[DRAFT] Optimism's tour of universities in Peru

S4 Intent 40: Spread Awareness of the Optimistic Vision

Proposed Mission: Increase the number of Peruvian university builders in the OP ecosystem to create more products within this network. In addition, support them with tools and educational resources to build blockchain clubs in universities.

We will do it with our Andino community

Our metrics so far

+50 face-to-face events organized

+80 attendees per event.

Organization of more than 2 blockchain and web3 hackathons in Peru.

+800 members in our main communication channel.

+3000 followers on all social networks (Youtube, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin, Tiktok)

More about Andino:

The main blockchain media talk about our missions and achievements as a community:

LATAM WEBX HACKATHON 2022

HACKATHON RESULTS

Proposal Tier 45: Fledgling Tier

Please verify that you meet the qualifications for submitting at the above Tier: If an Alliance is comprised of individual contributors tiers, the Tier at which that Alliance may submit should be the Tier at which the Alliance Lead qualifies.

Baseline grant amount: 43,530 OP

We also want to get feedback from the OP ecosystem.

% of total available Intent Budget: 0.5%

Please check here if access to upfront capital is a barrier to completing your Mission and you would like to be considered for a small upfront cash grant: [yes/no] There is no guarantee that all approved Missions will receive cash grants. Yes, because we will have some expenses before the event (not significant)

Alliance name: Optimism tour in Peru

Alliance Lead: @gunmen_099

Contact info: info@andino.ventures . Twitter & telegram: @gunmen_099_

L2 recipient address: 0xb6A56aEd2493f5b2e26afF477D473f0702783525

Please list the members of your Alliance and link to any previous work:

• gunmen_099 , Product Manager in Touch Latam, Cofounder Andino, a community of web3 developers and creators in Peru. +4 years of experience leading product design and business development teams for startups.

• topnexus, Tech Lead at Upstream, Cofounder Andino, a community of web3 developers and creators in Peru.+5 years of experience leading blockchain, artificial intelligence and big data projects.

• jhon99, Operations at Andino, Co-Founder Ayni Educativo and Cedhinfo. +5 years of experience leading educational projects.

• eduardos.eth, Andino Ambassador, student at the Peruvian University of Applied Sciences. +2 years of experience in software design and programming.

Andino social networks:

Linkedin | Andino
Instagram | Andino
Tik tok | Andino
WhatsApp Group
Discord | Andino

Please explain how this Mission will help accomplish the above Intent:

The Optimism Tour is a traveling program that will tour the main universities in Peru for a period of 2 months. During this time, we will conduct a series of blockchain-related events and activities to foster learning and collaboration among university students from engineering, business, marketing, medical and arts faculties. These events will include talks, hands-on workshops, panel discussions and networking sessions, about the Optimism ecosystem.

These clubs will serve as communities of students interested in blockchain, where they can share knowledge, collaborate on projects and explore research and development opportunities in the blockchain field.

At the end of the program, we will organize an inter-university hackathon where students from all participating blockchain clubs will be able to put into practice their skills and knowledge acquired during the program. The hackathon will be an exciting and challenging competition that will allow students to work in teams and develop innovative solutions based on the Optimism network where we will provide prizes in Optimism tokens to accelerate the use of the network within the Peruvian university community.

What makes your Alliance well-suited to execute this Mission?

This is the first time we participate in an Optimism application, but we have seen the support that optimism provides to communities around the world and we do not want Peru to be the exception, we want to share the mission and opportunities that the OP ecosystem is providing to our community of developers and young creators.

Andino has been contributing a lot to the Peruvian blockchain ecosystem for more than a year and a half now, providing a friendly ecosystem to learn, develop and undertake emerging technologies such as blockchain.

We provide resources, educational opportunities and nationwide competitions on blokchain such as university hackathons for men and women as we seek gender equality in technology.

We are a community of over 800 active members who hold frequent weekly, monthly and annual events such as meetups, workshops and hackathons in Peru.

We have the support of leading universities in education in our country:

• Universidad de Ciencias Aplicadas
  • University of the Pacific
  • Pontifical Catholic University of Peru
  • University of Engineering and Technology

Please list a critical milestone. The critical milestone should be a measure of whether you’ve made best efforts to execute what is outlined in this proposal or not. If you fail to achieve your critical milestone, your grant may be clawed back.

Please list the critical milestone(s) that should be tracked to determine if you should receive your grant in one year:

1. Build blockchain clubs in universities.
  2. Organization of 4 meetups in different universities.
  3. Organization of an inter-university hybrid hackathon in Peru.

How should Token House delegates measure progress towards this Mission: These should focus on progress towards completion. Including expected completion dates for each.

Please review the following document: Important Milestones.

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission? These should be focused on performance and may be used by badgeholders to assess your Misson’s impact in the next round of RetroPGF.

KPI #1: Student participation: We will measure student participation in each program event, including the number of attendees and the level of engagement during the activities. This will allow us to assess the interest and acceptance of the program among students.

KPI#2: Project development: We will measure the number and quality of projects developed by blockchain clubs during the program. This will allow us to evaluate the level of active participation of the students and their ability to apply the concepts learned in practical projects.

KPI#3: Student feedback: We will collect feedback and evaluations from participating students to assess their satisfaction with the program and gather ideas for future improvements. This will help us adapt and improve the program in future iterations.

Breakdown of Mission budget request:

I. Creation of the blockchain club in 4 universities, support to attendees, including educational material in Spanish, organization of 4 meetups with main faculties of each university, documentation in an online platform, final reports and KPI tracking: 10,470 OP.

II. Creation of a marketing plan for the dissemination of the 4 organized meetups, such as design of publications, advertisements on social media platforms. 4,680 OP

II. Planning, organization and execution of the inter-university hackathon where the logistics of the event, mentoring, programming workshops during the hackathon, providing travel to the organizing team will be managed. In addition to the creation and execution of a marketing plan for hackathon registrations.
18,380 OP

II. Hackathon prizes 10.000 OP
1st place: 5.000 OP
2nd place: 3,000 OP
3rd place: 2,000 OP

Total: 43,530 OP

I confirm that my grant will be subject to clawback for failure to execute on critical milestones: Yes

I confirm that I have read and understand the grant policies: Yes

I understand that I will be required to provide additional KYC information to the Optimism Foundation to receive this grant: Yes

I understand that I will be expected to following the public grant reporting requirements outlined here: Yes

4 Likes

Hi Diego! I think your post is missing some information, this is the template for proposed missions: Proposed Mission Template

1 Like

Hello, I already completed everything necessary for the template. Let me know if everything is ok.

Love the idea of funding uni clubs and hackathons, that seems a great way to onboard builders and therefore satisfy ‘Intent 3’.

Can you clarify which Universities are involved though, you listed 5:

• Universidad de Ciencias Aplicadas
  • University of the Pacific
  • Pontifical Catholic University of Peru
  • National Major University of San Marcos
  • University of Engineering and Technology

But then talked about just 4 clubs and meetups? I’m guessing they already have blockchain clubs and you’re hoping to focus them more on the Optimistic Vision, or are these universities which don’t yet have anything like that?

2 Likes

Hi MinimalGravitas, thanks for the question I’m glad you found our proposal interesting.

1. The universities that will participate in this tour will be 4: Universidad de Ciencias Aplicadas, PontificUniversidad CatĂłlica del PerĂș, Universidad de IngenerĂ­a y TecnologĂ­a, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos.
    For the first time, they will receive education on blockchain and the Optimism ecosystem.

2. Our proposal is to increase our efforts to hold 4 meetups at the universities mentioned above and to encourage the creation of an Optimism blockchain club so that after a few months an inter-university hackathon can be held among all participating universities.

1 Like

Hi @gunmen_099! Wanted to make sure you were aware of the Optimism Season 4 Pitching Sessions to help find the 4 delegate approvals you’ll need by this Wednesday at 19:00 GMT for your proposal to move to a vote.

These sessions are happening in Discord on Monday, 26.06 2pm ET / 6pm GMT / 8pm CET and Tuesday, 27.06 11am ET / 3pm GMT / 5pm CET.

You can sign-up here!

As a contributor of @seedlatam for the @Joxes delegation, I have analyzed this mission following the criteria mentioned in this post.

• The proposal follows the standard template and is detailed
  • The requested funds seem in line, although the team should remember the Policy they will need to abide Grant Token Lock Explainer
  • The proposed scope is beneficial to the drivers LATAM and Optimism need, although the timeline seems a bit tight for a hackathon organization within the time frame.

Therefore, I am IN FAVOR of this mission and the delegation will be using the standard template to confirm this.

3 Likes

Thank you @Netrim

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power, and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

3 Likes

Sounds good to me. The only university I’ve ever visited in Peru was in Huanuco, but I assume all of these are in Lima? Anyway, happy to support your mission to bring Optimism to more students. Fresh brains come with fresh ideas so hopefully this works out well.

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

3 Likes

Hello Netrim,
Thank you very much for your comments, about the hackathon schedule it is flexible we can do it 2 months in advance so there will be no problem in convening the university participants.

We will take this into account in the planning of the hackathon,

Thank you.

Hello MinimalGravitas,
I’m glad you came to Peru and I hope you had a great time. For this specific mission we want to focus on the presence of Optimism in the main universities in Peru.

We are also working to provide a tour in Peru to reach the provinces in the interior of the country. Thank you for your support.

(1) It is not true that it would be the first time that these universities receive education about blockchain. For example, Algorand is building a club at the Catholic University. At the same university, webinars on blockchain have been held since 2019. Ethereum Lima also conducts workshops at the University of the Pacific.

(2) In Peru, it is known that Andino and WomenBiz are part of the same group. And among the DRAFTs, there are 3 requests between Andino and WomenBiz:

• Latam Women Biz Hackathon in the OP Ecosystem: 40,000 OP
  • Optimism’s tour of universities in Peru: 43,530 OP
  • English Networking Club for testing web3 products with Optimism: 15,000 OP

In practice, they are requesting 93,530 OP. As a community, they have not worked with Optimism before, yet they applied for RetroFunding and received 21k OP without having conducted any retrospective activities with Optimism.

The only known fact is that they appear on social media mentioning that they received funds from OP. But do they receive funds just to mention that they received certain funds?

For example, the first photo refers to a side event of a blockchain event where blockchain like Hive or Metis attended, and WomenBiz only mentioned that they received public good funds from Optimism (at the precise moment the photo was taken).

On the other hand, WomenBiz/Andino contributed to the organization of the blockchain event, but there was not even a workshop on Optimism (even though they had already received funds by that time).

Honestly, it seems like they are requesting funds because it seemed easy for them to get them the first time. I am not saying that their objective cannot be good. But if they already have funds without having previously carried out activities, I believe it is appropriate to use them correctly and request additional resources based on subsequent measurements. Requesting nearly 93,530 OP sounds concerning, and that does a lot of harm to the Peruvian ecosystem. The promptness of these actions makes one think that they are doing it for the funds rather than for the growth of the ecosystem.

It’s as if adding “with OP” is enough for what happened in the RetroFunding to happen again.
Finally, being an initiative that generates Public Goods does not entitle us to indiscriminately ask for funding in every financing round that comes up (both within the Optimism ecosystem and beyond).We must not only take care of Optimism’s health but also that of the entire ecosystem.

The Peruvian community has noticed this, and in a strange move, they only announced today that they will do something with Optimism for the first time.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

in order to clarify the following accusation that contributes nothing to the proposal and objectives of this mission for Optimism.

Andino is an open community and always with a collaborative spirit of multidisciplinary people, with different profiles and passions in life. We are constantly looking for collaboration because we believe it is the only way to grow the blockchain ecosystem in general in Latin America, since the beginning we have been collaborating with different communities, blockchain protocols and startups with a single goal to add more opportunities for our community and its participants.

We have been talking and commenting about Optimism’s opportunities and vision since February 2022. In the first OP airdrop #1 our Andino community had more than 15 people benefit, we helped them oboard to create their metamask wallet, participate in a multiallocation and claim their OP Tokens.

This is the news and proof that we are the first web3 and blockchain community to hold web3 events in Peru, where we invited different communities to participate.

Andino has always held its own events such as LATAM WEBX HACKATHON where we invite the entire community to contribute to its development. In recent events we have sought alliances with communities from different areas, from innovation centers, startups, private educational centers to reach new audiences.

We have not charged a dollar to anyone to participate in our events, on the contrary we have brought opportunities to the community such as monetary prizes, free education and all this hand in hand with the collaboration of web3 organizations, startups, private organizations and communities in Peru.

We are starting to hold face-to-face events about the Optimism ecosystem and inviting public goods winning projects to have their testimonials, as well as WEB3BEACH, a great disseminator of Optimism vision.

We would like to share with you the tools that our community has started to develop in order to continue spreading the word about Optimism.

Andino was the start of several web3 communities in Peru. The publications, dates and photos prove it.

Thank you, we will continue to organize more Optimism events and we will not let bad comments detract from our will.

Just to make it clear,
I stated that what you mentioned about the university is not true. (For the first time, they will receive education on blockchain)
I stated that you haven’t worked with Optimism before.

This is to emphasize that the sum you are requesting through all their DRAFTs is very high: 93,530 OP. Taking care of Optimism’s health and the ecosystem does not mean distancing or ceasing to contribute to Optimism’s mission and objectives.

Your response is focused on the fact that Andino has organized events, something that has never been questioned.(All your images and videos are focused on this)

Finally, assigning predefined questions/prompts to a chatbot does not mean that you developed the tool for that purpose. In fact, did you use a picture from an AI event (CRDZandCO and Biwit) to tell us that it was a crypto event? I guess that’s why you changed the image

In summary,
Following what happened at RetroPGF 2, where without retroactive activity, part of your team took 21k OP, it gives the impression that you want to repeat the same pattern by proposing last-minute events with the goal of requesting funds (considering the amount) rather than promoting the healthy growth of the ecosystem.

I’m not saying that Andino doesn’t contribute to the web3 ecosystem, I’m saying that the requested amount and the approach are not correct.

Andino has organized events on blockchain and web3 in different universities since 2021 such as Universidad Continental, Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola, Universidad Nacional de Ingeneria and Touluse Laurect.

Again to clarify doubts:

1. Andino is a community of emerging technologies such as blockchain, web3, artificial intelligence and innovation in these. We have been promoting these topics for a year.

2. The mission is to reach new universities such as Universidad de Ciencias Aplicadas, PontificUniversidad CatĂłlica del PerĂș, Universidad de IngenerĂ­a y TecnologĂ­a, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos where there is no talk about optimism.

3. Andino has always collaborated with different brands as a strategic ally to reach new users in our community.

Biwit and Andino have a collaboration agreement as you can see, we have different events about artificial intelligence and we use the tool for educational purposes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cs6RLguO6J1/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ctav0N0O3Qe/

1. The Andino team consists of the following people:

Diego Montes, Product Manager in Touch Latam, Cofounder Andino, a community of web3 developers and creators in Peru. +4 years of experience leading product design and business development teams for startups.

Paul Garcia, Tech Lead at Upstream, Cofounder Andino, a community of web3 developers and creators in Peru.+5 years of experience leading blockchain, artificial intelligence and big data projects.

Jhon Villena 2, Operations at Andino, Co-Founder Ayni Educativo and Cedhinfo. +5 years of experience leading educational projects.

Eduardo Arhuata, Andino Ambassador, student at the Peruvian University of Applied Sciences. +2 years of experience in software design and programming.

None of these people are currently applying for other projects.

The funds raised are used for execution by meeting the objectives and KPIs. Our efforts are different from other web3 communities and organizations.

Let’s not continue to fall into bad energy and false accusations for a community that the only thing we do since 2021 is to work honestly and welfare for the community in general.

Thank you,

Lot’s of controversy in this one. I’m going to support it but will do more research, and may not vote for it.

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power , and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote

Hello, Diego.

How incredible that there are more people and communities wanting to educate not only about Optimism but also about everything related to blockchain in universities!

However, I consider the funding amount to be quite ambitious, considering the current state of the Peruvian ecosystem. 43,530 OP is approximately US$55,283, which, at the exchange rate in Peruvian currency, would be over S/200,000 for just two months of touring and a hackathon.

As an active member of the Peruvian community, I’m sorry to correct you regarding the response given to MinimalGravitas, where you state that it’s the first time this type of university receives education about blockchain and the ecosystem. This overlooks the work that many communities have been doing to bring education to more students, and it doesn’t seem right to make such a statement without having the correct data.

I can understand that you may not be aware of what other communities are doing; however, I believe we need to be very careful when asserting something without absolute certainty. For example, today in the afternoon, Ethereum Lima is hosting a workshop at the Universidad del PacĂ­fico where these topics will be covered. Every Saturday, Ethereum Lima, in collaboration with ETH KIPU and Blockchain Bites, provides classes to developers at UNI. This is just one example of a community that has already been active in these universities you mentioned, but there are many others like Club del Bitcoin, CryptoAmigos, 21MBulls, Definomics Labs, and CriptoCuriosas that have been consistently doing the same.

On the other hand, and more aligned with resource utilization, two of the mentioned universities are quite strict regarding the dissemination of these types of events. I say this from my experience working with them. Since it is targeted at their students, they do not allow external dissemination beyond the communication channels assigned to the students. Therefore, I consider the investment of 4,680 OP (approximately US$5,940 and, at the local exchange rate, S/21,000) to be incredibly excessive for dissemination purposes.

I mention all of this with the sole purpose of urging you to carefully review the funding you are requesting and to be transparent in what you present and ask for. Remember that as communities, we represent Peru abroad, and it would be regrettable if an indiscriminate funding perception arises, which unfortunately seems to be happening already.

Let’s remember that good faith and optimistic vision are the guiding principles for every action taken.
By working together and in a coordinated manner, we will help and educate more people in the region.

2 Likes

I don’t know the confilcts of the Peru community, but I think you just violated the code of conduct that is written in this forum, here I leave you to read it. I think this goes against the values of the Optimism Collective. Please read carefully and respect the spirit of this governance.

6 Likes

Sorry @Gonna.eth @AxlVaz for the inconvenience, I gave my personal opinion with sources and evidence of the accusations that are being made to me and the community I represent.

I respect the rules, I did not read them before, sorry for that.

I did not think at any time that participating in an Optimism forum would lead me to argue.

My reply was deleted.

@AxlVaz
Thank you for providing me with this information, again apologies, I will pay attention to the rules of coexistence of the forum.