Season 6 Nominations: Grants Council

Grants Council Self-Nomination: v3naru_Curia

GM everyone! It’s been a pleasure being a part of the milestones and metrics team last season and would love to continue serving the collective again! Thank you in advance for your consideration. :blush:

Council sub-committee:
Milestones and Metrics Reviewer

If you are a delegate, please provide the link to your delegate profile:
Curia Agora Profile

If you are a delegate, please indicate what % of votable supply is delegated to you:

99,811 OP (0.11%)

If you are a delegate, please indicate your voting participation rate in OP governance to date: 90.2% (46/51)

Please link to your voting history and any voting rationale you’ve shared:
Curia Voting History and Rationale

Do you have a technical background?:
I do not have a technical background, but do have access to multiple senior engineers within our team.

Please outline your contributions, and their impact, to the Optimism ecosystem to date:

• I have contributed to the Optimism ecosystem by building OP Governance Analytics dashboard which aims to provide in-depth of insight into governance activities both for the Token House and the Citizen House within Optimism Collective.

• Assist OP foundation on Retro Delegate Rewards: Season 4 on auditing eligiblity list based on our onchain data

• Assist OP foundation on Season 5: Retro Governance Participation Rewards on auditing eligiblity list based on our onchain data

• Milestones and Metrics subcommittee: As part of the previous M&M subcommittee, we were able to successfully evaluate hundreds of application milestones and updates throughout the entire season. Our responsibilities included evaluating applicant project milestones in S5, evaluate previous seasons grantee on their milestones completion, follow-up with projects and resolve any conflicts with the grantees that arose during the previous seasons.

• Active OP governance participants since Season 3, I’ve helped sponsored mission request, submitting proposals for approvals, and engaged in other governance initiatives and activities (RPGF3, Governance Calls, etc.). These has given me a solid grasp of what’s happening on the ground in the Optimism ecosystem, which is key for reviewing grant milestones.

Please demonstrate any non-Optimism experience you believe is relevant to this role and/or your sub-committee:

• I have been engaging with the blockchain space since 2018, working across various roles that combine business savvy with analytics expertise. My experience with a Thai crypto startup unicorn has provided me with insights into the web3 economy and the factors that contribute to a successful venture in this space. This background has honed my critical thinking skills, which are vital for assessing the viability and potential impact of projects seeking grants.

• In my venture builder role with SCB10x, I am at the forefront of innovation, regularly interacting with emerging technologies and business models. This exposure ensures that I stay updated on the latest trends and challenges within the blockchain industry, enabling me to evaluate grant proposals through a contemporary lens.

• My active participation in DAO governance across several communities has also equipped me with a first-hand understanding of decentralized operations and community-driven initiatives. This experience is directly relevant to the operations of the Optimism Grant Council, as it ensures a balanced evaluation of proposals and focusing on transparency, accountability, and the alignment of project goals with community interests.

Have you previously served in a representative (appointed or elected) role in the Collective?
Yes, I’ve served as Season 5 Milestones and Metrics subcommittee along with @Juanbug_PGov and @mmurthy.

Please describe your philosophy on what makes a good Mission Application:

Good Mission Application

A good mission application is characterized by its alignment with the long-term goals of the ecosystem it aims to support. It should drive genuine engagement, foster innovation, and facilitate sustainable growth within the community.

Strategic Alignment: Missions should support projects that are in sync with the overarching mission of the collective, contributing to a clear, shared vision for the future. This means funding initiatives that are not just beneficial in the short term but also contribute to the lasting development of the OP ecosystem.

Implementation Readiness: Good mission applications are backed by a robust plan of action. Proposals should come with a well-thought-out strategy for deployment, ensuring that the project can hit the ground running as soon as its approved.

Measurable Impact: The application must have clearly defined, achievable milestones that allow for tracking progress and evaluating success. This transparency ensures that the community can see the value generated by the grant over time.

Positive-Sum Outcomes: The mission application should be designed to be positive-sum, providing as much or more value to the collective as they do to the grant recipients. They should not be about one-off marketing stunts but about building something that brings lasting benefits to all stakeholders involved.

Community Engagement: A strong proposal is one that actively involves the community, not only in the decision-making process but also in the execution and feedback loops. This approach ensures that the projects funded are truly reflective of the community’s needs and aspirations.

Long-Term Contribution: Finally, grantees should see themselves as long-term contributor to the collective. The relationship should not end with the grant; it should be the beginning of an ongoing collaboration that helps grow the ecosystem for years to come.

In summary, I think a good grant is one that is well-planned, aligned with long-term ecosystem goals, involves the community, and can demonstrate its impact clearly and effectively.

What types of Mission Requests do you think will help achieve the Season 6 Intents?:

Season 6 Mission Requests

Here are some areas where I see them playing a crucial role in achieving Optimism Collective’s goals for season 6:

Intent 1:

• Shifting Voting Power: A key focus for me is fostering a more balanced governance system. We need Mission Requests that address the concentration of voting power among a select few. Initiatives that incentivize delegation through partial delegate features or delegate incentive programs are crucial. Additionally, Mission Requests simplifying voter participation will broaden engagement.

• Strengthening Retro Funding: Retro Funding is a powerful tool, but its effectiveness can be improved. Mission Requests that streamline the process are key. We need to empower applicants smooth onboarding and also tools that allow badgeholders to make better informed decision. Furthermore, Mission Requests that integrate impact measurement metrics already used in OP governance will help assess the true value of proven record projects.

Intent 3:

With transaction costs plummeting thanks to recent upgrades, Optimism is on the cusp of becoming a developer haven. To unlock this potential, we need Mission Requests that:

• Developer Tools: Mission request that incentivize the development and integration developer tooling. This will significantly reduce friction for developers building dApps on Optimism.

Building a Thriving Superchain Ecosystem: I would also like to see mission request that empowers individual L2 chains within the Superchain to run their own grant programs. Mission Requests supporting this initiative will allow these chains to leverage their unique expertise and attract developers to their specific ecosystems, fostering a more diverse and vibrant Superchain overall.

Beyond DeFi:

While DeFi is crucial, Optimism can be so much more. Mission Requests that incentivize development in:

• SocialFi and NFTs: Imagine a thriving social media and NFT landscape built on Optimism! Mission Requests supporting these burgeoning sectors could be a real game-changer.
  • Novel Applications: We need to push boundaries. Mission Requests that incentivize the development of novel on-chain games, AI/ML applications, and other innovative use cases will make Optimism a truly unique and future-proof ecosystem.

By focusing on these areas, S6 Mission Requests can be the catalyst for a more decentralized Optimism, a thriving developer ecosystem, and a diverse Superchain.

Please disclose any anticipated conflicts of interest:
None, and I’m happy to disclose any future potential conflicts of interest.

Please verify that you understand you may be removed from this role via the Representative Removal proposal type in the Operating Manual : Yes

Please verify that you understand KYC will be required to receive Council rewards at the end of Season 6: Yes

Please verify that you are able to commit ~20 hours / week to reviewing grant applications and other Council operations: Yes

3 Likes