Delegate Guide: How to Create a Delegate Mission Request

Delegate Guide: How to Create a Delegate Mission Request

What’s a Mission Request?

How Do I Create a Delegate Mission Request?

• If you are a Top 100 Delegate: You may create a Delegate Mission Request using the below template. You may reference Foundation Mission Requests as an example.

Delegate Mission Request Template

Delegate Mission Request Summary: Mission Requests should be tightly scoped and well-specified. You can see examples here. You should describe your Mission Request in 1-2 sentences here.

S5 Intent: Please list the Intent your Request aligns with here

Proposing Delegate: Delegate name/pseudonym, linked to delegate profile

Proposal Tier: Please specify the Tier required for Mission Applications under this Request (ie. applications must be submitted by teams at the Fledging Tier)

Baseline grant amount: This amount should reflect the minimum amount required to execute the Mission. Additional rewards may be received via RetroPGF, based on impact/outperformance. We recommend a 50/50 split between Mission/RetroPGF rewards in Season 5 to incentivize quality execution. Over time, the proportion of baseline grant to retroactive rewards should shift towards RetroPGF until everything is funded by RetroPGF.

Should this Foundation Mission be fulfilled by one or multiple applicants: Select from: “One,” “Up to X” or “Multiple”

Submit by: To be set by Grants Council

Selection by: To be set by Grants Council

Start date: If applicable

Completion date: If applicable. Please note Missions must be completed within 12 months (i.e. marked as done).

Specification

How will this Delegate Mission Request help accomplish the above Intent?

• Please explain alignment with the relevant Intent

What is required to execute this Delegate Mission Request?

• Please list responsibilities and/or expected deliverables

How should the Token House measure progress towards this Mission?

• These measures should focus on progress towards completion. Including expected completion dates for each is recommended
  • Please be as specific as possible in defining measures of progress so that Token House delegates can accurately track execution

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

• These measures should be focused on performance and may be used by badgeholders to assess your Misson’s impact in the next round of RetroPGF
  • Please be as specific as possible in defining measures of impact so that Citizens’ House badgeholders can accurately measure the grant’s impact

*Have you engaged a Grant-as-a-service provider for this Mission Request? If so, please disclose the details of this arrangement, to the extent possible:

*Has anyone other than the Proposing Delegate contributed to this Mission Request? If so, who, and what parts of this application did they contribute to?

Application Instructions:

To be defined by the Grants Council in accordance with their internal operating procedures. Mission Applications must collect email addresses and twitter handles. Applications should specify whether they are applying for a growth or builders grants or a combination of the two (in which case, the proportion of rewards should be clear.) Suggested Template here.

How Are Delegate Mission Requests Approved?

• Mission Requests will only be proposed and approved at the beginning of each Season. You can think of this as the Collective’s bi-annual budgeting process; it only happens at the beginning of each Season. While this creates some limitations, this process is designed to prioritize work and incentivize execution, which are common challenges in many DAOs. This process will not occur again until Season 6.
  • In the first Voting Cycle of Season 5 (Voting Cycle #17), the Top 100 delegates may create Mission Requests using the template provided above. These Missions Requests should be posted to the forum.
  • As with all proposals, each Delegate Mission Requests will need 4 delegate approvals to move to a vote. Missions Requests under Intent #1 must get 1 of the 4 approvals from the Developer Advisory Board, if approved. If delegates do not believe a proposal works towards the specified Intent, they should not approve it. See Delegate Guide: Voting Schedule for precise deadlines.
Improvements to the approval process relative to Season 4

- More delegates with approval power: The Top 100 delegates may provide approvals. This expands the number of delegates able to provide approval relative to Season 4, which was limited to delegates with > 0.25% voting power

- Clear approval process: The Top 100 delegates may opt-in to provide approvals for Mission Requests under a specific Intent. Mission Requests will then be evenly and randomly distributed among delegates which have opted-in to review Mission Requests under a given Intent.

- Additional time: There will be one full cycle dedicated to providing approvals and one full cycle dedicated to reviewing/voting on Mission Requests. The Grants Council will not process any grants during these cycles.

- govNERDs: govNERDs, if continued in Season 5, will be available to help shepard Mission Requests through the feedback, approval, and voting process

• Delegate Mission Requests are supported by Intent Budgets. The Token House will approval rank approved Delegate Mission Requests under each Intent until the associated budget is depleted. Only the top ranked Mission Requests that fit within the Intent Budget will be approved. If a Mission Request would push the Intent Budget over the approved amount, it will not be included. Any Intent Budgets left over will be returned to the Governance Fund. Intent Budgets are proposed by the Grants Council Lead and will be voted on in Special Voting Cycle #16b.

SEASON 5 CHANGE: This process will replace the approval ranking of individual Mission Proposals that occurred in Season 4. That means delegates will be asked to approval rank the Missions that should be executed but not decide which teams will execute them.

Example:
    Delegates are asked to determine whether the Collective needs a governance v3 contract rather than determine which team should build the governance v3 contract.

You can see an example of approval voting under Intent Budgets here. See Delegate Guide: Voting Schedule for more details on timing.

Below is an illustration of the process.

2 Likes

Hello, what can we use as a reference for the Top 100 delegates? Will this ranking be based on Voting Power, or will activity also be important?

1 Like

For the purposes of understanding which delegates may create Mission Requests, we will pull the data as the Top 100 delegates by voting power as of 12/7, as listed on this Dune Dashboard

Throughout the Season, the top 100 delegates will fluctuate in real time and can be tracked via the Dune Dashboard above

4 Likes

Thanks for reply @lavande. Honestly, I believe a system where passive and ghost delegates are excluded from the Top 100 would be better. Maybe this isn’t the right place to give feedback on this topic, but I still wanted to write it down.

If you have a mission request in mind and are not part of the top 100, I’ll be happy to read it and probably support your thoughts.

5 Likes

Thanks for the template. I’m very excited to see the Missions process in action.

I’m happy to see a streamline process to disclose the engagement with a Grant organization. I think it’s really important to prevent any conflicts or missunderstandings moving forward.

For transparency purposes, I work in Grants Management and I’m writing a couple of mission requests drafts alligned to Season 5 intents. I plan to look for sponsorship from the Top 100 delegates.

Question: Is this question directed only to the Delegate that sponsors it or also to a person contirbutes to a mission?

I might be biased here. IBut since the missions are team-agnostic, wouldn’t it make more sense to have the disclosure once a team applies to the mission?

Maybe a more broad and relevant disclosure at this stage would be: are you connected to a team that may apply to this mission?

The comments in this post are my own and do not represent any organization or anyone elses views.

1 Like