Thank you to the incredible delegates that experimented with us in Season 4:
- Delegate retro rewards: Retroactive rewards in recognition of the contributions of high impact delegates over the past Season
Season 4 introduced several foundational concepts that helped the Collective work towards important goals:
- Intents: Begin to align the entire Collective in pursuit of common strategic goals
- Trust Tiers: Begin to create a connection between one’s impact and opportunity within the Collective
- Missions: Enable the Token House to support work aligned with Intents and reward outsized Mission impact via RetroPGF
- Alliances: Scale the number of non-core teams building the Collective (alliances are now simply called teams)
- Attestations: Introduce attestations, for Grants Council Members and Co-grantors, as the basis of reputation in the Collective
Other important steps towards further decentralization included Welcoming Base to the Collective, introducing the Law of Chains, outlining the Future of Optimism Governance, and introducing 2 new proposal types: Treasury Appropriations (Foundation budget approval) and Inflation Adjustments.
Your feedback from Season 4 (via a series of community calls, retros, feedback requests, threads, and roundups) has been incorporated in support of the exciting opportunity to build upon the inititatives introduced last Season, while also introducing important new inititatives in Season 5. Governance initiatives to be considered during the Reflection Period are outlined below, organized by Intent.
- Intents: All work in the Collective should be aligned with these Intents.
- Intent Budgets: Each Intent is equipped with its own budget, to support aligned Missions throughout the Season. These budgets will be be proposed by the elected Grants Council Lead in Season 5. Intent budgets may be proposed by a new Council in S6.
- Missions v2
- The second iteration of the Mission grant process, updated based on delegate feedback
- Grants Council Operating Budget
- Prospective Grants Council Leads will run for election by submitting operating budget proposals to support Council operations
- Grants Council Elections
- Security Council:
- Season 5 will establish a Security Council that will enact upgrades for all OP Chains participating in the Superchain
- The Law of Chains is an open neutrality framework and core governing document of the Superchain, subject to Token House ratification
- Ratification of the Developer Advisory Board
- Season 5 will establish a Developer Advisory Board to aid governance with technical decisions, subject to Token House approval
- Chain Delegation Program
- Season 5 introduces a Chain Delegation Program, which will allow OP Chains to receive temporary delegation from the Governance Fund, subject to Token House approval
- Community Intent Setting
- Anticapture Commission
- Season 5 introduces an Anticapture Commission, comprised of the Collective’s highest impact delegates. If approved, the commission will receive delegation from the Governance Fund to uphold a mandate to protect the Token House from capture by any one stakeholder
- Code of Conduct
- Trust Tiers
- Trust Tiers determine the level of rewards teams can request, based on prior contributions to the Collective. Small updates have been made based on delegate feedback
- Attestations will be granted to high impact contributors such as: Council members; Developer Advisory Board members; Anticapture Commission members; Round 3 List makers; Round 3 recipients; SupportNERDs, techNERDs, NumbaNERDs, and govNERDs; Gravitrons
As always, these structures are experimental and may change, dissolve, and/or evolve over time. The initial separation of structures between the Token House and Citizens’ House is subject to change as the Citizens’ House becomes progressively more established.
I’m a delegate, what do I need to do
See a visual representation of the below here
The Foundation hosted a Season 5 AMA on October 3rd at 19:15 GMT - recording here!
Reflection Period: September 28th - October 11th
- Review proposals, provide feedback
Special Voting Cycle #16a: October 12th - October 25th
Council Nomination Period: October 26th - November 1st
Special Voting Cycle #16b: November 2nd - November 15th
Special Voting Cycle #16c: November 23rd - December 6th
RetroPGF Round 3: November 6th - December 7th
- Badgeholders will allocate 30M OP in Round 3 of RetroPGF
Season 5 Token House Prep: November 15th - December 22nd
- Token House delegates will have time to draft Delegate Mission Requests for Season 5
- The Grants Council will establish its internal operating procedures and Season 5 Charter
- The Developer Advisory Board will establish internal operating procedures, if approved
Holiday Break: December 22nd - January 4th
Season 5 begins: January 4th
- Please note regular Voting Cycles will now be 3 weeks long, instead of 5 weeks long. Each Voting Cycle will have a 2 week review period, followed by a 1 week voting period. This update will be reflected in the next update of the Operating Manual, which will occur soon.
I’m interested in contributing to the Collective!
- Working on something aligned with the Intents? Get a Grant!
- Check out our Mission Application Guide and then:
- Apply for a Delegate Mission Request by submitting an application on any time before the submission deadline. Approved Delegate Mission Requests will be posted (Optimism Ecosystem Contributions 🔴✨ · GitHub) in January.
- Apply for a Foundation Mission Request by submitting an application on Github any time before the submission deadline
- Learn more about RetroPGF and how your past contributions may be rewarded for their impact in the future. Check out contribution ideas here!