[READY TO VOTE] EPPI Mission Request

Optimism Ecosystem Proof of Provenance Infrastructure (EPPI) Mission Request

Delegate Mission Request Summary:

To lay out a robust infrastructure that leverages off-chain data, paving the way for a more secure and innovative Dapp ecosystem within Optimism. This foundation will empower builders to utilize privacy-preserving technologies such as zk proofs and build novel use cases such as zkLogin for Dapps, proof of personhood, Sybil resistance, identity verification etc.

S5 Intent: 3 improve the consumer experience

Proposing Delegate: gonna.eth

Proposal Tier: Ember

Baseline grant amount: 50.000 OP

To evaluate and assess the impact of different approaches that enable this infrastructure (Potential for future engagement will be assessed upon completion of this mission)

Should this Foundation’s Mission be fulfilled by one or multiple applicants: Multiple

Submit by: to be set

Selection by: to be set

Start date: to be set

Completion date: 6 months since approval

Specification

How will this Delegate Mission Request help accomplish the above Intent?

This mission aims to position Optimism as a go-to place for building identity-specific and UX solutions such as zkLogin for Dapps, Sybil resistance, and proof of personhood, significantly broadening the adoption of the Optimism super chain.

Dapp developers can leverage the proposed infrastructure laid down through this mission, and employ off-chain to on-chain privacy-preserving proofs for launching their own Dapps on Optimism, resulting in a vibrant Dapp ecosystem.

Please explain alignment with the relevant Intent

The focus on overcoming challenges related to utilizing Web 2 user data in a privacy-preserving manner directly addresses a current limitation for Dapp developers. The outlined requirements, including a functional product, integration with Optimism, and documentation of use cases, reflect a strategic approach to fostering a more vibrant Dapp ecosystem. The alignment is evident in the mission’s commitment to broadening the adoption of Optimism’s superchain by providing a foundation for a secure, user-friendly, and identity-specific Dapp experience.

What is required to execute this Delegate Mission Request?

Currently, Dapp developers are unable to utilize user data from Web 2 servers in a privacy-preserving way due to the lack of underlying infrastructure. The absence of this infrastructure is preventing Dapp developers from building novel use cases for potentially millions, if not billions, of users who have not yet experienced Optimism’s superpowers.

Moreover, Dapps built in most ecosystems struggle with providing secure and user-friendly onboarding experiences for their users. Users are accustomed to the simplicity of signing in with familiar web credentials like Google or Facebook, which is not available for users in the Optimism ecosystem. This mission aims to solve such challenges by laying out a robust infrastructure and empowering Dapp developers to build novel use cases, more specifically around UX and identity. In order to accomplish this, the project(s) should:

• Have a functional product in production that generates proofs of off-chain data in a privacy-preserving manner using cutting-edge technology such as zk
  • Integrate with/deploy to Optimism to lay the infrastructure
  • Seed and document an exhaustive list of use cases that can be leveraged by builders to build novel use cases
  • Document and maintain technical docs, tutorials, and support resources to help Dapp developers understand and effectively utilize the infrastructure
  • Engage with the broader developer community and stakeholders to encourage adoption and feedback

Please list responsibilities and/or expected deliverables

1. Integration with Optimism
  2. Functional Product Development
  3. Use Case Documentation
  4. Technical Documentation
  5. Project Plan and Milestones
  6. List of Prioritized Use Cases
  7. Rigorous Testing and Integration Live Date

How should the Token House measure progress towards this Mission?

• Clear project plan with milestones and projected dates for completion of each milestone
  • Published technical documentation of the integration with Optimism along with the process details
  • Prioritized list of use cases that can be built by Dapp developers once the infrastructure is integrated with Optimism
  • A working and rigorously tested integration with Optimism
  • Published documentation, tutorials, and guides to leverage the infrastructure and build Dapps on top of it
  • Integration live date along with a detailed plan to launch the first two Dapps that leverage this infrastructure

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

• Number of new smart contracts deployed/Dapps built on top of Optimism using this infrastructure
  • Number of Dapps integrating the infrastructure after deployment
  • Number of users/TVL (if applicable) driven by Dapps integrating/using the deployed infrastructure within the Optimism ecosystem

Have you engaged a Grant-as-a-service provider for this Mission Request?
No.

Has anyone other than the Proposing Delegate contributed to this Mission Request? If so, who, and what parts of this application did they contribute to?
I was approached by Roochil from Questbook after I tweeted about the “Verify don’t trust” culture of Web3 and he inspired me with https://www.reclaimprotocol.org/. I consulted with him many times on some technical aspects of this proposal.

8 Likes

We are a delegate with enough voting power and are in support of this mission.

3 Likes

I am an Optimism delegate [Delegate Commitments - # 41 The Ethernaut] with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

I believe enhancing the proposal with specific use cases could be beneficial. This would clearly illustrate how the technology can be applied. While the objective may be apparent to those familiar with our goals, concrete examples will help clarify our intentions for others.

2 Likes

A few simple examples could be:

1. P2P Onramp/Offramp to Onboard new users to Optimism.
    Buyers can create proofs of bank transfers to sellers and produce the proof on-chain to withdraw crypto from a smart contract.

2. You could also utilize it to reduce bot activities during grant evaluations and airdrop distributions significantly. For example, users might be required to verify their activities such as taking an Uber ride, placing an Amazon order, or having a Chess.com account. This process establishes solid proof of personhood, crucial in deterring bots and fraudulent activities.

3. ENS could use this to verify if the GitHub, X, or whatever link you put in your profile is you.

3 Likes

We are a delegate with enough voting power and believe this mission request should move to a vote.

1 Like

I represent Layer3 and we are an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and we believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

1 Like

GM @limes.eth! Could you kindly update your approval? This is the correct format as per the Operating Manual, and only the Top 100 delegates as of 12/6/23 are eligible to approve the Mission Request.

The proper format for approval is as follows:

”I am an Optimism delegate [link to your delegate commitment] with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote."

Thank you :sparkles:

1 Like

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

(Updating for correct format)

2 Likes

KYC and Identity related projects are always complex, one need to think of onchain complexicity along with gov rules and regulation.

Something similar already exist https://verax.zkpass.org/ , Sismo was also doing something similar and Clique is another project attesting ownership of off-chain data in privay preservering manner.

How do you see you project different from already existing one ? any other supporting document or perhaps a prototype docs ?

This is also confusing to me, use cases will come post project deployment ?

This is a mission request, I don’t have a project, I won’t apply for this request and I don’t have prototypes or docs.

2 Likes

I am one of the Synthetix Ambassadors, and a Optimism Badgeholder. I am an Optimism delegate [Delegate Commitments - #65 by mastermojo ] with sufficient voting power, and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

1 Like

The Grants Council has opened early submissions as an Indication of Interest for this mission request here

For your application to be considered, the Mission request must pass the Token House vote on February 14th. Early submissions will not be considered if a Mission Request is not approved on the 14th.

I support this mission.

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.