[FINAL] Facilitate and empower community members to actively engage in governance through an educational course

Basic Info.

Season 4 Intent: Intent 4. Governance accessibility

TLDR: Create comprehensive, engaging, and accessible governance education to empower community members and and involve them in governance.

:point_right:t2:2min video explanation :point_left:t2:

Transparency note:

For full transparency, weā€™d like to highlight that our alliance is also proposing a separate mission under Intent 3, ā€œSpread Awareness of the Optimistic Visionā€. While both missions are rooted in creating educational resources about Optimism, they each focus on distinct aspects and aim to achieve unique objectives. You may notice similarities in some responses, as we are the same alliance, but fundamentally, each proposal carries its own distinct value and purpose

Mission Description:

This mission proposes the creation of a complete and clear educational program (course) focused on Optimism governance. Our content will provide a clear, comprehensive understanding of the governance process, decision-making structure, voting mechanisms, and the role of Token House and Badgeholders, among other key aspects. Including practical guides to navigate the Governance Forum and proposals. We believe that adding this educational material into available resources of Optimismā€™s Governance would greatly increase the quality and quantity of governance participation.

Our vision is to facilitate and empower community members to actively engage in Optimism governance, making informed decisions and playing a role in shaping the future of the ecosystem. To produce the most relevant content for the Optimism Collective, we propose a close collaboration with the Optimism Foundation, OP Labs, and Governance Delegates.

Importantly, the content will be created in both English and Spanish, broadening its reach and accessibility. This bilingual approach will cater to a diverse audience and foster a more inclusive learning environment. In future proposals, we are open to expanding the content into more languages, further promoting the global understanding of Optimism.

Our proposed educational program includes the following modules:

1. Introduction to Optimism Governance: Provides an overview of the governance structure, roles, responsibilities, and ways for community involvement.
  2. Token House and Badgeholders: Explores the roles, responsibilities, and process of becoming a Token House delegate or Badgeholder.
  3. Understanding Optimism Policies and Codes of Conduct: Covers the various policies, Code of Conduct, and the Rules of Engagement in the Optimism ecosystem.
  4. Navigating the Optimism Collective Forum: Guides users on finding information, participating in discussions, and submitting proposals in the forum.
  5. Understanding Proposals: Offers guidance on reading, understanding, and evaluating different types of proposals, including grant and budget proposals.
  6. Creating Proposals: Details the process of creating and submitting effective proposals using the proposal templates provided.
  7. Participating in Governance: Provides a step-by-step guide to active participation in governance, including voting on proposals and voicing opinions in discussions.
  8. Understanding the RetroPGF Process: Offers an overview of the RetroPGF process, its purpose, and how to participate.
  9. Engaging with the Optimism Community: Provides tips on effective communication, respectful engagement, and positive contribution to community discussions.

Upon completion, the end result will be a 2-hour course that explains all the topics above and guides people into getting involved in the governance. This course will primarily consist of animated video lessons, quizzes, and tutorials.

To give you a better idea of what weā€™re proposing, weā€™ve created a demo video that showcases the style, quality, and approach of the educational content we plan to create. You can take a look at it here!

Support needed from the Collective

• Collaborate closely with members from the Optimism Foundation, OP Labs, and Governance Delegates to receive feedback on scripts and align content.
  • Including the course in Optimism resources: Ideally on the governance Forum and Governance documentation, for ease of accesbility.
  • Signal support and alignment of content by using it within the ecosystem and social media.

In the spirit of openness and collective ownership, we want to make it clear that all the educational content produced as part of this mission will be free for use by any individual, organization, or entity interested in learning more about Optimism. Additionally, all materials will carry the Optimism branding, reflecting their origin and alignment with the collectiveā€™s vision and values.

About our Alliance

Alliance name: Cryptoversidad Team

Alliance Lead: Diego Mares

Members, descriptions and links.

1. Diego: Founder and leader of Cryptoversidad. Also contributes to EthMexico, EthKipu, EthGlobal, and EthDenver.
  2. Ben**:** Co-founder and adviser, guiding the business direction of the project.
  3. Pilar: Head of Research. In charge of our Educational Platform and researching/scripting our amazing content. Also, Push Ambassador.
  4. Dani: Audiovisual Producer. The hand behind our amazing animations.
  5. Robert: Operations Assistant. Helps identify and solve all types of problems! (Push Ambassador and EthLima Lead
  6. Lore: Comms. The mind behind social media, she nurtures the community.

Our previous work at Cryptoversidad.

• Created more than 50 hours of high-quality content for free.
  • Reached more than 82k people with our content.
  • We were grant recipients with the Ethereum Foundation to create content about Ethereum.
  • Weā€™ve worked multiple times with Aave Grants DAO to explain their protocol.
  • Launched a free Spanish course for begginers to get onboarded into blockchain and Ethereum.
  • Weā€™ve hosted more than 20 online events, participated in Devcon, EthLatam, EthMexico and EthColombia as speakers/volunteers.

What makes your Alliance well-suited to execute this Mission?

Our Alliance has a unique blend of a deep understanding of blockchain technology, strong educational capabilities, and expertise in audiovisual production. The following three key strengths underscore our potential to execute this mission successfully and exceptionally.

1. Extensive Experience: We have a rich history of creating educational content in the crypto space, demonstrating our adeptness at clearly and effectively explaining intricate concepts and systems. Our content is renowned for its accessibility and clarity.
  2. Innovative Animation Style: Our cutting-edge animation style is not only engaging but also aids comprehension of complex subjects. By leveraging striking graphics, seamless transitions, and a range of visual elements, we transform challenging topics into digestible and captivating content. See our demo here
  3. Alignment with Optimism: We are deeply committed to the vision and values of Optimism, which is reflected in our content and approach. Our passion for this area ensures our work resonates with the mission of spreading awareness about Optimism.

Evaluation of progress and success

Explain how this Mission will help accomplish the above intent:

The mission aims to create a comprehensive educational resource about Optimism governance, which aligns directly with the intent to facilitate and explain Optimism governance. By empowering community members with knowledge and tools, we hope to increase active participation and informed decision-making within the governance process.

Critical Milestones.

1. Planning and scripting Content: Developing a detailed plan for each video in the series and drafting scripts that are clear and easy to understand. (Expected duration: 3 weeks)
  2. Reviewing and feedback: Reviewing the content with experts and the community, making necessary changes, and finalizing the scripts. Support from different members of the Collective is important to create the most aligned content (Expected duration: 1 week)
  3. Production: Creating high-quality animations and recording voiceovers for each video. (Expected duration: 4-5 weeks)
  4. Launch and completion: Releasing the video series, incorporating it into Optimism Documentation, sharing it with the community, and gathering feedback. (Due September 9th)

How should Token House delegates measure progress towards this Mission?

Token House delegates can assess progress towards this mission by monitoring the achievement of each milestone detailed in the timeline provided above. We will post updates to the Governance Forum every 2 weeks.

How should Badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?These should be focused on performance. KPIā€™s recommended.

Badgeholders can measure the impact of this mission using the following 3 KPIā€™s:

1. Increased Participation: An increase in the number of active participants in governance discussions and voting can be a clear indicator of success.
  2. Quality of Proposals: Improvements in the quality of proposals submitted to the Optimism governance process, as measured by the depth, clarity, and relevance of the proposals.
  3. Feedback and Engagement with Content: High engagement rates with the content (views, shares, comments), and positive feedback from the community would indicate the contentā€™s effectiveness.

Contact details and other stuff

Proposal Tier: Fledgling Tier, as we were recipients of RPGF round 2, in the education section.

Baseline grant amount: 30k OP

% of total available Intent Budget: 1%

Ask for small upfront grant: Yes.

Contact info:

L2 recipient address: 0xb6d60c8D85609846D4e1a40B409Ac08ec413D27F

Breakdown of Mission Budget request

We request 30k OP for the completion of the project, details below.

In order to provide a comprehensive understanding of our budget request, we have analyzed similar proposals that have been approved or proposed within the Optimism community.

• Bankless Academy was granted 33k OP for the creation of a single lesson about L2ā€™s. This project was approved and successfully executed, providing a valuable educational resource for the community.
  • Another project, the Optimistic Series, which included a podcast, newsletter, and quests, was approved with a budget of 30k OP. This multi-faceted project provided a variety of resources for community members to engage with and learn from.
  • A proposed project by Bankless Academy for a single lesson about Optimism has a proposed budget of 38k OP. This project, if approved, will provide a focused educational resource on Optimism.Our mission involves the creation of a comprehensive educational program about Optimism Governance. Given the scope and the impactful content we aim to produce, we are confident that our budget request accurately reflects the significant value we intend to bring to the Optimism community.

Hereā€™s the budget breakdown:

1. Content Development: 10k OP - This covers the research, planning, and scripting for each video in the series, forming the educational foundation of our project.
  2. Design and Translation: 5k OP - This budget will be used for designing visual elements for the videos and translating content to make it accessible to a broader audience.
  3. Animation and Video Production: 10k OP - This portion of the budget is allocated for creating high-quality animations and recording voiceovers for each video, a resource-intensive but crucial part of the project.
  4. Project Management: 5k OP - This covers the costs associated with coordinating the project, including scheduling, communication, and ensuring timely progress.

We acknowledge the 1-year lockup rule and have factored it into our mission completion strategy. We are confident in our ability to execute this mission successfully within the stipulated timeframe.

Terms and Conditionsāœ…

I confirm that my grant will be subject to clawback for failure to execute on critical milestones: Yes

I confirm that I have read and understand the grant policies: Yes

I understand that I will be required to provide additional KYC information to the Optimism Foundation to receive this grant: Yes

I understand that I will be expected to following the public grant reporting requirements outlined here: Yes

Lastly, hereā€™s a sneak peek of the style and quality of the educational videos we plan to create, weā€™re sure youā€™ll like it!

2 Likes

Hi @dmars300

Reviewing this proposal, I can say that:

• Is well structured and detailed
  • Fit with the current scope
  • Still there a room to be more creative though
  • I would like to see more creativity in the onboarding process, maybe real tasks/experiments or running a final project to improve any part of the governance process.

So, besides the suggestions, this proposal seems good to pass to vote.

1 Like

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power, and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

1 Like

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power , and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote

1 Like

This is interesting and even though I need to dig into the detail Iā€™d like to have that possibility in the voting period.

I am a delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this should be put to a vote.

1 Like

404 DAO would also like to the opportunity to explore this proposal further during a voting period. 404 DAO is an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and believe this should be put up to a vote.

2 Likes

The mission to create a comprehensive educational program focused on Optimism governance is truly impressive! Taking this step to empower and involve your community in the governance process is fantastic. Ensuring that the educational materials are clear and comprehensive will help community members become more informed about governance topics. This will enable them to make informed decisions and contribute more effectively to the Optimism ecosystem.

2 Likes

Thank your for your comment!
Our goal is to empower and involve the community in Optimism governance through a comprehensive educational program. Clear and comprehensive materials will help community members make informed decisions and contribute effectively. We appreciate your recognition and look forward to working with the community to create a valuable resource.
Weā€™re still way behind the votes we need to receive the grant for this proposal, weā€™d appreciate your support and vote. In addition, please let me know if thereā€™s any questions or feedback you have!
Thanks,

1 Like

I voted yes on the other proposal ([FINAL] Develop the most relevant and aligned audiovisual content for the Optimism Collective - #21 by linda). I personally would prefer to see how that one goes before voting for 2 simultaneous mission grants (even if they are different intents). I prioritized voting for the broader one focused on Optimistic Vision since I feel that would have the most reach/impact.

2 Likes

@linda Thank you for sharing your perspective and for voting in favor of the other proposal. We understand your preference for prioritizing the broader mission focused on the Optimistic Vision. Your input and thoughtful consideration are appreciated.

I am torn here. As someone who helps lead a governance team looking for new members, I understand the value of a resource that makes onboarding into governance easy. I really do believe that trying to figure out everything that goes into Optimism Governance is a headache, and this is a barrier to entry into participating. So I agree with the problem being targeted here.

Iā€™m torn on the solution. Though I think goose-hunting through the forum to figure stuff out is a poor way to learn how governance works in Optimism, Iā€™m also unsure of a course style. Full disclosure, I dislike courses. I much prefer something hands-on. I also think the only way to really onboard into governance is to get on the forum and ask questions. Also, Optimism governance policies change frequently. By the time this course gets finished it might be outdated within a month or two.

Iā€™m leaning towards against. But Iā€™ll check in with my co-lead to see if he has a different opinion. Also, if I am missing something please let me know. Iā€™m open to being wrong here.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate your insights. I understand your concerns about the course style and the need for hands-on learning. Iā€™m open to hearing your ideas and suggestions to improve the onboarding experience. Your input is valuable in shaping our approach.
@chaselb

1 Like