Airdrop #1 Feedback Thread

Just like those who got 6k tokens for not using optimism at all, right? It’s still an assessment and wishful thinking about people wanting to dump or wanting to govern, but rewarding people for testing protocol and their actual participation - where sybillers are quite crucial due to the sheer number of interactions - feels at least fair. And they are still users. You can tweak any metrics for their reward - just like optimism did with 6 categories bonus - without cutting them out “just because”, which is good for the narrative, which will bring even more attention and users to the project.

How so? They are participating and ramping those juicy volume/users numbers up, stressing the network and testing interractions in droves. If their actions are too simplistic - ramp up airdrop requirements, if they are pervasive and all-around - good, then they’ve been more useful to the protocol than you and your complaints on twitter. Contribution and reward is a fair game, you can increase your contribution if you find your reward lacking, projects would be only thankful for that.

You should make a continuous airdop with small amont available every day. And airdrop should be claimable manualy.

1 Like

every day? could you please explain your reasoning behind it?

2 Likes

Optimism so far has done a great job at balancing Optimism users and cutting out those trying to game a potential airdrop, those types of users would probably sell immediately too.

To compare OP to Parasawp and Hop is ridiculous, both of them were clearly not fair but OP is fair (minus the gitcoin donations on L2 being ignored…:innocent:)

Just some recommendation from me, we know people that not use optimism even got airdrop so doesnt make sense if you take off the optimism user itself.

But IF you want to take care of sybil, is need to be special spesification.

Example: we know the sybil use multiple wallet, but maybe one of the address are active user on optimism chain so if the sybil address have more than 10 transaction on optimism chain, they still eligable for airdrop. We can assume they are maybe have 100 account but only a couple address have most activeness on chain, so we are can still rewards the parent address to make him still use the optimism ecosystem.

If you are sybilling you are hurting the protocol and should be slashed completely. i even believe we should offer bounties for those who write scripts to catch the malicious users.

1 Like

Holy shit! how do they manage? :roll_eyes:

I would get in touch with the Hop team because they’ve been doing a lot of work catching sybillers. I think you’ll find that you guys have a lot of the same common addresses that Hop flagged as a sybilling wallet.

3 Likes

For the next airdrop, I’d also suggest rewarding addresses that don’t dump any $OP after claim, or only sell some (maybe on a 3-tiered basis).

4 Likes

Totally happy to see detailed discussions and debates here. For me, sybil is one of the biggest roadblocks for decentralized governance many projects seeking for, and it is dramatically difficult to remove them once too late (already claimed all tokens). Based on my observations, I saw that there is a large scale of sybil on Juno chain (on Cosmos) where someone knew the criteria and gamed it. Now the community is finding ways to remove that large account but it would cause many drawbacks too (ref)

Regarding Hop approach, I understand that some people would like to let OP use the same approach. Personally I think it may open up loopholes for OP since we have >1 times of airdrops. Given this situation, sybil farmers can game it and then report themselves. So, I would love to suggest 3 sources of addresses to be investigated:

1. OP team
  2. Leverage sybils identified by Hop approach
  3. Open for community to submit potential sybil addresses (out of #1 and #2) without any reward - there is still an indirect incentive for OP holders to identify due to less circulation supply (those sybils will not be claimable).
3 Likes

I think the sybil attacker’s address should be excluded, but the HOP’s way is very crude and it cannot exclude professional airdrop hunters.
There needs to be some time left for suspected airdrop hunters to appeal, and if their reasons are appropriate and the community agrees, then they can be considered for retention, so that no innocent people can be excluded due to address association.
Other than that, you can consider about setting up an ecological incentive fund, not only for DApp developers, but also some NFT marketplace should be provided for them to incentive the operators of long-term NFT projects and the community. NFTs are very important for OP because they allow more people to see the advantages of OP.

2 Likes

Great work in attempting to cast the net as wide as possible. I do believe in the future drops we could try include [quote=“GLCstaked, post:6, topic:80”]
Addresses that deposited to Beacon Chain Contract ( ETH validators )
[/quote]

Just would like to add my take on the sybil resistance…

I do agree that Sybil attacks are a problem in some cases and need to be reviewed. It wouldn’t really be a problem in Optimism governance as we have the Token House & the Citizens’ House. With that being said, there are some pros for not excluding sybil attackers.

• A sybil attackers provides the network with many transactions, creating a stress test environment and reduces overall transaction fees for everyone.

• Generally the attackers are first to sell allowing people who missed out on the airdrop to join the adventure by acquiring some undervalued tokens. This in turn can further distribute the token to many more people.

Disclaimer: I did not sybil attack Optimism.
Request: If you are a sybil attacker please consider delegating to me :grin:

2 Likes

Maybe tasks to do every week or month to earn points or something like that for next airdrop

1 Like

I think you might be looking for the GF: Phase 0 Proposals - various dApps built on Optimism are requesting pots of OP which they will then distribute to their users - for more info check out Governance Fund Overview | Optimism Docs .

For the Airdrop logistics: I think vesting period(per week/per month) is helpful for reducing sell pressure and It gives more awareness to people about the project at least for the vesting period of time.

1 Like

I think there are real users that just hunted the airdrop on videos like chico crypto ones, they just bridged and did a swap on uniswap and for that they are getting some tokens. Question is, do they deserve to be blocked?? Imo this category will dump their tokens very quick. If wanted they can be excluded by taking out all wallets with less than 5 transactions.

Sybil attackers, as others pointed out many people abused the system as they always does, i think these ones should be taken out 100%, those easily seen sending funds from 1 wallet to 20+ wallets and then farming with the same activity on all of those wallets. These type will also dump the tokens, and with difference with the above category, they are getting thousands and thousands of them to dump for each person.

I like the approach HOP is taking, take out the ones that are farming in huge amounts (i think they took out 20+ connected wallets with shady behaviour and considering those above 10+ depending on behaviour)

1 Like

Oooh I’m liking this post. I think it’d be healthy to get some genuinely active wallets involved instead of random freshly made wallets with zero to no transactions!

1 Like

This is such a good idea, may be some eligibility criteria on the number of transaction done by the address in a month

1 Like

Coming from someone in crypto since BTC was $300… eliminate all the sybil farmers. I completely bail on projects that had gamed distribution from the start. This is about decentralization and community. People get furious when they get 727 tokens and dude botted and gets 500k.

I could have botted, and I guess if not filtering out all sybil attacks to the best of ability is optimisms approach I certainly would make it a point to bot in the future, because thats acceptable here to many apparently. Been using optimism a long while, decided to check governance for the first time and this is the first thread I read. Man. Initial post started so positive too.

Very lame to see so much pro sybil discussion. Eliminate every last sybil farmer you can find. Quite disapointed in the general acceptance of sybil farmers over here on optimism.

Just reward real people for real things, incentivize legit users that arent gaming an airdrop. Real users should be part of governance, unless you really want the top ten bots running your chain. For every huge sybil farmer eliminated the little guy gets more say, more tokens, and thats a stronger community.

8 Likes

I think the same, lame to see Sybil attackers here defending themselves. I remember seeing the contracts when chico crypto and others mentioned Optimism or zkSync or others, and you could see the bridge how it was spammed like crazy… We dont have that amount of users, its lying to ourselves if we think we have 200k+ unique users.
I get it some might have real 1-5 wallets bc one its for multisig, different type of hot wallets, a ledger, etc… But those who have 20+ wallets its near imposible they are not sybil attackers and going just for a quick profit and exit the space, providing nothing.

I also at some point thinked about doing sybil, i havent, but if the sybil attackers are rewarded in this airdrop #1 , why wouldnt we all do the same for airdrop #2? Thats the sad part, we have the first airdrop and the second one announced for the future, if we give sybil attackers a free pass, for the second airdrop will be a chaos (and more because the allocation is bigger).
Optimism has a new ethos no other has put into the table, allowing these farmers to take a huge % will go against to all of Optimism ideals.

9 Likes