• Provide unique value to the Optimism ecosystem
  • Have a clear objective and action plan to succeed
  • Provide clear milestones and KPIs that are easy to assess
  • Explain how funds raised will help accomplish the goal
  • Be communicated in an accurate and simple manner
  • Set an example that reflects well upon the Optimism Collective

What types of Mission Requests do you think will help achieve the Season 6 Intents?:

Mission Requests that attract builders and innovators to Optimism will help achieve the Season 6 Intents. The Superchain is poised for exponential growth and Optimism is well positioned to bring billions of people onchain. In order to maximize our impact we should focus on Mission Requests that progress towards decentralization, bring chains to the Superchain, and attract application devs to the Superchain.

Some specific types of Mission Requests that I believe will be especially helpful to support include:

• Applications that facilitate decentralized coordination and collective governance

• Tooling that enables the Optimism Collective to more effectively reward public goods creators in Retro Funding

• Technical primitives that unlock novel use cases and remove barriers for builders to build amazing apps on the Superchain

Please disclose any anticipated conflicts of interest:

I don’t foresee any conflicts of interests at this time. If any potential conflicts of interest arise then I will communicate this immediately and act in the best interests of the Optimism Collective.

Please verify that you understand you may be removed from this role via the Representative Removal proposal type in the Operating Manual 1: Yes, I understand this.

Please verify that you understand KYC will be required to receive Council rewards at the end of Season 6: Yes, I understand this.

Please verify that you are able to commit ~20 hours / week to reviewing grant applications and other Council operations: Yes, I am able to commit to this.