Education nominations for RPGF2

2 Likes
  • The projects name : Node Guardians

• A description of how the project has supported development and usage of the OP Stack

We provide a unique and fun learning experience for experienced developers with over 70 hours of high-quality programming challenges inspired by RPG. Using our custom-built pipeline, we evaluate code submissions in an automated fashion and track progress through our skill tree while maintaining complete privacy - we do not collect any personal data or emails. Our goal is to foster the adoption of Solidity and the EVM ( hence the OVM ) through Node Guardians.

Since our launch in late November, our platform has seen positive growth. We have had over 2800 quests solved by a dedicated community of developers, with over 400 participating in January alone. Our registered user base has grown to 1900, all through organic means.

3 Likes

I’d like to second this nomination! 3962 has been consistently creating strong visual content for the community. I very much appreciate the work they are doing!

Disclosure: I am an employee of OP Labs, but am contributing here as an individual and member of the Optimism Ecosystem.

4 Likes
  • The projects name: NFTEARTH

• A description of how the project has supported development and usage of the OP Stack

NFTEarth is going to be the Layer2 Ethereum hub for buying and selling NFTs ! Built initially on Optimism and with the ambition of serving the entire layer2 ecosystem. This community driven Dao based NFT marketplace was incubated in an effort to revive the Layer2 NFT ecosystem! From integrating with some of the most innovative web3 applications like snapshot, quest3 .xyz, Guild.xyz, wonderverse, unlock protocol, ENS domains, punk domains to give users and contributors alike a superior user experience, to building necessary API infrastructure that can be referenced by protocols to use in the future to onboarding tools to migrate some of Ethereum’s layer 1 most unique and prominent NFT collections to the optimism ecosystem allowing for their existing communities to enjoy the countless benefits of optimism and optimism users exposure to new and unique artist the NFT space has to offer Founded by Optimisms Favorite community based Dao Layer2Dao

A link to the project’s GitHub and Twitter
GitHub: NFTΞarth · GitHub
Twitter: https://twitter.com/NFTEarth_L2

13 Likes

[quote=“system, post:1, topic:4640”]

• The projects name:
    Discord
  • A description of how the project has supported development and usage of the OP Stack:
    Discord is a VoIP and instant messaging social platform. Users have the ability to communicate with voice calls, video calls, text messaging, media and files in private chats or as part of communities called “servers”.[note 2] A server is a collection of persistent chat rooms and voice channels which can be accessed via invite links. Discord runs on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, iPadOS, Linux, and in web browsers. As of 2021, the service has over 350 million registered users and over 150 million monthly active users.

Discord has been acting as a massive supporter for Optimism ecosystem trough the voting info, announcement’s, OP roles, information enhance, navigation in the ecosystem etc…

2 Likes
  • The projects name: OtherInternet
  • A description of how the project has supported development and usage of the OP Stack: Other Internet conducts research and writing on crypto, open source, public goods funding, community organizing, and beyond. Their work has helped inform the way Optimism could explore its own public goods funding experiments, how it should organize and cultivate a governance community, and how to learn from historical precedent in making decisions in crypto governance.
  • A link to the project’s GitHub or Twitter:

Disclaimer: I am employed by the Optimism Foundation. These are my personal opinions, not those of the Foundation.

4 Likes

The projects name: @jrocki.bedrock

A description of how the project has supported development and usage of the OP Stack:

• Jrocki’s YouTube Channel is exclusively focused on optimism content. It served as the de-facto resource on how to use the protocols involved in Optimism Quests and also has other educational videos on the optimism ecosystem.

• Jrocki has been a host of “The Web3 Experience” which has given builders an Optimism a platform to talk about what they are building and users a chance to learn more about optimism projects. This has also served as a resrouce

• He has also served as the host for a number of the community governance calls which involves work preparing topics and then summarizing the call. These calls are essential for the smooth operation of Optimism Community Governance, who’s success is critical for the success of Optimism overall.

Jrocki has proven his dedication to the Optimism ecosystem, not just in spirit, but in the impact he has had educating users, and for that reason I think that he is an obvious candidate for RPGF.

A link to the project’s GitHub or Twitter: https://twitter.com/Reformed_Normie

9 Likes

Hi, I’d like to nominate one of my projects

Project Name: Rollup Economics Dune Dashboard

Description of how the project has supported development and usage of the OP Stack:

This dashboard breaks down the revenues (txn fees), costs (posting data to L1) and raw materials (L1 calldata, usage metrics .etc) of rollups.

It currently includes data on Optimism, Arbitrum, Aztec, Starknet, zksync and Loopring.

It’s a good resource for learning about the health of rollup economies and has 140+ stars on Dune.

Links to Project:

Dashboard -

Creator -
https://twitter.com/0xKofi

4 Likes

I’d also like to second this!

3692 has a long history of putting out very cool graphics for the Optimism community and most recently started designing a super cool shirt collection that stand out in my opinion as some of the coolest shirts I’ve seen in crypto.

First shirt: https://twitter.com/prosto_crypto/status/1618673667055165445
Second shirt: https://twitter.com/prosto_crypto/status/1619040526845755394

1 Like
  • The projects name: Token Engineering Academy

• A description of how the project has supported the development and usage of the OP Stack:

Token Engineering is an emergent, crypto-native discipline. Token engineers design, validate and optimize token economic systems. We understand that the systems and algorithms we build impact people and must foster responsibility and uphold the values of the broader institution of professional engineering.

At the Token Engineering Academy (TE Academy) the mission is to establish token engineering as a recognised professional discipline. TEA see token engineering as a fundamental requirement of the broader web3 ecosystem and work (amongst other things) to educate web3 contributors to the important role and responsibilities of token engineers

In October 2022, they launched TE Fundamentals - a five part education program with NFT-based certification. Offered 100% online TE Fundamentals is free and available to anyone, anywhere. Results since October 2022 speak to the level of interest and need for this program

• more than 1500 students enrolments
  • 33 study group hosts across 14 languages
  • 412 students have completed at least one exam requiring 96% pass rate. Many have complete multiple exams or the entire course.

All NFTs are minted on Optimism thanks to the support and work of Otterspace and General Magic.

Personal perspective

I am a student, study group lead and since completeing the course a more active, informed and confident contributor to the token engineering community. My learning continues, every week TEA offers opportunities to discover and apply, share and build knowledge in this space.

The teams has done a brilliant job developing the community around TEA keeping us informed, engaged and connected and promoting the program’s people and achievements.

The course creators are experts in their respective feilds and I’m so thankful to the wealth of knowledge being shared and created through courses, open research and discussion. I have paid thousands of dollars towards graduate and post grad. education for papers that do not come near to the level of interactive and applied learning as provided by TE Fundamentals program.

Impact = Profit

Although not Optimism specific, the token engineering discipline is applicable to any token based projects. Developing this discipline will imo have significant cumulative impact for web3 ecosystems, including Optimism.

I found my way here after minting my course NFTs and look forward to contributing where I can.

• A link to the project’s GitHub or Twitter: @TokenEngineering
  • (optional) contact info for the project or project lead: Please DM me lee0007#8152 for contact info
18 Likes
  • The projects name: TheBlockchainGuy
  • A description of how the project has supported development and usage of the OP Stack: TheBlockchainGuy has done some really educational overviews of Optimism, how it works, and what the vision for the Collective is. His videos will likely inspire builders to come to Optimism to build apps and to build Optimism itself because of the way he conveys the grander vision for the Optimism Collective.
5 Likes

Hello! I’d like to contribute a few nominations in the education category:

Project Name: RadicalXChange.

RxC has been a significant contributor to the larger crypto ecosystem in hosting conferences, supporting research, and helping to publish and disseminate a view of crypto oriented towards political economy and public goods funding – all of which have significant overlap with Optimism.

The founder of RxC Glen Weyl had an instrumental role in popularizing quadratic voting, and more recently co-authored work with Vitalik and others around DeSoc which relates to Optimism’s attestation and social layer.

Links to Project: https://www.radicalxchange.org/, https://twitter.com/RadxChange

Project Name: Kernel

Kernel is a fellowship started by members of Gitcoin which aims to expand the Web3 community through educational content and a lifelong network. It presents concepts like NFTs, DAOs, DeFi, and DeSci through the lens of regenerative economies and has helped create a new community and subculture within crypto.

Links to Project: https://www.kernel.community/, https://twitter.com/kernel0x

5 Likes
  • The projects name: CryptoZombies
  • A description of how the project has supported development and usage of the OP Stack: CryptoZombies is a thoughtfully designed course teaching developers the fundamentals of writing smart contracts in Solidity. CryptoZombies has done a tremendous job onboarding new developers onto Ethereum. Since the OP Stack is EVM equivalent, learnings in the CryptoZombies course also ports over to Optimism.

Disclaimer: I am employed by the OP Labs. These are my personal opinions, not those of the PBC.

6 Likes

Project Name Filosofía Código

A description of how the project has supported development and usage of the OP Stack :

Filosofía Código is a YouTube channel that explains step by step how to program Smart contracts in Solidity. It also includes explanatory videos on Ethereum and L2 scalability. In addition accompanies each video detailed programming articles on Solidity, all information is available and free.

The channel is available in 3 languages: English, French and Spanish.

The channel has a total of 48 tutorials, among the most outstanding we can see:

Videos related to Optimism:

A link to the project’s GitHub or Twitter:

(optional) contact info for the project or project lead :

Twitter Oficial: https://twitter.com/FilosofiaCodigo

7 Likes
  • The projects name:

Nested

• A description of how the project has supported development and usage of the OP Stack:

Nested is a project that aims to make it easy for users to invest in web3 assets, such as cryptocurrencies and digital tokens, by providing a simple, social, and safe trading platform. The platform aims to increase accessibility to web3 investments by making it easy for users to understand and navigate the complex world of blockchain and digital assets. Some of the features of the platform include a user-friendly interface, social features that allow users to share and learn from each other, and safety features that protect users’ assets from fraud and theft. It seems to be a project that is trying to make it easy for people to invest in web3 assets, by providing a simple, social, and safe trading platform.

1 Like

I’d like to self-nominate my project, CryptoStats

Project Name
CryptoStats

Description

CryptoStats is a project focused on making trustworthy blockchain data open and accessible to all. In addition to maintaining an extensive library of data metrics, CryptoStats operates a number of popular info-sites, such as CryptoFees.info, L2Fees.info, and more.

Funding

CryptoStats operates purely as an open-source public-good. It is primarily funded by public goods initiatives like Gitcoin and Optimism RPGF. Additionally, the project has received grants for building new features, and now receives some revenue from the sponsorship ads placed on the sites.

A description of how the project has supported development and usage of the OP Stack:

CryptoStats provides data about many faucets of the blockchain ecosystem, including Optimism and the rest of Ethereum’s rollup ecosystem.

On our most popular site, CryptoFees.info, we display the fee revenue collected by Optimism:

One of our other popular sites, L2Fees.info, shows data such as the current transaction fees on L2s like Optimism, as well as how much these L2s are paying in L1 costs.

And finally, our newest site CryptoFlows.info maps the value bridged between various crypto chains, including Optimism and other L2s.

https://twitter.com/cryptostats_

(optional) contact info for the project or project lead:

Me :slight_smile: Telegram or Twitter is best

13 Likes

Project Name
ETHGlobal

Description
ETHGlobal hosts and organizes widely attended hackathons and summits for the Ethereum ecosystem. ETHGlobal has hosted dozens of events so far and has already scheduled an additional 8 events in 2023. ETHGlobal’s events regularly bring hundreds of builders together to learn, experiment, and create for the future of Ethereum. I have personally attended too many ETHGlobal events to count and find that they are always exceedingly well organized, inclusive, and educational. I recommend ETHGlobal events to anyone looking to dive more deeply into the Ethereum universe.

I asked ETHGlobal to provide some statistics that could support this nomination, and I was supplied with the following.

In 2022 alone ETHGlobal:

• ran 33 events (hackathons and summits)
  • got 15k devs into the ethereum ecosystem
  • these attendees created 3400 projects
  • gave out $5M in prizes to people from over 100 countries
  • created ~500 talks and workshop on all web3 protocols on youtube which serve as tutorials for beginners. These got 600k+ views
  • launched async guides for basics of various protocols (including optimism) which have gotten 5k enrollments

Additionally, ETHGlobal events have been the epicenter for the creation of well known projects in the space including:

• cryptokitties
  • 1inch
  • set protocol
  • gearbox protocol
  • lenster
  • instadapp
  • huddle01
  • push protocol
  • parcel.money
  • toucan

It seems clear that supporting ETHGlobal and rewarding their impact on the Ethereum ecosystem will help incentivize exactly the sort of educational experiences we need.

Links

Contact

Disclaimers
I work for OP Labs. I am making this nomination in my capacity as an individual and not on the behalf of OP Labs. ETHGlobal was given a chance to review this nomination and provide relevant statistics. I retained final say over the content of this nomination. I believe that Liam Horne (CEO of OP Labs) is a co-founder of ETHGlobal but he was not involved in the decision to make this nomination and did not review its content.

11 Likes

Project Name
Week in Ethereum News

Description
Week in Ethereum News is a long running Ethereum newsletter created by Evan Van Ness and now maintained by abcoathup. Week in Ethereum News has operated mostly continuously since 2016 and acts as a consistent, no-nonsense source of news about the Ethereum ecosystem. It aggregates all of the most interesting news, projects, and links about topics like “Stuff for developers”, “Layer 1”, “Layer 2”, “EIPs/Standards”, and many many more.

Week in Ethereum News is an institution. I believe it should be rewarded for its longevity and commitment to distributing digestible information about the entire Ethereum ecosystem. Week in Ethereum News’s initials, “WEN”, are simply too on the nose in this situation. For such a clearly established educational institution in the space to receive funding via RetroPGF, I simply ask “WEN?”.

Links

Contact

Disclaimers
I work for OP Labs. I am making this nomination in my capacity as an individual and not on behalf of OP Labs.

7 Likes

The project’s name is Truffle Suite (Website).

Truffle Suite is a collection of development tools that are designed to make it easier for developers to build and deploy decentralized applications (dapps) on the Ethereum blockchain. One of the key components of Truffle Suite is the Truffle Optimism Box, which provides developers with a boilerplate structure that they can use to start coding for Optimism’s Ethereum Layer 2 solution.

Optimism’s Layer 2 solution is a scaling solution that aims to increase the throughput of the Ethereum blockchain by moving some of the computational work off-chain. It is almost fully compatible with the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM), but it uses an “optimistic” version of the EVM called the OVM.

The main difference between the EVM and the OVM that developers will notice is that some opcodes are not available for contracts that are deployed to the OVM. However, the Truffle Optimism Box comes with the Optimistic solc compiler already referenced in the truffle-config.ovm.js file, so developers can easily see a complete list of differences between Optimism’s fork of the solc compiler and the original.

With the Truffle Optimism Box, developers will be able to compile, migrate, and test Solidity code against several instances of Optimistic Ethereum networks. This makes it easy to get started building dapps on Optimism without having to write any specific sort of application.

In conclusion, the Truffle Suite is a powerful collection of development tools that are designed to support the development and usage of the OP Stack. The Truffle Optimism Box provides developers with the necessary structure and tools to start coding for Optimism’s Ethereum Layer 2 solution and make it easier to build and deploy dapps on the Ethereum blockchain.

2 Likes

Projects Name: WTF Academy

WTF Academy is a web3 open-source academy for developers, aiming to onboard 10,000 developers to web3. We have produced open-source education tutorials and platforms, including:

1. WTF Solidity (5,700 stars on github): A minimal tutorial on Solidity, currently has 60+ chapters.
  2. WTF Ethers (1,100 stars on github): A minimal tutorial on Ethers.js, currently has 20+ chapters.
  3. wtf.academy: an integrated education platform for developers, including tutorials, quizzes, and certifications.
    Because OP shares the same developer stack as ETH, so they also support OP development.

1. Github: AmazingAng (0xAA) · GitHub and WTF.Academy · GitHub
  2. Twitter: @0xAA_Science and @WTFAcademy_

contact info for the project or project lead:
Twitter (@0xAA_Science)

4 Likes