[DRAFT] Unitap : Optimism governance Learning by doing

Mission Proposal

S4 Intent: Governance Accessibility (Intent 4)

Proposed Mission: Optimism governance Learning by doing the program

[Proposal Tier](Collective Trust Tiers - #2 33): Ember

Baseline grant amount: 90k OP

% of total available Intent budget: 3%

Alliance: Unitap

Alliance Lead: Ali

Contact info: Telegram: @alariarch - Email: team@unitap.app

L2 recipient address: 0x95F2177022e7B34D84498F2D9dd63a7457ab5793

Please list the members of your Alliance and link to any previous work:

Please explain how this Mission will help accomplish the above Intent:

TL;DR: The Optimism governance Learning by Doing program will be a gamified & practical learning experience with on-chain & off-chain challenges resulting in attestations on the Optimism blockchain & Sybil-resistant reward distribution mechanism. The experience is built both for Optimism users & newbies.

Important disclosure: The development of this mission has a significant overlap with the development of the Join the Optimistic Future NOW mission for intent 3. If both get funding, we will give back the development budget of Token Tap & Learn Tap for one grant (60,000 OP).

Why OP, that is the question.

While many asked When token?.. The Optimism collective focused on why the token. Their answer is simple: ā€œTo distribute control of the network for the benefit of the protocol and its constituents.ā€

Blockchain governance: An exciting problem to address.

Blockchain governance is still in its infancy with many exciting experiments all over the blockchain space. The Optimism Collective is innovating through a bicameral governance system & quick iterations. This one-of-a-kind experiment in addition to the explicit intention to self-destruct and iterate the governance process is likely to lead to better governance structures that fulfill the vision of Impact = Profit. However, in the context of governance apathy, overwhelming shipping of innovation & competition for user attention. We need more engaging ways to involve the Optimism constituents in Governance.

How to make governance learning & engagement attractive?

We believe that making governance learning & engagement attractive is not easy to do & would likely require some experimentation & iteration itself. However, we want to experiment with a novel approach on Optimism. The Optimism governance Learning by Doing program has 5 key elements that we believe will make it succeed.

1. Simple onboarding. The experience would be hosted on https://unitap.app/ a platform designed as a one-stop-shop to onboard new users to blockchain networks & dapps. Unitap will host 6 taps (Gas Tap, Token Tap, Learn Tap, Prize Tap, Stake Tap & Launch Tap)

New users can obtain gas to try out a new blockchain on the Sybil-resistant Gas Tap & use the Learn Tap to learn about Optimism, complete challenges & get rewarded all in the same place.

1. Gamified experience. The program will have a gamified experience featuring challenges & rewards to boost engagement.

2. Completion attestations. We will use the attestation station to certify that the user has learned about the governance process & performed actions on Optimism. These attestations can be used to prove that delegates & token holders understand the Optimism governance. Many use cases may ripple out of these attestations including delegates elections, airdrops, etc.

3. $OP Incentivizes to learn & engage in governance: There are probably few use cases more justifiable to give OP rewards than learning about the Optimism governance process.

4. Fair distribution: Unitap uses BrightID battle-tested Sybil-resistant technology to avoid exploitations & fairly distribute the rewards (One reward - one person).

Content & format of the Optimism governance Learning by doing the program.

We would love to work with the Optimism Collective to polish the content of the program. We plan to develop the following topics for the program:

• Impact=profit
  • Token house & Citizens house
  • Why will Optimism Governance self-destruct? - The iterative process to get governance right.
  • The working constitution.
  • The Governance process manual
  • The role of the Optimism Foundation

The format will include reads, videos, quizzes & on-chain/off-chain challenges. Some examples that we may add for Optimism are:

• Claim OP
  • Buy OP
  • Delegate your OP
  • Vote with your OP
  • Mint an Optimist NFT (when available)

One last thought by Confucius.

ā€œTell me and I will forget, show me and I may remember; involve me and I will understand.ā€
ā€• Confucius

What makes your Alliance well-suited to execute this Mission?

Unitap shares founders & communities with BrightID, a reputable organization in web3 with tens of thousands of users. The team has been in crypto since 2016 & worked together in BrightID since 2017. Unitap inherits the expertise of BrightID regarding proof of uniqueness. Furthermore, it may also inherit the large user base of BrightID.

The team members of this alliance bring unique skills to execute this mission.

• Ali will be the PM & make sure we deliver on time. He is an experienced PM and businessman helping Unitap grow.

• Adam leads the technical development. Adam is the co-founder of BrightID, Aura & Unitap and has vast experience delivering far more complicated products.

• Paslar is a very experienced biz-dev and will help us make our voices heard.

• Bastin will build the smart contracts & back-end needed for this project. As well as the integration with the attestation station.

Weā€™ve worked together as a team before, here are links to our previous work:

• Links to previous work or track record

Please list a critical milestone. The critical milestone should be a measure of whether youā€™ve made the best efforts to execute what is outlined in this proposal or not. If you fail to achieve your critical milestone, your grant may be clawed back.

• Critical Milestone 1: Launch of the Token Tap. July 20th
  • Critical Milestone 2: Final design of the learning journey & incentives. September 10th
  • Critical Milestone 3: Launch of the Learn Tap. September 18th
  • Critical Milestone 4: Launch the program with integrations with Optimism Governance & the attestation station. September 20th

How should Token House delegates measure progress towards this Mission: These should focus on progress towards completion. Including expected completion dates for each is recommended.

• Token Tap smart contracts should be deployed & connected to the Unitap Dapp (https://unitap.app/) by July 20th.
  • Publish theā€œOptimism Governance learning by doing programā€ learning journey & incentives on the forum to gather feedback by September 1st.
  • Learn Tap should be live on the Unitap Dapp (https://unitap.app/) by September 18th.
  • An MVP of the ā€œOptimism Governance learning by doing the programā€ should be live & able to mint attestations from those who finish the program & engage with Optimism governance by September 20th.
  • Have 1500+ unique users* that initiated the ā€œOptimism Governance learning by doing the programā€ by December 20th.
  • Have 1000+ unique users* with attestations that prove the completion of the ā€œOptimism Governance learning by doing the programā€ by December 20th.

*We are using Sybil-resistant technology.

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission? These should be focused on performance and may be used by badgeholders to assess your Missonā€™s impact in the next round of RetroPGF.

• Any performance beyond the 1000 unique users with an attestation of finalizing the program.
  • 70%+ attestations of users completing the program in comparison to the users starting it.
  • Positive feedback or testimonials from users, OP token holders & delegates.
  • An increase in total delegates, delegation, voting, & overall participation in the governance processes of Optimism.

Breakdown of Mission budget request:

Total budget request: 90,000 OP

Budget breakdown:

• Token Tap development: 50,000 USD (25,000 USD funded by Unitap). We will ask 20,000 OP.
  • Learn Tap development: 125,000 USD (50,000 USD funded by Unitap). We will ask 40,000 OP.
  • Join the Optimistic Future NOW program development: 10,000 OP
  • Attestations schemas creation & integration: 10,000 OP
  • Incentives for those who finish the program: 10,000 OP (2,000 claims of 5 OP)
  • Total: 90,000 OP

I confirm that my grant will be subject to clawback for failure to execute on critical milestones: Yes

I confirm that I have read and understand the grant policies: Yes

I understand that I will be required to provide additional KYC information to the Optimism Foundation to receive this grant: Yes

I understand that I will be expected to following the public grant reporting requirements outlined here: Yes

3 Likes

Hi Ali,

Your proposal has caught my attention and I must say, Iā€™m quite impressed. The emphasis on experiential learning through ā€˜doingā€™ resonates strongly with our own mission.

We, too, are working on a project that has a significant overlap with yours. Our focus is on developing a comprehensive course on Optimism Governance, which will delve into both the theoretical and practical aspects of the governance structure.

I believe thereā€™s a great opportunity here for us to collaborate. By integrating your hands-on activities and on-chain verification with our educational content, we could create a more holistic and impactful learning experience.

Together, we can certainly achieve more and make a significant contribution to the Optimism community. I invite you to take a look at our proposal here: [DRAFT] Facilitate and empower community members to actively engage in governance through an educational course

Looking forward to potentially working together!
Let me know what you thinkā€¦

2 Likes

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power, and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

We would love to get more feedback & support if you consider this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

Pinging some awesome engaged delegates here: @katie @mastermojo @MoneyManDoug @max-andrew @olimpio

Hello. We had a similar question in your other proposal, but how are you going to get new users onto the platform once it is built? Also weā€™re a bit skeptical of this programā€™s ability to widen governance participation without some structural changes to how Optimismā€™s governance works. Considering the magnitude of this proposal, we donā€™t think there are changes to this proposal that would make it viable for us, thus we will not be approving it. However, thank you for the significant effort you put into the proposal.

Hey man
I totally understand your concern. You should notice that BrightID has a significant community of users. And also, we are partner with almost all the major EVM networks so that you can see the engagement on our social media. And regarding your concern, I would like to do a call to explain everything to you