How to Vote on Mission Requests

Approval Ranking Example

Mission Requests will be approval ranked based on the number of yes votes. Each Mission proposal must receive a minimum number of yes votes, equal to 51% of quorum. Any Mission Request that does not receive > required number of yes votes will not qualify for a budget allocation. The top ranked Mission Requests, above the minimum number of yes votes, will be accepted until the Intent Budget runs out. Intent Budgets will be calculated based on the maximum “baseline grant amount.” If a Mission Request would push the Intent Budget over the approved amount, it will not be included. Any Intent Budgets left over will be returned to the Governance Fund.

Example

Imagine the following scenario:

• Votable supply = 20M OP
  • Quorum = 6M OP (30% votable supply)
  • Minimum yes vote requirement = 3.1M OP (51% of quorum)
  • Total budget for Intent #10 = 200k OP

–

• Mission Request 1: Ask for 50k OP, 5M OP votes (all are Yes votes)
  • Mission Request 2: Ask for 50k OP, 2M OP votes (all are Yes votes)
  • Mission Request 3: Ask for 50k OP, 3.1M OP votes (all are Yes votes)
  • Mission Request 4: Ask for 75k OP, 3.1M OP votes (all are Yes votes)
  • Mission Request 5: Ask for 35k OP, 3.1M OP votes (all are Yes votes)

Outcome: Mission Request 1, 3, and 4 would get funded, as they were all above quorum and within the 200k budget. Mission Request 2 did not meet the quorum requirement. Mission Request 5 met quorum but was over the budget allocated to this Intent (including Mission Request 5 would have pushed the total to 210k OP rather than the approved 200k OP).

How to Vote: This vote utilizes approval ranking. You may place a vote to approve any number of Missions Requests you would like to approve with your full voting power. That means, in the above example, if I am a delegate with 1M OP voting power, I could cast votes as follows:

• Mission Request 1: 1M OP (approve)
  • Mission Request 2: Abstain (don’t approve)
  • Mission Request 3: 1M OP (approve)
  • Mission Request 4: Abstain (don’t approve)
  • Mission Request 5: 1M OP (approve)

As a voter, you should vote yes on all Mission Requests you think deserve funding, and you should abstain from voting on Mission Requests you do not think deserve funding. You can view some guidelines on factors to consider here.

12 Likes

What to Consider when Ranking Mission Proposals

• Missions should be specific initiatives that can be completed start-to-finish by the end of Season 4. They should not be for ongoing services or proposals that cannnot be marked done
  • Missions should help achieve the Intent they are proposed under. You should approve the Missions you believe will be most effective at acheiving the Intent. If a Mission is out of scope for a particular Intent, you should not approve that Mission.
  • Mission Proposals should not rely on the Optimism Foundation or OP Labs for implementation. Mission Proposals should be able to be executed autonomously by the Alliance, although the Foundation or Labs may choose to provide additional support.
  • You should consider the number of Missions any given Alliance member has committed to execute. While there is no limit to the number of Alliances someone can be a part of, there is a natural limit to the amount any given member can contribute.
  • You should consider whether the budget is adequate to support the milestones laid out in the proposal. Impact above and beyond what’s required to execute the proposal may be rewarded by RetroPGF in the future.

Ultimately, the decision is up to Token House delegates! Use your best judgment when evaluating Mission proposals to ensure they are value-aligned and work towards our Collective Intents, are proposed by legimate Alliances, and are scoped appropriately to be effectively evaluated in the next round of RetroPGF :red_circle: :sparkles:

5 Likes

Hey Collective, we are still a bit confused. Where do we go to cast our vote? Where can we see a list of proposals that we can actually vote on? AB is a delegate of a significant amount of OP…but we’re not sure how to vote yet.

2 Likes

Voting occurs at vote.optimism.io
Please see the Operating Manual and Governance Calendar for more info.

1 Like

Hey @AdvantageBlockchain, i’ll be happy to guide you through the onboarding and help with any questions you might have! How can I help?

Edited post to reflect delegates will be voting on Mission Requests, rather than Mission Proposals. None of the mechanics of how voting has worked have changed. Also added a link to the Mission Request Evaluation post.

1 Like

Hi, wording is bit vague here. There is this potential scenario.

Let’s say there is one more mission, no 6:

• Mission Request 6: Ask for 20k OP, 3.1M OP votes (all are Yes votes)

Does mission 6 get accepted? Yes or No?

This is very important question. Take into consideration current ballot for Intent 3. If votes have aligned like this:

Let’s say all missions meet the threshold.

1. C ask for 300k
2. E ask for 300k
3. M ask for 35k
4. D ask for 700k
5. K ask for 150k
6. A ask for 32k
7. L ask for 40k
8. B ask for 15k
9. F ask for 170k
10. I ask for 200k
11. G ask for 300k
12. J ask for 50k
13. H ask for 69k

If the answer is no, then only the first 3 missions are accepted. Of intended 1.33M, only 635K are spent.

If the answer is yes, then these requests pass:

1. C ask for 300k
2. E ask for 300k
3. M ask for 35k
5. K ask for 150k
6. A ask for 32k
7. L ask for 40k
8. B ask for 15k
9. F ask for 170k
10. I ask for 200k
12. J ask for 50k

The budget is spent up to 1.327M, and only 0.03M is unspent.

These don’t pass:

4. D ask for 700k
11. G ask for 300k

I think the way the approval-ranking system is currently designed leads to under-allocation of the budget.

I left my feedback: Season 5 Feedback Thread - #6 by MaximeServais

Imagine we have a budget of 1 million OP. The top-ranked proposal asks for 100,000 OP and gets funded. The next highest-ranked proposal requests 1,000,000 OP, which exceeds our remaining budget of 100,000 OP, so it’s not funded. Under the current system, we stop here, leaving 900,000 OP unallocated.

However, if we had a system that allowed us to fund lower-ranked proposals that fit into the remaining budget, we could potentially fund other valuable projects within that unused 900,000 OP.

1 Like