Season 4 Intent: Intent 4. Governance accessibility
TLDR: Create comprehensive, engaging, and accessible governance education to empower community members and and involve them in governance.
For full transparency, we’d like to highlight that our alliance is also proposing a separate mission under Intent 3, “Spread Awareness of the Optimistic Vision”. While both missions are rooted in creating educational resources about Optimism, they each focus on distinct aspects and aim to achieve unique objectives. You may notice similarities in some responses, as we are the same alliance, but fundamentally, each proposal carries its own distinct value and purpose
This mission proposes the creation of a complete and clear educational program (course) focused on Optimism governance. Our content will provide a clear, comprehensive understanding of the governance process, decision-making structure, voting mechanisms, and the role of Token House and Badgeholders, among other key aspects. Including practical guides to navigate the Governance Forum and proposals. We believe that adding this educational material into available resources of Optimism’s Governance would greatly increase the quality and quantity of governance participation.
Our vision is to facilitate and empower community members to actively engage in Optimism governance, making informed decisions and playing a role in shaping the future of the ecosystem. To produce the most relevant content for the Optimism Collective, we propose a close collaboration with the Optimism Foundation, OP Labs, and Governance Delegates.
Importantly, the content will be created in both English and Spanish, broadening its reach and accessibility. This bilingual approach will cater to a diverse audience and foster a more inclusive learning environment. In future proposals, we are open to expanding the content into more languages, further promoting the global understanding of Optimism.
Our proposed educational program includes the following modules:
- Introduction to Optimism Governance: Provides an overview of the governance structure, roles, responsibilities, and ways for community involvement.
- Token House and Badgeholders: Explores the roles, responsibilities, and process of becoming a Token House delegate or Badgeholder.
- Understanding Optimism Policies and Codes of Conduct: Covers the various policies, Code of Conduct, and the Rules of Engagement in the Optimism ecosystem.
- Navigating the Optimism Collective Forum: Guides users on finding information, participating in discussions, and submitting proposals in the forum.
- Understanding Proposals: Offers guidance on reading, understanding, and evaluating different types of proposals, including grant and budget proposals.
- Creating Proposals: Details the process of creating and submitting effective proposals using the proposal templates provided.
- Participating in Governance: Provides a step-by-step guide to active participation in governance, including voting on proposals and voicing opinions in discussions.
- Understanding the RetroPGF Process: Offers an overview of the RetroPGF process, its purpose, and how to participate.
- Engaging with the Optimism Community: Provides tips on effective communication, respectful engagement, and positive contribution to community discussions.
Upon completion, the end result will be a 2-hour course that explains all the topics above and guides people into getting involved in the governance. This course will primarily consist of animated video lessons, quizzes, and tutorials.
To give you a better idea of what we’re proposing, we’ve created a demo video that showcases the style, quality, and approach of the educational content we plan to create. You can take a look at it here!
Support needed from the Collective
- Collaborate closely with members from the Optimism Foundation, OP Labs, and Governance Delegates to receive feedback on scripts and align content.
- Including the course in Optimism resources: Ideally on the governance Forum and Governance documentation, for ease of accesbility.
- Signal support and alignment of content by using it within the ecosystem and social media.
In the spirit of openness and collective ownership, we want to make it clear that all the educational content produced as part of this mission will be free for use by any individual, organization, or entity interested in learning more about Optimism. Additionally, all materials will carry the Optimism branding, reflecting their origin and alignment with the collective’s vision and values.
Alliance name: Cryptoversidad Team
Alliance Lead: Diego Mares
Members, descriptions and links.
- Diego: Founder and leader of Cryptoversidad. Also contributes to EthMexico, EthKipu, EthGlobal, and EthDenver.
- Ben**:** Co-founder and adviser, guiding the business direction of the project.
- Pilar: Head of Research. In charge of our Educational Platform and researching/scripting our amazing content. Also, Push Ambassador.
- Dani: Audiovisual Producer. The hand behind our amazing animations.
- Robert: Operations Assistant. Helps identify and solve all types of problems! (Push Ambassador and EthLima Lead
- Lore: Comms. The mind behind social media, she nurtures the community.
- Created more than 50 hours of high-quality content for free.
- Reached more than 82k people with our content.
- We were grant recipients with the Ethereum Foundation to create content about Ethereum.
- We’ve worked multiple times with Aave Grants DAO to explain their protocol.
- Launched a free Spanish course for begginers to get onboarded into blockchain and Ethereum.
- We’ve hosted more than 20 online events, participated in Devcon, EthLatam, EthMexico and EthColombia as speakers/volunteers.
Our Alliance has a unique blend of a deep understanding of blockchain technology, strong educational capabilities, and expertise in audiovisual production. The following three key strengths underscore our potential to execute this mission successfully and exceptionally.
- Extensive Experience: We have a rich history of creating educational content in the crypto space, demonstrating our adeptness at clearly and effectively explaining intricate concepts and systems. Our content is renowned for its accessibility and clarity.
- Innovative Animation Style: Our cutting-edge animation style is not only engaging but also aids comprehension of complex subjects. By leveraging striking graphics, seamless transitions, and a range of visual elements, we transform challenging topics into digestible and captivating content. See our demo here
- Alignment with Optimism: We are deeply committed to the vision and values of Optimism, which is reflected in our content and approach. Our passion for this area ensures our work resonates with the mission of spreading awareness about Optimism.
Explain how this Mission will help accomplish the above intent:
The mission aims to create a comprehensive educational resource about Optimism governance, which aligns directly with the intent to facilitate and explain Optimism governance. By empowering community members with knowledge and tools, we hope to increase active participation and informed decision-making within the governance process.
- Planning and scripting Content: Developing a detailed plan for each video in the series and drafting scripts that are clear and easy to understand. (Expected duration: 3 weeks)
- Reviewing and feedback: Reviewing the content with experts and the community, making necessary changes, and finalizing the scripts. Support from different members of the Collective is important to create the most aligned content (Expected duration: 1 week)
- Production: Creating high-quality animations and recording voiceovers for each video. (Expected duration: 4-5 weeks)
- Launch and completion: Releasing the video series, incorporating it into Optimism Documentation, sharing it with the community, and gathering feedback. (Due September 9th)
How should Token House delegates measure progress towards this Mission?
Token House delegates can assess progress towards this mission by monitoring the achievement of each milestone detailed in the timeline provided above. We will post updates to the Governance Forum every 2 weeks.
How should Badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?These should be focused on performance. KPI’s recommended.
Badgeholders can measure the impact of this mission using the following 3 KPI’s:
- Increased Participation: An increase in the number of active participants in governance discussions and voting can be a clear indicator of success.
- Quality of Proposals: Improvements in the quality of proposals submitted to the Optimism governance process, as measured by the depth, clarity, and relevance of the proposals.
- Feedback and Engagement with Content: High engagement rates with the content (views, shares, comments), and positive feedback from the community would indicate the content’s effectiveness.
Proposal Tier: Fledgling Tier, as we were recipients of RPGF round 2, in the education section.
Baseline grant amount: 30k OP
% of total available Intent Budget: 1%
Ask for small upfront grant: Yes.
L2 recipient address: 0xb6d60c8D85609846D4e1a40B409Ac08ec413D27F
We request 30k OP for the completion of the project, details below.
In order to provide a comprehensive understanding of our budget request, we have analyzed similar proposals that have been approved or proposed within the Optimism community.
- Bankless Academy was granted 33k OP for the creation of a single lesson about L2’s. This project was approved and successfully executed, providing a valuable educational resource for the community.
- Another project, the Optimistic Series, which included a podcast, newsletter, and quests, was approved with a budget of 30k OP. This multi-faceted project provided a variety of resources for community members to engage with and learn from.
- A proposed project by Bankless Academy for a single lesson about Optimism has a proposed budget of 38k OP. This project, if approved, will provide a focused educational resource on Optimism.Our mission involves the creation of a comprehensive educational program about Optimism Governance. Given the scope and the impactful content we aim to produce, we are confident that our budget request accurately reflects the significant value we intend to bring to the Optimism community.
Here’s the budget breakdown:
- Content Development: 10k OP - This covers the research, planning, and scripting for each video in the series, forming the educational foundation of our project.
- Design and Translation: 5k OP - This budget will be used for designing visual elements for the videos and translating content to make it accessible to a broader audience.
- Animation and Video Production: 10k OP - This portion of the budget is allocated for creating high-quality animations and recording voiceovers for each video, a resource-intensive but crucial part of the project.
- Project Management: 5k OP - This covers the costs associated with coordinating the project, including scheduling, communication, and ensuring timely progress.
We acknowledge the 1-year lockup rule and have factored it into our mission completion strategy. We are confident in our ability to execute this mission successfully within the stipulated timeframe.
I confirm that my grant will be subject to clawback for failure to execute on critical milestones: Yes
I confirm that I have read and understand the grant policies: Yes
I understand that I will be required to provide additional KYC information to the Optimism Foundation to receive this grant: Yes
I understand that I will be expected to following the public grant reporting requirements outlined here: Yes
Lastly, here’s a sneak peek of the style and quality of the educational videos we plan to create, we’re sure you’ll like it!