[READY TO VOTE] Incentivize Projects to Integrate the Farcaster Social Graph

Delegate Mission Request Summary:

This mission request seeks to fund projects that enhance Superchain apps by using the social graph of Farcaster, the sufficiently decentralized social media protocol built on Optimism with over 50,000 users.

S5 Intent: 3 ā€” Improve the consumer experience

Proposing Delegate: Layer3

Proposal Tier: Fledgling Tier

Baseline grant amount: 300,000 OP

The funding should be given to multiple projects with unique ideas on how to implement the social graph on their apps

Should this Foundation Mission be fulfilled by one or multiple applicants: Multiple

Submit by: To be set by Grants Council

Selection by: To be set by Grants Council

Start date: To be set by applicant

Completion date: To be set by applicant

Specification

How will this Delegate Mission Request help accomplish the above Intent?

Going onchain is best experienced with friends. Unfortunately, modern day user experience can often times feel like a single-player game. By incorporating the Farcaster Social Graph on more projects, we incentivize users of those projects to join Farcaster, deepening and widening Optimismā€™s social graph and improving the consumer experience.

Examples:

• Build trust in transactions by surfacing social network connections when paying users
    • Example: When I enter a userā€™s address to send them USDC, I am told if I ā€˜followā€™ them via my social graph
    • This improves the consumer experience via a form of trust, because I am able to verify who I am sending money to
  • Integrate social discovery on an onchain platform
    • Example: An NFT platform could integrate the Farcaster social graph and display to a user ā€œ5 people you follow own this NFTā€.
    • This improves the consumer experience by telling me what others are doing, which is a valuable way of driving more transactions
  • Develop a ā€œFarcaster Toolkitā€ to allow users to create lists based on customizable inputs
    • Example: Build a front end where users go to a page and filter for farcaster users that follow limes.eth, are over 1 year old, and have an active badge. With that list I can drop custom NFTā€™s to those users
    • This improves the consumer experience by providing an easy way to collect social data
  • Provide matchmaking services based on who a user interacts with
    • Example: An onchain game can opt for a multiplayer experience that places them with first and second degree connections on Farcaster
    • Example: Games could create leaderboards that shows a userā€™s score compared against the people they follow on Farcaster
    • This improves the consumer experience by pairing users with people in their social circles

What is required to execute this Delegate Mission Request?

In order to accomplish the goals set forth above, the project(s) should have:

• An integration of Farcaster social data, such as follows, posts, reactions, and replies.
  • Post transactions to the Superchain.
  • Drive increased Superchain usage by leveraging social data.

Please list responsibilities and/or expected deliverables:

The goals of the teams applying for this grant should be:

• Launch a live project or feature deployed on the Superchain that uses Farcaster data.
  • Demonstrate the traction it received after launching via Dune Dashboards.
  • Open source the data collection mechanism for other teams to integrate.

How should the Token House measure progress towards this Mission?

• Usability and functionality of their social graph information, users should be able to see insights into their social graph outside of Farcaster
  • In depth key product updates posted publicly in the Optimism Farcaster Channel
  • Execution and completion of experimental milestones as per proposed timelines.

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

• Total number of transactions completed by users with Farcaster profiles.
  • Volume of commercial activity (e.g., minting NFTs) from Farcaster users.
  • Quality and novelty of the Social Graph integration

Have you engaged a Grant-as-a-service provider for this Mission Request? No

Has anyone other than the Proposing Delegate contributed to this Mission Request? Yes. The founder of supercast.xyz, woj.eth is the coauthor of this proposal

19 Likes

Hi, I am the coauthor of this proposal.

Happy to see it live, I see a ton of potential in Farcaster as the default social platform for Optimism Collective and the Superchain users.

Our goal is to support Farcaster projects that can bring a unique crypto experience to Optimism and we are very excited to listen to the Collective feedback.

7 Likes

Updating comment to reflect this Mission Request does not specify teams to fulfill!

3 Likes

Itā€™s meant to be a mission request. It doesnā€™t specify any teams that should be eligible, neither proposes any specific projects to be built.

The core idea is to fund projects that enhance Optimism user experience with Farcaster social data.

4 Likes

Hey @lavande, sorry if the the post isnā€™t clear, but the mission request is for projects that integrate the open source Farcaster social graph into their projects, not Farcaster itself.

For some ideas of projects that could apply, see the examples here:

4 Likes

@lavande additional context:

• neither limes or me have any stake in farcaster protocol
  • farcaster is deployed on Optimism mainnet and there is a big intersection between farcaster users and zora / base / optimism users (https://dune.com/pixelhack/farcaster)
  • my project (https://www.supercast.xyz/) is a farcaster client, but itā€™s fully excluded from this mission request (if this is successful, supercast will make a separate mission application)

both of us just believe that this is something that can benefit the Optimism Collective and we are open for any feedback regarding the proposal

6 Likes

Iā€™m excited about this proposal. Full disclosure my fund Scalar invested in Farcaster and Iā€™m currently full-time building in the Farcaster ecosystem. I donā€™t believe this creates an issue for me being 1 of 4 delegates helping to move the proposal to a vote, I will just abstain from the vote itself due to a potential conflict of interest.

I am an Optimism delegate [Delegate Commitments - #37 by linda] with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

7 Likes

Using the Farcaster social graph to improve the overall user experience is an exciting idea and something we believe has great potential.

We are an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

4 Likes

Iā€™m an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

4 Likes

I am one of the Synthetix Ambassadors, and a Optimism Badgeholder. I am an Optimism delegate [Delegate Commitments - #65 by mastermojo ] with sufficient voting power, and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

4 Likes

I actually think this would be better as an experiments grant. Not because I donā€™t like this ā€“ in fact, I love it and think it absolutely should be funded.

But if you can assemble Farcaster as a team to apply for this, thereā€™s potentially an avenue for a sweeter deal on this ā€“ stay tuned, hopefully will get back with something concrete soon.

6 Likes

This should be Farcaster applying for a Growth grant where they distribute OP to builders/users on their ecosystem tbh. As it is now applicants will get 12 months locked OP

5 Likes

@jackanorak @Gonna.eth appreciate your feedback!

what would be recommended best steps in your opinion?

happy to pass it to the core team and coordinate with them

Hey @limes.eth, I just noted the question How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission? was omitted.

In the previous one How should the Token House measure progress towards this Mission? you have set the metrics for the impact after the project has finished:

• Total number of transactions completed by users with Farcaster profiles.
  • Volume of commercial activity (e.g., minting NFTs) from Farcaster users.
  • Quality and novelty of the Social Graph integration

Can you update the Mission Request to include what activities the applicants must complete to achieve that impact and how the progress before the project is completed should be measured?** Maybe some milestones on GitHub with activities defined and a tentative timeframe to deliver each?

Stay Optimistic! :red_circle::sparkles:

2 Likes

Thanks for the note, Iā€™ve updated this section of the post

1 Like

Itā€™s a little bit unfortunate that this Mission Request is focusing solely on Farcaster. Most (probably all) of the examples you have provided could be accomplished with Lens as well. And actually, projects like Airstack can combine both protocols (+ ENS, ERC-20s, POAPs,ā€¦) and match users,ā€¦
I thought it was great to have a more protocol agnostic approach to combine social graphs on the Superchain.

1 Like

I strongly agree with @cpoetter . Lens is a very valid option, which by some measures is bigger (roughly double total users) and more established (by total integrations). Iā€™ve used both, and I think farcaster has a better community and less spam. But why pick between them?

While there may be some benefit to incentivising social features, there is no benefit to making optimism become siloed into one social graph. Especially when it will cost 300k OP.

It would be biased to only fund integrations that use farcaster, and very bad for optimism if lens (or another protocol) ends up creating a larger and more widely adopted/open social graph. It would make optimism become more closed off, narrow, and isolated.

In its current form, this is more like farcaster applying for optimismā€™s money to help farcaster grow.

re: Airstack
Love the Airstack team and what they are building. If the mission request is voted in, I would encourage all the teams applying to evaluate using Airstack to accomplish their proposals.

re: Lens
Farcaster contracts post data to OP Mainnet and Lens posts to Polygon, Incorporating Lens feels out of scope for the purpose of Optimism mission requests.

Given Farcaster is built on OP Mainnet and more registrations means more revenue for the Optimism sequencer, Farcasterā€™s success is Optimismā€™s success, no?

1 Like

First of all, Iā€™m excited to see this bottom-up approach to building for others. Love your thinking here. Helping Farcaster succeed is a positive sum game for the Superchain ecosystem. Great work @limes.eth & @woj.eth!

Agreeing with @jackanorak and @Gonna.eth. If the Farcaster team is up for it, it could be beneficial to turn this mission request into a grant. The team has shown great work in incentivizing positive ecosystem growth - would be interesting to equip them with the capital for a directed push. If they donā€™t have the capacity - boom, letā€™s go with the Mission.

The discussion about Farcaster vs other social graphs makes sense.
As @cpoetter mentioned, Airstack is a great example of combining different social graphs. I also like Yup! Iā€™m not able to fully form the idea around it yet but I see value in broadening the overlap (or bridging the gap?) between these different social graphs & networks. Maybe thereā€™s something in there.

Overall I believe this is a very thorough mission request. I like how itā€™s set up to be open for all kinds of implementations and invites for inspiration and action. Iā€™d be up to vouch for it to go to vote but Iā€™m also curious what comes out of coordinating with the Farcaster team.

1 Like