[READY TO VOTE] Create a grants Supertracker for the Optimism Collective and the Superchain

Delegate Mission Request Summary:
Develop a grants supertracker for transparency within the Optimism Collective, the OP Chains, and the Superchain.

S5 Intent Please list the Intent your Request aligns with here: #4 - Governance Accessibility

Proposing Delegate: SEED Latam delegation team

Proposal Tier: Ember

Baseline grant amount: 10,000 OP

Should this Foundation Mission be fulfilled by one or multiple applicants: one

Submit by: To be set by Grants Council

Selection by: To be set by Grants Council

Start date: ASAP

Completion date: Likely to be in 3 months

Specification

How will this Delegate Mission Request help accomplish the above Intent?

Grants are one of the most valuable resources the Collective has to attract builders to the Optimism ecosystem and the Superchain. This mission would allow the entire Collective to track and control information in one place in an orderly and standardized manner.

Several grants trackers have been created, to name a few: Grant3, Optimism Grants Changelog, Grants Council Roundups. Each of these efforts has done a great job in making access to information more accessible to anyone interested.

With a supertracker that aggregates the key pieces of the above examples, a tool can be created that will become the definitive standard for tracking grants both within the OP Mainnet and in the future, in the different chains that make up the Superchain (Base, Zora, PGN, Mode Network, etc.).

What is required to execute this Delegate Mission Request?

Research:

• List and compile all information about grants delivered to date (distributed on the Governance forum, Dune Dashboards created by the OP Labs analytics team, information from the Grants Council, and Optimism’s Foundation public issues [RFP]). Important: Open/public grants from OP Chains that make up the Superchain should also be included if they are available at the time this mission is executed.
  • Design a standardized data format that is easy to understand for the entire Collective:
    • Basic info of the project.
    • Link to the grant proposal.
    • What will the funds be used for, and what will be built/developed?
    • Amount of OP requested.
    • Date of delivery of funds (if available).
    • Link to the trx of receipt (if available).
    • Status of work i.e.: In progress, finished.
    • Result of work i.e.: link functional website.

Frontend:

• Create an easy-to-navigate interface.
  • Access to data collected from the research phase in the form of a visualizer.
  • Updated governance calendars for different types of grants.
  • Allow grantees to upload additional info regarding the management of their grant.

How should the Token House measure progress towards this Mission?

1. Launching of the frontend: open for the whole Collective, with basic info about grant programs, and governance calendar.

2. Progress report: biweekly sharing of research and frontend progress, receiving feedback, and adapting the work based on these suggestions to incorporate improvements in the development.

3. Complete and reliable information: aggregation of all information regarding grants for OP Mainnet & OP Chains (by example, Base, Zora, PGN, Mode Network, etc).

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

• Frontend maintenance after final delivery.
  • Positive testimonials from community members, delegates, and badgeholders.
  • Monthly active users using the frontend.
  • Number of mentions referencing frontend data on social media or the governance forum by delegates/badgeholders.

Have you engaged a Grant-as-a-service provider for this Mission Request?

No.

Has anyone other than the Proposing Delegate contributed to this Mission Request? If so, who, and what parts of this application did they contribute to?

This Mission Request was born from the @OptimismEsp team, in the person of @Pumbi. After presenting the idea to us, our delegation provided feedback for the final publication.

9 Likes

Thank you for your support Delegate @Joxes and @seedlatam delegation.

If anyone has any questions or suggestions on how to improve this mission request we are open to chat.

2 Likes

As an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting weight I think this proposal is ready for voting

3 Likes

This sounds great!

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

3 Likes

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

3 Likes

This is a nice idea, but it’s ludicrous to commit 15k OP to it. What is being described here is a database that would take maybe a week to lay out and minimal time to maintain and update.

2 Likes

Yes, conversating with @Pumbi at yesterday, we discussed whether it would be better to reduce the amount to at least 10k; glad to see confirmation on this. What do you think would be an appropriate amount?

1 Like

Honestly, this is something that someone should just build for RPGF - it’s small enough in scale not to need upfront commitment or coordination. I feel like a NumbaNerd with context could whip it up pretty quickly. It is something that seems obviously useful.

2 Likes

I am a delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

A very short update, we have adjusted the baseline to 10K.

The Grants Council has opened early submissions as an Indication of Interest for this mission request here

For your application to be considered, the Mission request must pass the Token House vote on February 14th. Early submissions will not be considered if a Mission Request is not approved on the 14th.

Much needed space to fill in Optimism Governance.

This is much needed! Great idea!

1 Like

10,000 is still way too high for this. This is basically the equivalent to a full time wage in most countries for what is about a week of work.

Calling attention to this resource being maintained by @ilemi

1 Like

Thanks for the tag. I think the best thing for an initiative like this is to get enough visibility and push from optimism frontends to a repo like mine for contribution. Getting it on the forum frontpage, agora, and other optimism foundation grant related pages would be huge. That will make it much easier for the maintainer (i.e. I don’t have to be the one to chase teams down for their grants data), and also makes it cheaper to fund from OP’s perspective since I am doing a lot less work :grin:

1 Like