[READY TO VOTE] Decentralized rollup-as-a-service

Delegate Mission Request Summary:

To accomplish the long-term vision of the superchain spanning thousands of rollup chains, we need to make it as easy as possible to deploy and operate new rollups. We propose the creation of a decentralized Rollup-as-a-Service (RaaS) network (or, at minimum, an open-source RaaS as a step toward a decentralized one) to help make this vision a rzality. Compared to existing RaaS providers — which have moats and lock-ins — the network would standardize the feature set and democratize the provider role, and enable easily switching between providers.

S5 Intent

Intent 1: Progress toward technical decentralization

Proposing Delegate

Jack Anorak

Proposal Tier

Fledgling

Baseline Grant Amount

100k OP (Approximately 4 people for one year at current prices, though prices may vary so a more conservative approach might be beneficial.)

Should this Foundation Mission be fulfilled by one or multiple applicants

One, but should ideally be a pluralistic group.

Submit by

To be set by Grants Council

Selection by

To be set by Grants Council

Start Date

[If applicable]

Completion Date

August 1, 2024

How will this Delegate Mission Request help accomplish the above Intent?

The long-term future of the superchain will comprise hundreds or even thousands of OP Stack rollups. To help this future come to pass, it’s important to make it as easy as possible to deploy and operate new rollups. The north star goal is to make it as easy to deploy a rollup as it is to deploy a smart contract today.

We propose the creation of a decentralized on-chain RaaS network where users could request the deployment and operation of a new rollup, and providers could fulfill these requests. This network would have standardized features, allowing easy migration between providers and enabling anyone to become an infra provider with an open-source stack. Considering the magnitude of the step toward full decentralization, this Mission Request will also entertain not fully decentralized but otherwise open-source solutions to lay a foundation for fully decentralized solutions later on.

What is required to execute this Delegate Mission Request?

The work involves building the on-chain components of the network, as well as improving the standard stack. The expected deliverable is a functional network that meets the outlined objectives and a “plug-and-play” stack for providers to offer rollup services.

The stack should include all the necessary devops features for steady and stable operation, including monitoring, alerting, and automated restarts.

How should the Token House measure progress towards this Mission?

• Update upon completion of planning
  • Periodic updates on progress toward implementation and blockers
  • Eventual release announcements

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

• Stability of the stack in operating a rollup under high load.
  • Number of users or organizations deploying or expressing interest in deploying a rollup on the network.
  • Number of enlisted providers.

Have you engaged a Grant-as-a-service provider for this Mission Request?

No.

Has anyone other than the Proposing Delegate contributed to this Mission Request?

The draft for this proposal was created by @norswap

12 Likes

Hey there! I wanted to clarify that although I suggested this, I do not intend to apply for it (or only as part of a team spearheaded by someone else).

I would love to help & advise whoever tackles this, however!

I also believe roll-op, the open source devops tool for deploying OP stack chains that I’ve been working on (funded by OP Governance) would be the perfect basis for the provider stack here!

5 Likes

This is a mission I would like to get funded.

CC: my delegate @brichis

3 Likes

This is a great idea! I think any way to lower the costs for new projects to launch a Superchain is time well spent. I think it would be helpful to do a survey or something to see what features Superchains care most about. This could also be a good way to add value to people paying to be a Superchain

3 Likes

Very supportive of this mission. Getting to a fully decentralized RaaS might be quite difficult in practice, perhaps a good starting point would be a high-quality fully open-source RaaS. Once the tooling for this stuff is out there it becomes much easier to decentralize.

3 Likes

Makes total sense. I’ll ease up on the scope to include this.

1 Like

I am an Optimism delegate [Agora - OP Voter] with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

Btw dont forgot infra, block explorers, oracles, all the bs thats not quite core stack but still a requirement. Would be dope to consider Scry into the flow by providers since its designed for this very use case, on the fly oracle deployment for arbitrary networks. But even if not, this proposal still is important for the core stack.

I think this is already quite well defined. Will approve.

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote

This is a great mission and I’m strongly in favor, but Aug 1st seems like a pretty short timeframe for shipping it. I also think the budget might be a bit low, depending on the size of the team that works on it.

appreciate the perspective - what would you suggest for timeframe and budget?

As a top 100 delegate I believe this proposal is ready to proceed to a vote. Agora - OP Voter

1 Like

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

cc. @Cotabe

1 Like

As a OP Developer advisory council member I do believe this proposal is good but it’s goal of creating a fully decentralized RaaS in just one year seems quite unrealistic.

Would generally vote yes on this proposal but I for the sake of feasibility I suggest this proposal reduce its scope towards the less grand, but still extremely valuable goal of creating a good open-source RaaS infrastructure that enables users to easily switch and provides most of the base desired features.

2 Likes

Yes, please! I’m an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

1 Like

The Grants Council has opened early submissions as an Indication of Interest for this mission request here

For your application to be considered, the Mission request must pass the Token House vote on February 14th. Early submissions will not be considered if a Mission Request is not approved on the 14th.

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote

1 Like

Love to see this, I’d be happy to see a more concrete split of responsibilities between whatever team builds this and OP Labs, who’s already doing a really good job on this.

I’m an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal should move to a vote.

1 Like

Love the idea.

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

The Developer Advisory Board has reviewed this Delegate Mission Request, and voted on its acceptance or rejection. The vote results are as follows:

ACCEPT: 6 votes
REJECT: 0 votes
ABSTAIN: 0 votes

therefore, the Developer Advisory Board accepts this delegate mission request.

The Developer Advisory Board views this as a clear step toward technical decentralization and is looking forward to seeing applications towards this DMR.

We thank the proposer for putting this together.

2 Likes

We intend to submit an application to build an Open Sourced RaaS. Is k8s operator for op stack the best tool for the job?