Airdrop #1 Feedback Thread

We would love to hear your thoughts on airdrop #1! In order to keep the feedback in one place, please reply to this thread with your thoughts and suggestions.

Good feedback includes:

• Suggestions for how to tune spam filters to reward real users.
    • Includes sybil resistance as well as improving false sybil positives.
  • Positive sum behaviors you think contribute to the community.
  • Airdrop logistics (size, frequency, etc)

Please leave constructive feedback so we keep the signal to noise ratio high in here! <333

Thank you!!!

164 Likes

Itโ€™s interesting to consider what we think is positive impact behavior right now and moving forward.
If we look at Optimisim as a City we want it to become denser, more poppin, we want our friends to be here, we want the cool stores to be here, we want great nightlife etc.
While we want the city to be poppin, we want to maintain the quality of life - this could be largely solved thru public goods funding.

Mainly, Iโ€™m curious about how opinionated the Optimism collective wants to be about incentivizing specific behavior.

If the collective feels itโ€™s fine to subsidize certain protocols, I would suggest

• Incentivizing L2 bridge (f.e. Hop) liquidity to allow citizens to easily get to and from Optimism
  • Incentivizing DEX liquidity & usage (f.e. Uniswap) so the network effects become strong enough to overtake mainnet
  • Incentivizing efficient asset allocation f.e. using Lending protocols - people focus on TVL, but more important is that assets are productive
  • Incentivizing deployment of contracts that are used - this could be a catch-all for the whole economy, specifically rewarding smaller projects and NFTs and tokens. But obviously easily gameable

Just a few ideas :sun_with_face:

45 Likes

i will give some suggestions for airdrop #1 regarding eligibilty criteria here is

1. At list use optimism bridge one time to fund his account and deposit at list 0.001ETH or if not use bridge then at list deposit 0.01ETH from any other sources

2. make at list 5 transaction in optimism network in any type. or use optimism network at list 1days or more

3. total 5 transactions value is at list 5$ or more

if any one meet this criteria then we consider for optimum user airdrop apart from that repeatOptimism Users*
DAO Voters
Multisig Signers
Gitcoin Donores
Users Priced Out of Ethereum active users criteria is same who published Optimism Gateway is good

25 Likes

Some suggestions here, will use this comment as my personal list of potential improvements:

• Give users the ability to see a โ€œdetailed breakdownโ€ view which will show them exactly why they were (or were not) eligible for a given category. Would significantly reduce the amount of noise in Discord where users are asking us to double check if the algorithm ran correctly (it did).
  • Avoid vague category names like โ€œOptimism Userโ€ or โ€œRepeat Optimism Userโ€. Weโ€™re not actually rewarding Optimism users in general, weโ€™re rewarding a sub-class of Optimism users that fit a given behavior (necessary because we have to filter out spam somehow). Using a generic category name like โ€œOptimism Userโ€ creates a sense of unfairness for people who were users of Optimism but didnโ€™t hit the minimum usage requirements to get the bucket.
  • Look into ZK attestations for users that own multiple wallets to prove that they do, in fact, own multiple wallets and can therefore get the bonus for those wallets together. Unfortunately there are some clear problems with this approach, unrelated parties could come together to pretend to share the same wallets to get the bonus, effectively giving people more tokens than they should fairly receive.
21 Likes

Iโ€™m making the case that Addresses that deposited to Beacon Chain Contract ( ETH validators ) are among a set of the Ethereum community best suited for these tokens, for various reasons I go into this thread (https://twitter.com/GLCstaked/status/1519382570244390912)

These actors have proven

• ๐ฅ๐จ๐ง๐  ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ๐ฆ ๐š๐ฅ๐ข๐ ๐ง๐ฆ๐ž๐ง๐ญ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ญ๐ก ๐„๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž๐ฎ๐ฆ, ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ž๐œ๐ข๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐ฉ๐ซ๐ž-๐ฆ๐ž๐ซ๐ ๐ž
  • ๐š๐ฉ๐ญ๐ข๐ญ๐ฎ๐๐ž ๐ญ๐จ ๐ซ๐ฎ๐ง ๐ง๐จ๐๐ž๐ฌ /๐ฌ๐ž๐ซ๐ฏ๐ข๐œ๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ง๐ž๐ญ๐ฐ๐จ๐ซ๐ค
  • ๐‘๐ž๐š๐ฅ ๐ซ๐ž๐ฌ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ๐œ๐ž๐ฌ ๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ž๐ง๐ญ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฌ๐ž๐œ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ง๐ž๐ญ๐ฐ๐จ๐ซ๐ค, ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐œ๐š๐ง๐ง๐จ๐ญ ๐›๐ž ๐’๐ฒ๐›๐ข๐ฅ ๐š๐ญ๐ญ๐š๐œ๐ค๐ž๐

If OP plays a role in decentralisation of the sequencer then this makes even more sense, existing validators are most likely to run nodes for optimism. every validator Iโ€™ve spoken too, has expressed interest to run nodes on L2.

Every airdrop eligibility criteria I have seen in this space can be gamed, but addresses in this set must have committed a non-trivial amount of capital until the merge, must be confident in the Ethereum communitiesโ€™ ability to execute its roadmap and be positioned for long term success. must provide physical infrastructure or pay for it to keep the validator active on the Network, this must be persistent which incurs electricity costs, hardware costs, internet provider costs and time/effort for maintenance.

I plan to create a governance proposal, for allocating a portion of the remainder of 14% airdrop tokens to beacon chain contract depositors, anybody interested in discussing this get in touch with me via twitter *my username

25 Likes

I think this is a really interesting proposal. As I mentioned on Discord, I would propose that any mechanism that rewards Beacon Chain depositors/validators take into account the following:

• Whether or not the address is a solo staker
  • Whether or not the address uses a minority client

We have an interesting opportunity to highly incentivize certain beneficial behaviors on the Beacon Chain if done correctly.

14 Likes

The Sybil attacker draining 500K OP tokens and it can be used as sequencer attack in the future. This is only the surface that people found and reported which could be the tip of the iceberg

Please seriously consider blacklisting these addresses from the Airdrop#1 and the future airdrops.
We understand Optimism encourage network volumes and activities but kindly consider the security of the network as the heart of the chain, ser.
Iโ€™m having my followers discussing on this network threat from Sybil attackers and express strong opinions on this feedback

92 Likes

Just leaving this tweet here, hopefully it helps, https://twitter.com/kavourias/status/1519192669465030657?s=21&t=dyzXH3Y08XHjSxzJ5hksRQ and hopefully the team is aware of it. Cheers

10 Likes

I think the approach to the airdrop is great. But for whatever its worth, under โ€œpriced out of ethereumโ€ the threshold seems to be high IMO. 2 transactions a week on L1 is not a cheap endeavor for smaller capital users (like me). If we were โ€œpriced out of ethereumโ€ it was because we couldnโ€™t afford to transact very often at all on L1 so we used other L2s to participate. It just seems to me it isnโ€™t accurately named. Maybe โ€œL2 explorersโ€ would be more accurate. If you want to hit users who used bridges to expand to L2โ€™s because we donโ€™t have that kind of money then transacting twice a week on L1 is not us. The earlier adaptors and more wealthy definitely hit that mark. I think it just depends what the goal of that category was, but either way probably not the most accurate name.

20 Likes

I agree with this topic. 500K $OP draining may affect to the DAO decision in the future and this is not a normal participation.

4 Likes

I agreed the team should do something to make it right.

2 Likes

I agree with you team should do something right for community :kissing:

2 Likes

I agree and the next airdrop maybe it is attacked already.

5 Likes

People are aware of the reports of Sybil attacks and are actively investigating. Will have more information soonโ„ข.

10 Likes

Itโ€™s not possible to see which validator runs which client. Some data can be gathered from block proposals but you canโ€™t 100% be sure about the client everybody runs. Thatโ€™s also a the reason why we donโ€™t know for sure what the real client diversity is.

But I also think individual node operators should be in this drop rather than big staking firms.

6 Likes
  I couldn't agree more with your post.  I think the length of history and total transaction count of layer 1 wallet should have been explored rather than transactions after bridging, during what was a brutal gas period.  
 I am So great full to have hit 3 out of 5, and as a good Ethernaut I'm paying my penance by checking off the other 2 after the fact. 
I come from nothing and Ethereum, Uniswap, ENS, and now Optimism have made me feel included in a way I've never known. Just for being curious    Thank you Thank you
4 Likes

Personally I believe the OP team didnโ€™t handle the airdrop correctly. Sure you are trying to avoid large Sybil attacks for 100โ€™s of wallets. Though, any person that even wanted to try OP with a single bridge and a few swaps should of been included. I mean, even a small amount compared to the other checklist requirements, a 100 tokens or something. They excluded 200k wallets and likely lost a ton of future users in the process. It basically was a Paraswap type exclusion on a lesser scale.

4 Likes

Perhaps split those recovered Sybil wallets tokens between the single bridge/swaps wallets that used the protocol. It was wrong to exclude people that did support OP on a lesser scale, still supported OP.

2 Likes

absolutely on โ€œlength of historyโ€ because I think that will get you closer to actual people rather than burner wallets. Excited by this either way just want to contribute if possible.

2 Likes

OMG Please seriously consider

3 Likes