[Final] Optimism Solidity Survivor Bootcamp

S4 Intent: 3

Proposed Mission: Optimism Solidity Survivor Bootcamp

Proposal Tier: Ember

Baseline grant amount: 48,484 OP

% of total available Intent Budget: 04.85%

Please check here if access to upfront capital is a barrier to completing your Mission and you would like to be considered for a small upfront cash grant: [yes]

Alliance name: BCAMP

Alliance Lead: LizardBrain

Contact info: lizardbrain@bcamp.dev

L2 recipient address: 0x0E73F03b5B553CD295842Cb5f9A04768B6225aAc

Please list the members of your Alliance and link to any previous work:

LizardBrain - Director

Samuel Miranda - Applicant Outreach

Obakeng Mothibedi - Participant Support

Justin Bebis - Partnerships

Please explain how this Mission will help accomplish the above Intent:

A bootcamp could be one of the most effective ways to share the Optimistic Vision if the bootcamp experience is shared via live streams, articles, and videos about the participant’s experience. One bootcamp doesn’t scale very well, but real life stories of developers making a transition into Blockchain will resonate. It will also allow the participants, who will be experienced developers that will contribute to the ecosystem, to internalize the Optimistic vision by having them build projects that have been proposed as ecosystem contributions. (Optimism Ecosystem Contributions 🔴✨ · GitHub). For nerds like us, watching developers overcome challenges and build cool stuff, could be as engaging as Survivor itself.

https://youtu.be/w9AHNbeSr-o

This experience would be a 6 session virtual program where participants choose a project from the proposed contributions or propose their own project to build on Optimism. Each session focuses on one aspect of the development process as follows:

• Session 1: Idea Generation and Proposals
  • Session 2: Architecture and AI
  • Session 3: Production Smart Contract
  • Session 4: Web3 Front-End Development
  • Session 5: Security
  • Session 6: Final Project Judging

Final project judges and guest speakers each week will be invited from across the Optimism Ecosystem to provide feedback on the projects and connect with the developer participants.

We make the entire experience interesting by rating and giving candid feedback on projects during every session and eliminating the lowest rated project each week. This candid feedback and elimination anticipation makes for good content. We plan on live streaming sessions 2-6 and doing write-ups to document how the participants explore and overcome challenges to increase the awareness of people building on Optimism. One participant in the first cohort of BCAMP leveraged his experience to land a role as a smart contract developer less than one month after the cohort which increased his salary over 25%, and continues to excel in the role.

What makes your Alliance well-suited to execute this Mission?

LizardBrain is the director of BCAMP, a new Solidity bootcamp focused on experiential learning, and was one of the original team members that started a blockchain security program called yAcademy in 2021. Along with Sam and Obakeng, the team has run multiple successful bootcamps through the entire process of finding and screening candidates, managing the sessions, and helping participants find developer roles where they can thrive after the bootcamp. We have the developer network, software infrastructure, and processes to smoothly run bootcamps.

Justin Bebis is an experienced blockchain developer and active community member in the Optimism Ecosystem. He helps ensure that the curriculum and projects are relevant and up to date with the needs of the industry. He also has connections with blockchain media outlets to facilitate the sharing of stories and content.

We bring a modern reality approach to education that makes the bootcamp experience much more memorable than traditional learning environments. The bootcamp is not just a training program; it’s a transformative learning environment that stimulates curiosity, fosters a thirst for knowledge, and most importantly, kindles the internal spark of motivation that we call “ignition” in participants.

Please list a critical milestone. The critical milestone should be a measure of whether you’ve made best efforts to execute what is outlined in this proposal or not. If you fail to achieve your critical milestone, your grant may be clawed back.

1. Graduate a cohort of 20 developers that build projects on Optimism.

How should Token House delegates measure progress towards this Mission: These should focus on progress towards completion. Including expected completion dates for each is recommended.

• Get at least 50 bootcamp applicants - By July 30th, 2023
  • Review applicants and make acceptance decisions for up to 30 developers - August 1st, 2023
  • Run the 6 session bootcamp - September 18th, 2023
  • Measure the overall engagement of session live streams, participant story write-ups, and how-to articles from the bootcamp - Ongoing

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission? These should be focused on performance and may be used by badgeholders to assess your Mission’s impact in the next round of RetroPGF.

• KPI 1 - Bootcamp graduates

• KPI 2 - Graduates placed in Jobs

• KPI 3 - Total Engagement with bootcamp related articles, videos, and podcasts shared via social media.

Breakdown of Mission budget request:

• Bootcamp Participants - 5 MVP participants and 3 winning project teams will each receive awards 1K OP (8K total)
  • Organizers - Will be reimbursed up to 6K OP each (24k total) based on contributions.
  • Content Creation - 18K OP for generating articles, videos, and podcasts about the projects, participants, and experience and will be shared with the broader ecosystem.

I confirm that my grant will be subject to clawback for failure to execute on critical milestones: [Yes]

I confirm that I have read and understand the grant policies: [Yes]

I understand that I will be required to provide additional KYC information to the Optimism Foundation to receive this grant: [Yes]:

I understand that I will be expected to following the public grant reporting requirements outlined here: [Yes]:

2 Likes

Devs graduating out of this Bootcamp will deploy their dapps on OPTIMISM network. Thanks for backing.

2 Likes

Great idea which allows to easy transition to the blockchain space and develop optimism blockchain.

1 Like

That is correct, all projects for the bootcamp would be built on Optimism.

Great initiative, can help increase awareness and lessen entry to web3 development for those interested

1 Like

I’ve helped a bit with this bootcamp and think it’s one of the more realistic learning experiences developers can get in this space. Would be an amazing way to onboard new and interesting projects.

I was also in the first round of yAcademy, which LizardBrain also led, and thought it was one of the better experiences I had in a developer fellowship program.

Full support!

2 Likes

Love the impact proposed by this bootcamp and imo well deserving of the funding requested. However, it does not yet meet the requirements for S4 Mission delivery.

Is there a way the project timelines can be accelerated for completion by ~ Sept 20

Hi @Lizardbrain! Wanted to make sure you were aware of the Optimism Season 4 Pitching Sessions to help find the 4 delegate approvals you’ll need by this Wednesday at 19:00 GMT for your proposal to move to a vote.

These sessions are happening in Discord on Monday, 26.06 2pm ET / 6pm GMT / 8pm CET and Tuesday, 27.06 11am ET / 3pm GMT / 5pm CET.

You can sign-up here!

I am one of the Synthetix Ambassadors, and a Optimism Badgeholder. I am an Optimism delegate [Delegate Commitments - #65 by mastermojo ] with sufficient voting power, and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote…

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification! I just updated the bootcamp milestones to run from July 30th to Sept 18th.

1 Like

Thanks just signed up!

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power , and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote

2 Likes

Just need 2 more delegates! I would be happy to answer any questions.

I am an Optimism delegate representing Lyra, with sufficient voting power, and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote

Thank you @ksett @Griff and @mastermojo! We just need one more delegate to move to a vote. Any kind delegate souls out there?