Intent 3: Season 5

Please add your suggestions for Intent #3 here.

Please follow the format in the below graphic

Additionally, we will host an Intent Setting workshop at 17:00 GMT on October 11th, led by Simona Pop. You can find additional information on the public governance calendar.

7 Likes

What about something like: bring new users into the Optimism ecosystem? Itā€™s basic but necessary :woman_shrugging:

16 Likes

Ja I agree with @katie community growth is important. Iā€™d like to suggest a possible Gaming Intent which sort of goes hand in hand with Intent 2: Grow the Superchain.

This is just a rough draftā€¦ any input will be appreciated.

Intent 3
Level Up Gaming on OP Chains

The Optimism Collective recognizes the growing significance of decentralized gaming, which not only entertains but also empowers users through true ownership, interoperability, and financial opportunities.

In the forthcoming Season, the Collectiveā€™s goal is to entice game developers to harness the power and scalability of the Op stack

Collective Measurements

1. Number of unique Web3 and On chain games introduced on OP Chains.
  2. Monthly active users for each Web3 and On chain game.
  3. Unique contracts activated across OP Chains for gaming.
  4. Player retention rates for both Web3 and On chain gaming categories.

Examples of * Delegate Mission Requests:

1. Tools and SDKs specifically designed for Web3 and On chain game development.
  2. In-depth research into interoperability of in-game assets and NFTs, especially in On chain environments.
  3. Pioneering the development of specific On-chain game titles like Opcraft and Words3.
  4. Orchestrating community-centric events such as hackathons and round-tables with a spotlight on Web3 and On-chain gaming.

Iā€™d be grateful for any feedback or suggested tweaks :pray:

In this post I refer to Web3 games and On chain games in my understandingā€¦
Web3 games - web3 compatible with >95%of data off chain
On chain games - blockchain dependent >95% of data on chain

4 Likes

This time I believe the intent should be focused on ā€œblockchain and real-world connectionā€.

I see the superchain growing, users and builders being pulled in, infra and governance being improved, and the only aspect that is a bit left behind is the real use cases between blockchain and what can actually be solved in real life.

Examples of this:

• Gaming
  • Encrypted data ownership for companies and individuals on chain
  • Home banking prototypes
  • Real-world assets markets (like a local crypto amazon)
  • Ways to save private information and make it shareable by request
  • Web2 profile data import to web3 profiles
  • An easy way for your local shop to incorporate crypto payments and campaigns stimulating this.

As Jing Wang said: ā€œWe need completely unhinged uses of the blockchain, where are the developers that are putting genuine effort into creating something actually useful for the end userā€

The context here time 12:34

16 Likes

Absolutely, I agree with your emphasis on ā€œblockchain and real-world connection.ā€ Thereā€™s clear progress in blockchain technology, but thereā€™s room to bring it closer to real-life solutions.

Examples like gaming, encrypted data ownership, home banking prototypes, real-world asset markets, and ways to save private information for shareability show the potential.

Expanding further, consider use cases like:

1. Supply Chain Transparency: Blockchain can revolutionize supply chain management by providing real-time, tamper-proof data on the journey of products from manufacturer to consumer.
  2. Digital Identity Verification: Developing secure, portable digital identities that individuals can use across various services while maintaining control over their personal information.

In this, if a project is building for a supply chain project they face difficulty in sustenance while they find the first brand that wants to use it.

6 Likes

I have huge sympathies for real-world solutions as well.

@Gonna.ethā€™s local shop/crypto payment example is especially appealing to me. while reading it the first time, I immediately rejected it because there are a lot of regulatory differences across countries and regions that have to be considered.
but reading it a second time: why not simply start? maybe a team can build something for one country/region that can be amended for other countries later on.

gaming is indeed another area that comes to mind.

3 Likes

The need to onboard new users to the chain is real and valuable as many have highlighted here and maybe we can just leave it at that for the intent definition. While some of the specific ways which have been highlighted are interesting thought experiments, we should allow the community to make the best use of their talent and resources to accomplish this intent.

For measurements, I suggests

• number of new wallet addresses with a verified anti-sybil check(such as gitcoin passport)
  • number of repeat transactions from new addresses
  • avg. frequency of repeat transactions

I see that many have identified onchain games as a way to onboard users. While I see the rationale behind it, none of the onchain games I have seen thus far actually help the user understand or be onboarded to crypto, they are just attention farms made to make number go up. We need to be more specific with the game definition to include actual education about crypto as part of the criteria.

4 Likes

I like Gonnaā€™s idea here!

4 Likes

I would insist on keeping the focus short term for this intent. Foundation mission are suitable for long term
mission such as fault proof, decentralisation of sequencer, etc.

1. KPI based delegation recognition framework

2. How to scale Citizen house - Brainstorm and research

3. Identity based around superchain (including existing solution)

4. Privacy focused app development

5. Superchain integration framework
    As of now, there are only L2s in production, next 2 quarters and this number will change posing new challanges, how do we make sure that we are prepare for that, liquidity and most important users will stay on Optimism. Giving other chain voice in the gov was expected and is a solid move now is the time to connect all together and coming out even stronger early next year.

6. Native wallet with superchain integration - (Bridge from Base, cast on Farcast and mint of Zoraā€¦) cc @marc

7. Dedicated dashboard for past approved grant - their development status, fund utilization - fund it once and later could be part of RPGF

3 Likes

I have read the comments and have been reflecting on the ideas for this Intents.

I agree with what @katie points out: it is essential to attract new users. Lately we donā€™t see new faces in communities, events or forums. Part of this problem is because we use very technical language, which can be complicated for the average user. Also, although some may find it hard to believe, the English language can be a barrier in many regions when trying to enter the world of crypto.

What I want to emphasize is that, in Intents like this, we often propose complex or convoluted solutions. If we want to attract more people, we have to simplify. One effective way is through linguistic adaptation. In this regard, the discord OP translation team (Optimism) is doing a fantastic job, providing translations into more than 10 languages. However, in the last Intents 3, proposals in Spanish and English predominated. We should encourage initiatives in other languages such as Chinese, Hindi or French.

Recently, Optimism EspaƱol presented a course on OP Stack development in Spanish. The reception was extraordinary. We maintained a constant and positive attendance throughout the two sessions (and there are still more classes to be taught). This contrasts with other courses, such as the smart contract development course, where we were unable to maintain consistent attendance. The success was attributed not only to the use of the local language, but also to providing clear guidelines and Q&A sessions with each participant, it was well structured. This approach makes participants feel more confident and secure.

My suggestion is that, in this Intents, we should not only focus on language adaptation. We should also seek partnerships with educational institutions that have a structured approach to teaching in a clear and direct way. I want to clarify that the goal is not to give isolated talks on specific crypto topics, but to establish deeper relationships with various organizations to reach new audiences and break the cycle of the usual crowd. I understand that this could be a challenge, and I currently do not have a specific idea for integrating Optimism into the educational setting. But perhaps we could start by trying to link the proposals to institutions and not to the already known communities.

8 Likes

I like the real-world connection suggestion and was already thinking of something along these lines before I saw @Gonna.ethā€™s comment, I think its a great idea.

Some example incentivized projects can be:

• Real world onboarding
  • On ramps
  • Real world utility applications
  • Zk application infrastrucutre to enable real-world ZK applications (see Polygon ID)
  • Social/Gaming apps
  • Remitance / Transfer infrastructure

While there might be a lot more immediate opportunities for something more general, my argument is that these kind of real-world use cases are what will really provide long term use of Optimism & fellow OP stack chains.

5 Likes

Iā€™d like to echo Gonnaā€™s point. As we consider expanding consumer crypto use cases on Optimism and its related chains, I think itā€™s important we focus on driving long-term user retention and efficient growth. Perhaps starting with a limited set of use cases that provide the best onboarding experience would allow us to refine our approach before expanding further.

1 Like

As @jengajojo points out, growing the number of new users is valuable, but really difficult to measure without powerful anti-Sybil mechanisms. And without reliable metrics itā€™s difficult to see the value that kind of Intent could bring.

With regards to integrating real world use cases, itā€™s a very attractive idea, but (at the risk of seeming like a pessimist) I wonder if Optimism is really ready for that? Iā€™d feel much more comfortable encouraging things like real world assets once we get fraud proofs integrated and turn into more of a ā€˜Stage 1ā€™ (or 2) rollup. On the other hand, maybe weā€™re meaning more like examples and experiments for now that could be sensible? I donā€™t know, just feel a bit cautious with encouraging too much stuff to onboard that would have ā€˜real worldā€™ consequences if we blew up or turned evil or something!

Either of those ideas could probably be tweaked and constrained into something that would work really well, especially if we take @AxlVazā€™s interpretation of attracting new users by expanding into universities and different language communities, rather than focusing on gamable metrics like onchain accounts.

I guess to throw in another suggestion Iā€™ll just go back to my idea for ā€˜Public Badsā€™ from last time: funding things like bug bounties for small projects, researching and publicizing risks of dodgy protocols etc.

4 Likes

I mean for example to promote this kind of programs and make it more user friendly. Ethereum.org has this kind of programs, I saw a lot of non-technical people from latam participating and I met people from other regions. Why donā€™t they make a cohort of Optmism writers, people not only know about Optimism but also go to publish an article and also get more of the spirit of the collective.

These are just ideas

3 Likes

right now, the leading ideas appear to be targeting users vs use cases

It would be a mistake orienting this intent around user growth, marketing, language expansion, or anything else of that nature as its own end. this past year, weā€™ve thrown virtually everything against the wall in the hopes of attracting users, from quests to user incentives to marketing and content, and over and over again i think the result has been that we are simply not in the right climate to be using massive resources shooting for that outcome in an untargeted way, not yet. at the moment, there arenā€™t large waves of people coming into crypto generally, and as far as I can tell, we canā€™t do much to change that fact, so iā€™m not exactly sure what new parties weā€™d be looking to attract

now, if the grant council budget passes, there will be programs geared around user growth across the intents - so projects could target user growth with a specific expected outcome in the service of whatever intent 3 ends up being. As an example, in a world where Gonnaā€™s list is used for Intent 3, if some project seeks to target specific key users of, say, encrypted data ownership, that grant would be doable without making user growth the goal of intent 3 ā€“ and it would be much, much easier to evaluate.

I really like @Gonna.ethā€™s thinking around usecases, and although @MinimalGravitas correctly notes the infrastructural work that must be done before some of these usecases are ready for prime time deployment (and, correspondingly, for user incentives), the fact is that although the users arenā€™t around yet, the builders are here and looking for partners. by the time fraud proofs are here, it will be too late to be a first mover attracting the first major wave of projects unlocked by them.

and in any case, many of the things gonnaā€™s describing arenā€™t per se real-world stuff but just stuff we know people use or want to use. so letā€™s give projects fitting this description what they need today to prepare for big outcomes tomorrow.

Iā€™ve been trying to think through what verticals we can focus on in addition to those proposed above, and Gonnaā€™s framing seems like a good start. I do think thereā€™s something around treasury bootstrapping or business/capital formation in general, as thatā€™s a universal need for startups, and providing tooling and support to new projects ā€“ along the lines of what weā€™d targeted with RFGs last season ā€“ is both an unmined usecase in crypto generally and something that an ecosystem like ours is at an unique advantage in providing. eager to see what comes of the discussion tomorrow.

3 Likes

Hello all, tossing my two cents in here as I personally interpret the Optimism Foundationā€™s recommendation differently.

When focusing on the consumer or end-user, I donā€™t believe the current landscape of applications is short of practical applications, but the future landscape is short of inventive solutions. As such, I envision innovative UX enhancements like EIP 6551 and EIP 4337. We should back ideas such as new EIPs forming the foundation for new/improved applications, primitives that can improve UX on the scale of the entire ecosystem. Investing in the pioneers of the Ethereum/OP ecosystem will most likely reciprocate more useful applications developed and, thus, value to the OP ecosystem.

3 Likes

Totally agree with this! It is really important to start thinking about the long-term endgame for optimism governance.

How will the Optimism network evolve after further upgrades?

How will new protocol implementations affect the current layer two ecosystem?

What is after layer two and full decentralization?

How do we further decentralized the ecosystem beyond protocol upgrades with grant programs?

In Season 5, we set out to create a process to incorporate more input from delegates in setting Intent #3. Hereā€™s a recap of the process, along with the insights we gathered.

1. Intent Ideas Submission: We started off with gathering your thoughts via the forum and were thrilled to receive a diverse array of innovative ideas clearly showcasing commitment to the Collectiveā€™s mission.

2. Live Workshop: The workshop provided a great space to identify and discuss patterns that emerged from the idea submission process. Its purpose was to define and refine a Collective Intent that would be focused, meaningful and measurable. Here is the suggested Intent #3, distilled from your input:

Intent #3

Improve the Consumer Experience: Your collective voice strongly emphasized the need to enhance the consumer experience. To onboard more users to the Optimism network, we must make it easier to engage with practical use cases. This improvement will be vital in expanding our reach and impact.

Revised Measurements: To track our progress, we collated and combine measurements that align with the goal of improving the consumer experience:

• Number of new wallet addresses with a verified anti-sybil check
  • Number of repeat transactions from new addresses
  • Number of transactions from new addresses that occur via non-DeFi applications

Note: The first two measurements were taken directly from forum suggestions to ensure the input of those that couldnā€™t attend the workshop were incorporated.

Example Delegate Mission Requests: Your ideas are reflected directly in the example delegate mission requests. These include:

• Development of practical use cases covering areas like gaming, encrypted on-chain data ownership for companies and individuals, digital identity, ZK application infrastructure, social applications, and remittance/transfer infrastructure.

• Experience enhancements that may include fiat on/off ramps, UX improvements (e.g., EIP 6551 and EIP 4337), web2 profile import to web3 profiles, and innovations that streamline on-chain activities.

Next Steps: We are gathering additional feedback and sentiment for Intent #3 for the next five days. The deadline for all feedback is Tuesday Oct 24 - 19:00 GMT and we aim to finalize Intent #3 by Wednesday Oct 25 at 19:00 GMT.

The intention is for the process of Intent setting to evolve in the future as we continue to iterate and as the Collective expands.

Thank you once again for your invaluable contributions!

SP & OP

11 Likes