[READY TO VOTE] Superchain Accounts

The following is a sponsored mission request:

Superchain Accounts: Accelerating meaningful participation in the Superchain Ecosystem.

Delegate Mission Request Summary:
To further enhance meaningful participation across OP Chains, we propose to develop Superchain Accounts, a Superchain native-smart accounts that leverage account abstraction features to enable OP chain users to earn Superchain Points for active on-chain participation, improve their Superchain Rank, and evolve their NFTs. Higher ranks would offer recognition and perks, such as access to Weekly Superchain Raffles and voting power in a snapshot strategy.

S5 Intent Please list the Intent your Request aligns with here: Intent 3 - Improve the Consumer Experience

Proposing Delegate: OPMichael.eth

Proposal Tier: Ember Tier

Baseline grant amount: 40K OP

Should this Foundation Mission be fulfilled by one or multiple applicants: One

Submit by: To be set by Grants Council

Selection by: To be set by Grants Council

Start date: February 2024

Completion date: June 30th, 2024

Specification
Superchain Accounts are Superchain native-smart accounts that leverage account abstraction features that enable OP chain users to earn Superchain Points for active on-chain participation, improve their Superchain Rank, and evolve their NFTs.

The Superchain Accounts aim to serve as a user’s primary hub for Superchain activity, as it pulls together their progress across OP chains and rewards their participation. The solution should include an adopted, ideally modular, smart account standard that enables account creation and recovery, gas abstraction, and transaction bundling to allow for a seamless user experience for users. The solution should also enable on-chain data from at least three OP chains to be pulled into the Superchain Account and issue evolving Badges based on non-transferable Superchain Points that can be earned based on specified on-chain activity. Finally, the solution should include an evolving Superchain Rank that grants users access to additional perks. The mission includes an initial campaign period of at least 4 weeks, during which some OP incentives will be introduced to award active participation, which should be coordinated by the Mission recipient.

Account User Journey
As an OP Mainnet, Base, PGN user or other OP Chain user, I can create a Superchain Account on OP Mainnet and claim evolving badges and Superchain Points according to my on-chain account history on these networks. Claiming Badges and Superchain Points will be smooth and free due to the gas and signature abstraction functions enabled by Safe Protocol.

Based on my Superchain Points, I can increase my Superchain Rank, an evolving NFT that grants voting power in a snapshot strategy and the right to claim weekly raffle tickets in the Superchain Raffle.

Below is a lo-fi mock of how Superchain Accounts could look like; a detailed prototype should be produced at the end of the Design phase.

How will this Delegate Mission Request help accomplish the above Intent?
Improving the Consumer Experience is all about creating utility. Adding more meaning to on-chain transactions increases their utility and, as a result, increases transaction volume and user retention.

• Creating Smart Accounts that measure on-chain participation, incentivizes users to merge their potentially multiple EOA into one account (to increase their level), reducing the friction Sybil creates.
  • Increasing user activity and retention across OP Chains by rewarding meaningful on-chain activity with claimable rewards.
  • Introducing Smart Accounts in a simple yet engaging fashion makes more users and developers aware of the benefits of Smart Accounts.
  • Through the campaigns, non-DeFi activities can be measured and rewarded across OP Chains.

What is required to execute this Delegate Mission Request?
To develop and launch Superchain Accounts, the following milestone need to be completed:

• Phase 1 | Design (~4 weeks): Finalize the technical specification and design of Superchain Accounts.
    Deliverables: Solution document and Prototype.
  • Phase 2 | Development (~7 weeks): Develop the required smart contracts, UI components, and documentation, and run various tests.
    Deliverables: Test deployment of Superchain Accounts.
  • Phase 3 | Deployment (~3 weeks): Launch the final product after testing and updates.
    Deliverables: Live deployment of Superchain Accounts on Optimism Mainnet with accomplishments fetched from OP Mainnet, Base, and potentially other chains in the Superchain.
  • Phase 4 | Program Phase (~4 weeks): Conduct a 1-month-long campaign with weekly raffles to accelerate meaningful participation.
    Deliverables: Campaign plan at the start and results published at the end.
  • Phase 5 | Reporting and Iteration (~2 weeks): Complete the Superchain Accounts progress report to be shared with the Optimism Collective and host stakeholder interviews to ideate the following features of Superchain Accounts.
    Deliverables: Superchain Accounts Report with insights and future suggestions published.

How should the Token House measure progress towards this Mission?
The Token House should measure progress toward this mission by tracking the completion of each defined milestone within the proposed timeline. Monthly progress reports should be shared on the OP forum to showcase progress.

Additionally, the Token House can evaluate the quality of the design/prototype, code (which should be open-source), and the execution of the campaigns.

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

A post-mission report should be published, that will cover the following elements that aid badgeholders in evaluating our impact:

• User and Transaction Metrics: Insights in the number of Superchain Accounts created, accomplishment badges claimed, number of transactions rewarded, and insights into the transaction volume and retention of Superchain Account users.
  • Feedback and Community Response: Summary of gathered community and badgeholder feedback and responses.
  • Season 5 Learnings: The mission recipients learn from building in Season 5.
  • Future Iterations: Suggestions for the next steps for Superchain Accounts based on the insights from the report.

Have you engaged a Grant-as-a-service provider for this Mission Request?
No

Has anyone other than the Proposing Delegate contributed to this Mission Request? If so, who, and what parts of this application did they contribute to?
Yes, this is a sponsored mission request originally proposed by @SuperchainEco

Edit: Removed design requirement for PGN, and added potential for other chains integration. It will be up to the team that applies for the grant.

11 Likes

Thanks for submitting the Mission request @Michael :red_circle:

Following the announced shutdown of PGN network, we propose this initial version only focuses on Optimism and Base transactions to ensure relevancy of Accomplishment Badges. A potential feature iteration should include all OP chains, although this would be too much effort for an initial version.

Looking forward to stakeholder input!

4 Likes

Great proposal @Michael, particularly in the current climate where the prevailing trend in encouraging engagement with a dApp/protocol involves the accumulation of points (i.e. EigenLayer). This strategy has garnered significant attention, as individuals are increasingly motivated by the potential of these points leading to future airdrops. You have my full support in this endeavor.

5 Likes

Excited to see this Mission being discussed! I intend to apply for the Mission if passed and just submitted the SafeDAO proposal to co-fund the development of Superchain Accounts! Looking forward to further feedback from Delegates, and hope to continue building.

4 Likes

Hi everyone! I am an employee of OP Labs and speaking on my own behalf.

Very excited about this opportunity. We know from prior user research that app developers often choose which L2 to deploy on based on usage and could see this as a way to help guide users through their app discovery process.

One question I have is how (if at all) this works with existing discovery platforms like Rabbithole, Galxe, or Layer3?

6 Likes

I love this direction and feels like a step in the right direction for user’s to interact with the Superchain.

There’s a lot of moving parts to the request, but I’m curious if you see this as more of a single application where users are able to go to with their existing EOAs or a true Smart Account that they’ll be able to take with them to conduct their transactions? @SuperchainEco

With the way the rewards are outlined, it seems like we want to be able to capture both the EOA transactions as well as the Smart Account ones, but just wanted to clarify the vision.

6 Likes

Hey @zainbacchus - I’m not sure if I fully understand what element you would like more clarity on, but will try to expand on the comparison between the general reward platforms vs a Superchain ecosystem native account. .

Current platforms like Rabbithole and Galxy are “general reward platforms”. They offer hundreds of quests from multiple networks and reward users for activities on their platform. All elements on the platform are made to have users complete as many quests as possible; for example, the leaderboard showcases your rank based on quests completed on the platforms. As a result, they drive a high volume of completions of often simple tasks completed by people who want to earn any point or value.

What we imagine with Superchain Accounts is building an “Ecosystem Participation Protocol” that centers all elements around having users participate in on-chain activity in the Superchain ecosystem. The Superchain Accounts become more valuable as you participate in more and deeper activities, incentivizing recurring user usage and depth. Through the evolving Badges, Superchain Points, and associated Superchain Rank, we gain an overview of the Superchain participants by activity.

If implemented correctly and developed further, the Superchain Accounts can become the primary measure to understand once “skin-in-the-game” in the Superchain Ecosystem and be used for coordination and governance.

4 Likes

Hi @JBass,

Glad to hear you’re excited about the potential.

Because of the many moving pieces, we imagine the first version to function as a single application that allows the user to merge the on-chain progress of their EOA wallets into the dApp to level-up and participate. This means that the initial dApp would only focus on EOA transactions, as the Superchain Account itself would not be used outside of the dApp.

However, as you noted well, the vision definitely is to turn the Superchain Account itself into a general Smart Account that can be used across the Superchain and benefit from it’s perks.

After building the first version and hopefully gaining significant traction, we would start scoping out a second iteration that expands across the Superchain.

4 Likes

Thank you this proposal.

1. meaningful on-chain activity

how would you define this ? what constitute as meaningful ?

2. evolve their NFTs
    Could you please provide a brief explanation of how this will unfold?

cc @SuperchainEco

2 Likes

Who gets to decide what the badges are or what sorts of activities merit some signal of accomplishment?

1 Like

Hi @OPUser,

1. Currently, we consider the following activities net positive for the growth and health of the Superchain because they increase activity, generate fees, supports governance or promotes cross OP chain activity:
  • Number of transactions on OP Chains
  • Number of weeks since first transaction
  • Number of days / week active on-chain
  • Holding an amount of (TBD) OP tokens for a (TBD) timeframe
  • Holding an amount of (TBD) ETH tokens for a (TBD) timeframe
  • Holding an amount of (TBD) stables for a (TBD) timeframe
  • Holding an amount of (TBD) NFTs for a (TBD) timeframe
  • Social activity on Farcaster
  • Address is an OP delegate
  • Address is an OP Citizen
  • Donations made on Gitcoin
  • Donations received on Gitcoin
  • Delegating your tokens for a (TBD) timeframe
  • Receiving OP tokens from the official RPGF or Grants addresses: We see a lot of potential in using curated OP addresses as curators.
  • Number of swaps over x value on OP Chains
  • Number of bridge transaction over x value between OP Chains: Currently this would be done through e.g. Hop, however we hope

Some notes
Most of these parameters have been used previously for airdrops (arguably for good reasons). However, one of the main differences with Superchain Accounts is that it incentivizes merging multiple EOA wallets into a single account, measures progress continuously, and promotes habitual activity. Over time, we can improve the structure and setup to optimize even more for native activity and long-term contributions across OP chains.

Our current thinking is to have the minimum amount range between 25-100 USD and the timeframe to be 1 week to 1 month, but we’re eager for input on these parameters.

We would love your input on which of those activities you would consider the most meaningful, and if there are any parameters you would add, please share!

2 Likes

Ideally, different stakeholders would give input during the design stage, translating it into the first set of badges and activities.

We created an initial list produced by our team in the comment above based on the conversation we had with users and builders last year. However, we’re super open to additional input. In case you have more thoughts, please share them :red_circle:

Our current thinking is to create a small questionnaire with a combination of qualitative and quantitative questions and select ~20 OP stakeholders from different groups, e.g., 6 Citizens, 4 Delegates, 6 Users, and 4 Builders, to grasp their perspective and narrow down to the most meaningful activity currently.

In our view, further details on how to select the initial badges and activities would be part of a mission application.

5 Likes

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

2 Likes

Positive news! SafeDAO delegates have just signaled readiness for the SafeDAO proposal to support the development of Superchain Accounts. I hope this Mission request can receive the support needed to submit for a vote.

3 Likes

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

5 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

The Grants Council has opened early submissions as an Indication of Interest for this mission request here

For your application to be considered, the Mission request must pass the Token House vote on February 14th. Early submissions will not be considered if a Mission Request is not approved on the 14th.

2 Likes

Hi @Gonna.eth,

We tried to submit our application following the template but are unable to publish or save draft due to the following error popping up: Input do not match the template.

We suspect it has something to do with the following question, as it is as a must complete question and the description doesn’t match the input field (see screenshot below).

Would you be able to take a look at it and advise is on how to proceed? :red_circle:

If the answer is yes, you need to include the information, if the answer is no, you can type NO

The idea is for applicants to commit to their answers and do not leave anything empty.