[REJECTED] Contract Secure Revenue (CSR) Mission Request

Delegate Mission Request Summary:

Option A: Research on Implementing CSR with Optimism Sequencer
Conduct in-depth research to explore the technical aspects and feasibility of integrating Canto’s Contract Secured Revenue (CSR) directly with the Optimism Sequencer, providing valuable insights to inform future development decisions.

Option B: Research CSR System with OP Stack Using OP Tokens
Investigate the integration of a CSR system with the OP Stack, leveraging OP tokens for compensation, with a focus on analyzing tokenomics, advantages, and challenges to contribute to the conceptual framework for a decentralized compensation system. This research must be 100% independent of the sequencer.

Option C: Actual Implementation of Option B
Implement a functional prototype or proof of concept to demonstrate the practical integration of CSR with the OP Stack, utilizing OP tokens for compensation, showcasing the viability of the proposed solution within an 8-week timeframe. Must include NFT claimed by deployer address to stack multiple revenues in 1.

S5 Intent Please list the Intent your Request aligns with here: Intent 1: Progress towards technical decentralization

Proposing Delegate: Gonna.eth

Proposal Tier: Option A and B Ember, Option C Fledgling

Baseline grant amount: Depends on the application option.

A. 50.000 OP approved by builders (locked)
B. 50.000 OP approved by builders (locked)
C. 150.000 OP (100.000 OP for experimental distribution, needs growth committee approval). 50.000 OP approved by builders (locked)

Should this Foundation Mission be fulfilled by one or multiple applicants: Options a and b multiple. Option C one

Submit by: To be set by Grants Council

Selection by: To be set by Grants Council

Start date: If applicable

Completion date: 6 months top

Specification

How will this Delegate Mission Request help accomplish the above Intent?

Option A: Research on How to Implement CSR Directly with Optimism Sequencer
This mission is essential for achieving the intent by providing a deep dive into the technical feasibility and challenges of integrating Contract Secured ETH Revenue (CSR) directly with the Optimism Sequencer. The research insights will serve as a foundation for informed decision-making, contributing to the technical decentralization of the system.

Option B: Research of CSR System with OP Stack Where Compensation is Done with OP Tokens
This research initiative is aligned with the intent by exploring the integration of a CSR system with the OP Stack, utilizing OP tokens for compensation. The findings will contribute valuable insights into the potential benefits and challenges of connecting CSR with OP tokens, thus advancing the conceptual framework for a decentralized compensation system.

Option C: Actual Implementation of Option B
The practical implementation of Option B aligns directly with the intent by demonstrating the viability of integrating CSR with the OP Stack. By utilizing OP tokens for compensation in a working model, this option contributes tangible proof of concept, showcasing progress towards technical decentralization. The prototype serves as a practical step forward in realizing the decentralized compensation system outlined in Option B’s research. And a possible tool for future RetroPGF.

Please explain alignment with the relevant Intent:

The overall intent is to advance technical decentralization, and each component of this Delegate Mission Request contributes significantly:

• Option A: The research on implementing CSR directly with the Optimism Sequencer enhances technical understanding, fostering decentralization by exploring direct integration possibilities.
  • Option B: Researching CSR with the OP Stack and OP tokens aligns with the intent by investigating decentralized compensation mechanisms, contributing to the broader conceptual framework.
  • Option C: The actual implementation of Option B provides a tangible demonstration, showcasing progress towards technical decentralization by integrating CSR with the OP Stack using OP tokens.

What is required to execute this Delegate Mission Request?

• Option A:

• Conduct in-depth analysis of the Optimism Sequencer architecture.
    • Identify modifications or enhancements for CSR integration.
    • Document research findings and recommendations.
  • Option B:

• Analyze the OP Stack and relevant components.
    • Explore tokenomics for integrating OP tokens into the CSR system.
    • Document research findings, including advantages and challenges.
  • Option C:

• Code and develop based on research from Option B.
    • Deploy a prototype showcasing CSR with OP tokens.
    • Document the implementation process and provide a codebase.

Please list responsibilities and/or expected deliverables:

• Option A:

• The researcher is responsible for analyzing Optimism Sequencer architecture.
    • Delivery of a detailed research report with identified modifications for CSR integration.
  • Option B:

• The analyst is responsible for OP Stack analysis and tokenomics exploration.
    • Delivery of a comprehensive research report outlining integration possibilities.
  • Option C:

• Developer responsible for coding based on Option B’s idea.
    • Deployment of a prototype showcasing CSR with OP tokens.
    • Documentation of the implementation process and codebase.

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

• Option A:

• Evaluate the depth and clarity of insights provided in the research report.
    • Consider the applicability of the findings to future development decisions.
  • Option B:

• Assess the richness of information in the research report.
    • Consider how well the findings inform the conceptual framework for a decentralized compensation system.
  • Option C:

• Measure the functionality and effectiveness of the deployed prototype.
    • Gather feedback from badgeholders and the community on the feasibility and potential of the implemented solution.

Have you engaged a Grant-as-a-service provider for this Mission Request?

No

Has anyone other than the Proposing Delegate contributed to this Mission Request?

I consulted Kelvin Ficher, Kethic, and CSR fi team to understand the benefits of CSR and if it was possible to implement it in optimism.

7 Likes

I’d say its worth considering Mode Network in this proposal, given that they already have their dev mainnet live. My understanding is that a lot of the CSR infrastructure is happening off-chain for now.

While CSR does have some obvious benefits, there are a number of things that make CSR effectively act as a “developer tax” on all transactions running through the chain. There are also questions about gas efficiency.

My personal belief is that we should leave CSR to other chains in the Superchain, not Optimism, at least until we see how those experiments run on the other chains. Although I am open to changing my mind on this.

4 Likes

I think the experiment by Mode is going great.
They can apply for this mission once it is approved to provide a report fro their learnings from doing and other research that the team is already doing.

If the same team receive a grant via mission it will also support Intent 2.

:+1:

2 Likes

I really like CSR as system to retroactively, scratch that, actively, scratch that, passively fund Public Goods and I would love to see it on the OP stack.

To @Michael’s point… the sooner other OP Stack chains can run diverse experiments with it, the sooner we can see the tradeoffs to assess if it should be implemented on Optimism in the future.

@brichis delegate this is a Mission I would like to see passing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I believe that in the end a portion of RetroPGF could be distributed this way.

1 Like

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

3 Likes

As a top 100 Optimism delegate, i believe this is ready to move to voting.

1 Like

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

1 Like

I struggle to see if this is an Intent 1 or if it should go to Intent 2 (growth) to get the 100k OP approved for distribution. Feedback is appreciated.

Intent #1 seems most appropriate to me!

1 Like

1 Like

I like the direction here, I think the proposed mission could use some simplification. Realistically I think there are two tasks here that add clear value:

1. Researching CSR implementations to understand how they behave, what impact they have, how people feel about them, etc.
  2. Executing a CSR round manually to better understand the mechanics of CSR. By “manually” I mean without changing any OP Stack code, just use analytics to figure out the correct split.

Generally, before any CSR rounds actually get implemented I’d love to see (1) above get done in detail. CSR is a big meme but I haven’t seen any long-form analysis of its actual impact. Would be highly supportive of a mission request that focuses entirely on (1). I could also be supportive of (2) but would rather see (1) get done first.

Basically, before any work happens on adding CSR to the OP Stack, the Collective should be very confident that CSR is something worth experimenting with.

2 Likes

Agree, part of the research should be applying different CSR rules to Season 4 transactions and analyze the best way to proceed.

Also agree with the manual implementation (probably Approved by Citizens), I never wanted to modify the OP stack but rather give the Citizens a way to lower RFG vote analysis by giving applicants an option to go either CSR or RFG.

Shouldn’t we make both Option A and Option B here having an implementation, even if just test one as deliverable?

Research alone sounds a bit vague.

I really like this proposal.

Question for you, @kelvin: It sounds like your suggestion is to start with research and a kind of manual trial run on OP Mainnet to gauge interest and benefit.

My instinct on this is that it’s unlikely to make sense on OP Mainnet, but that it could be useful to build out as a kind of module that other OP Stack chains might activate. This leads me to supporting moving a bit faster and building a prototype, even without the diligence on its usefulness for OP Mainnet.

Does this go against the vision for the Superchain in some way? Or can you share more about your reasoning for the approach you suggested?

1 Like

Honestly my main reasoning for the suggested approach was to maximize for simplicity. Modifying the OP Stack to support CSR natively is a large task that requires lots of things be carefully implemented + audited (depending on how the changes are made). Building a tool that assesses CSR splits by indexing a chain without modifying the chain itself is much easier to implement and doesn’t carry the risk of introducing critical bugs to client code. I’d ideally start there, see if CSR has the intended impact, then work on a native OP Stack integration if the mechanism is proven to be effective.

2 Likes

Hello,

1 Like

The Developer Advisory Board has reviewed this Delegate Mission Request, and voted on its acceptance or rejection. The vote results are as follows:

ACCEPT: 0 votes
REJECT: 6 votes
ABSTAIN: 0 votes

therefore, the Developer Advisory Board rejects this delegate mission request.

The Developer Advisory Board likes to encourage experimentation, but we view CSR as not meaningfully improving technical decentralization (Intent #1). We view a CSR module as an interesting experiment, but feel there are more appropriate avenues to seek funding for that experiment.

We thank the proposer for putting this together.

1 Like

Looking at the process now, it would be convenient if this approval were to occur earlier, to avoid burdening the delegates with extra work. Bearing in mind that many approvals are last minute

@lavande

4 Likes