Delegate Mission Request Summary:
To lay out a robust infrastructure that leverages off-chain data, paving the way for a more secure and innovative Dapp ecosystem within Optimism. This foundation will empower builders to utilize privacy-preserving technologies such as zk proofs and build novel use cases such as zkLogin for Dapps, proof of personhood, Sybil resistance, identity verification etc.
S5 Intent: 3 improve the consumer experience
Proposing Delegate: gonna.eth
Proposal Tier: Ember
Baseline grant amount: 50.000 OP
To evaluate and assess the impact of different approaches that enable this infrastructure (Potential for future engagement will be assessed upon completion of this mission)
Should this Foundation’s Mission be fulfilled by one or multiple applicants: Multiple
Submit by: to be set
Selection by: to be set
Start date: to be set
Completion date: 6 months since approval
How will this Delegate Mission Request help accomplish the above Intent?
This mission aims to position Optimism as a go-to place for building identity-specific and UX solutions such as zkLogin for Dapps, Sybil resistance, and proof of personhood, significantly broadening the adoption of the Optimism super chain.
Dapp developers can leverage the proposed infrastructure laid down through this mission, and employ off-chain to on-chain privacy-preserving proofs for launching their own Dapps on Optimism, resulting in a vibrant Dapp ecosystem.
Please explain alignment with the relevant Intent
The focus on overcoming challenges related to utilizing Web 2 user data in a privacy-preserving manner directly addresses a current limitation for Dapp developers. The outlined requirements, including a functional product, integration with Optimism, and documentation of use cases, reflect a strategic approach to fostering a more vibrant Dapp ecosystem. The alignment is evident in the mission’s commitment to broadening the adoption of Optimism’s superchain by providing a foundation for a secure, user-friendly, and identity-specific Dapp experience.
What is required to execute this Delegate Mission Request?
Currently, Dapp developers are unable to utilize user data from Web 2 servers in a privacy-preserving way due to the lack of underlying infrastructure. The absence of this infrastructure is preventing Dapp developers from building novel use cases for potentially millions, if not billions, of users who have not yet experienced Optimism’s superpowers.
Moreover, Dapps built in most ecosystems struggle with providing secure and user-friendly onboarding experiences for their users. Users are accustomed to the simplicity of signing in with familiar web credentials like Google or Facebook, which is not available for users in the Optimism ecosystem. This mission aims to solve such challenges by laying out a robust infrastructure and empowering Dapp developers to build novel use cases, more specifically around UX and identity. In order to accomplish this, the project(s) should:
- Have a functional product in production that generates proofs of off-chain data in a privacy-preserving manner using cutting-edge technology such as zk
- Integrate with/deploy to Optimism to lay the infrastructure
- Seed and document an exhaustive list of use cases that can be leveraged by builders to build novel use cases
- Document and maintain technical docs, tutorials, and support resources to help Dapp developers understand and effectively utilize the infrastructure
- Engage with the broader developer community and stakeholders to encourage adoption and feedback
Please list responsibilities and/or expected deliverables
- Integration with Optimism
- Functional Product Development
- Use Case Documentation
- Technical Documentation
- Project Plan and Milestones
- List of Prioritized Use Cases
- Rigorous Testing and Integration Live Date
How should the Token House measure progress towards this Mission?
- Clear project plan with milestones and projected dates for completion of each milestone
- Published technical documentation of the integration with Optimism along with the process details
- Prioritized list of use cases that can be built by Dapp developers once the infrastructure is integrated with Optimism
- A working and rigorously tested integration with Optimism
- Published documentation, tutorials, and guides to leverage the infrastructure and build Dapps on top of it
- Integration live date along with a detailed plan to launch the first two Dapps that leverage this infrastructure
How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?
- Number of new smart contracts deployed/Dapps built on top of Optimism using this infrastructure
- Number of Dapps integrating the infrastructure after deployment
- Number of users/TVL (if applicable) driven by Dapps integrating/using the deployed infrastructure within the Optimism ecosystem
Have you engaged a Grant-as-a-service provider for this Mission Request?
Has anyone other than the Proposing Delegate contributed to this Mission Request? If so, who, and what parts of this application did they contribute to?
I was approached by Roochil from Questbook after I tweeted about the “Verify don’t trust” culture of Web3 and he inspired me with https://www.reclaimprotocol.org/. I consulted with him many times on some technical aspects of this proposal.