[DRAFT] Play2Learn: Interactive Governance Game Mission Request

Delegate Mission Request Summary:

An Interactive governance game which makes understanding governance simple and fun for newbies, thus increasing accessibility of governance to new set of learners

S5 Intent: Intent 4: Improve governance accessibility

Proposing Delegate: DAOStewards

Proposal Tier: Fledgling Tier

Baseline grant amount: 49,000 OP

Should this Foundation Mission be fulfilled by one or multiple applicants: multiple

Submit by: To be set by Grants Council

Selection by: To be set by Grants Council

Start date: Asap

Completion date: 30/09/2024

Specification

How will this Delegate Mission Request help accomplish the above Intent?

The mission proposes making an interactive game that teaches governance concepts and practices of Optimism DAO to newbies. It aligns with intent 4 by:

• Simulating various facets of OP Governance as modular lessons and practice sessions.
  • Educating users about Optimism DAO’s vision, values, and objectives in progressive difficulty
  • Showcasing Optimism DAO’s achievements, challenges, and opportunities in design and data integration.
  • Fostering community, collaboration, and fun in gamification and interaction elements.

Please explain alignment with the relevant Intent

There are over a billion gamers, but less than a 100k governors in the legacy world. Duolingo is one of the largest community of gamification incentivized learners that web2 has produced. If games are designed well, the natural drive of humans to participate in playing games can be moulded into productive outcomes. This mission channels the natural drive of many humans to play online games and steers this drive into a productive use case for the Optimism DAO. Even if 1% of the current gamers try this app, we will be able to reach a large diverse global audience who is usually online and internet native to participate in the collective.

What is required to execute this Delegate Mission Request?

• Conduct research on the target audience, their needs, preferences, and motivations for learning about governance.
  • Develop a curriculum and learning objectives for each module, ensuring alignment with the Optimism DAO’s vision, values, and goals.
  • Create engaging and interactive content for each lesson, using multimedia elements such as audio, video, animations, and graphics.
  • Implement gamification elements such as points, levels, badges, leaderboards, and rewards to enhance user engagement and retention.
  • Design and test practice sessions that simulate governance scenarios which were previously encountered by the Optimism Governance, providing feedback and guidance to users.
  • Evaluate the effectiveness and impact of the game, using metrics such as user satisfaction, completion rates, learning outcomes, and behaviour change.

Please list responsibilities and/or expected deliverables

• A web or mobile app with gamification elements such as points, levels, badges, leaderboards, and rewards
  • Develop a user interface that is intuitive, user-friendly, and accessible, following the best practices of UX design.
  • The app must include practice sessions that simulate governance scenarios which were previously encountered by the Optimism Governance
  • Establish a connection between the game and the actual governance processes within the Optimism ecosystem, allowing users to apply their learned skills and knowledge directly to the Optimism DAO.

How should the Token House measure progress towards this Mission?

Measures of progress:

• The number and completion rate of users who enroll in and finish the game, which can indicate the level of interest and engagement in learning about governance.
  • The average score and feedback of users who complete the game, which can reflect the level of satisfaction and learning outcomes of the game.
  • The number and quality of governance proposals or sandbox experiments that are created by users who complete the game, which can demonstrate the level of application and transfer of learned skills and knowledge.
  • The number and diversity of users who join the Optimism DAO and participate in the Token House after completing the game, which can show the level of impact and influence of the game on the Optimism ecosystem.

Expected completion dates:

• Enrolling 10,000 users by the end of the year
  • The game should attract at least 100 users to join the Optimism DAO and participate in the Token House by the end of December 2024.

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

• The number of users who complete the game and the average completion time.
  • The user satisfaction and feedback ratings on the game’s content, design, and usability.
  • The improvement in user knowledge and confidence on governance concepts, as measured by pre- and post-game quizzes or surveys.
  • The number of users who participate in actual governance proposals or sandbox environments within the Optimism ecosystem after playing the game.
  • The quality and impact of the proposals or sandbox projects that the users create or contribute to, as evaluated by the Citizens’ House badgeholders.

Have you engaged a Grant-as-a-service provider for this Mission Request?

DAOStewards helps groups inside BanklessDAO with their grant applications. This service is not offered to any individual or group outside the DAO.

Has anyone other than the Proposing Delegate contributed to this Mission Request?

No

Note:

The details of the game and including implementation strategy have been kept vague on purpose to allow builders to express their full creativity while designing this game.

11 Likes

Hey @jengajojo The mission request template has a few more questions you should add and answer.

Reference Link here

missing questions:

• Please explain alignment with the relevant Intent
  • Please list responsibilities and/or expected deliverables
  • Have you engaged a Grant-as-a-service provider for this Mission Request?
  • If so, please disclose the details of this arrangement, to the extent possible.
  • Has anyone other than the Proposing Delegate contributed to this Mission Request? If so, who, and what parts of this application did they contribute to?

cheers!

3 Likes

Thanks for the reminder @Gonna.eth I have updated the post to reflect these changes.

3 Likes

I like the concept, although I think the idea is a bit vague and not very clear…
Is your idea to create a game that helps you learn or an educational plattform that gamifies the experience?
Both could be interesting ideas, but they are fundamentally different and I think having clarity on this is important

1 Like

Wow! I think that this has enormous potential. I would however think that for people more interested in the outcome of understanding the real world use-case of governance, at least as it pertains to blockchain, and less so, picking up a new game, it should be “light” or if it contains a lot of content that doesn’t directly impact the users comprehension, it might be that they get caught up in the gameplay. So lessons should be of reasonable length and those elements that can be avoided. My only other final thought on this would be providing an option to “skip” factually unimportant parts would be good in my opinion. My reasoning for thinking it would be beneficial is as a person who identifies as neurodivergent, I find that it can hard to put together information if it doesn’t seem clear that it correlates. Being able to skip unimportant data sets helps me keep everything that needs to go together in my brain, together. Like a memory chunk.

If my ideas have already been addressed, please disregard and thank you for you time!

2 Likes

I agree that Gamifying Learning about Governance, is probably one of the best ways to improve governance accesability.

However, I believe this proposal would benefit from having mulitple applicants since unlike DeFi where there are several centralization vectors like liquidity, different learning platform may reach a larger audience & achieve better results for the intetnt.

In a future round, the Optimism Collective may double down on those approaches that prove to be more effective.

3 Likes

My thought was to create a game with learning as its goal.

4 Likes

I like the idea of gamified experience to improve governance percentages

what would like to know is do you plan some quizzes as part of gaming, as referenced with Duolingo, to provide as proof for learning outcome

4 Likes

Gamification is usually a really useful factor when learning new concepts, so in general I really like this mission request.

However, I think the amount requested is too high. There are platforms like EdApp with paid options that allow you to create fully gamified experiences/courses for a fraction of the cost.

Also, another point to keep in mind is that given the rapid iteration of Optimism’s governance model, the game information could become outdated in a short time. There should be a minimum commitment to keep the platform updated for X amount of time.

2 Likes

I find certain similarities with this proposal (without the game part):

I think you would have to evaluate the amount of content that is generated to attract people to governance and determine if it is having the expected result. Also the DAO has incentives to attract new players to participate. I’m not entirely sure if a game is necessary, although I could be wrong.

2 Likes

The concept is appealing; however, I believe the proposed budget is somewhat excessive.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @0xDonPepe What do you suggest the budget should be and why?

2 Likes

I’d recommend a leaner budget of <50,000 OP. Why? Well, the project’s key is education, and there’s a lot of existing tech and tools we can use to build this without starting from scratch (i.e. Gametize/EdApp/Badgeville). We’d still deliver a top-notch, engaging game, but without the hefty price tag. Plus, partnering with tech or educational groups could give us more bang for our buck.

3 Likes

Where’s the evidence that programs of this nature are actually effective for encouraging more governance participation?

Feel like we’ve already funded a few of these like Optimism Governance | Bankless Academy and it’s not really clear what we have to show for them

4 Likes

The budget for this proposal is excessive and though I like the idea of interactive games, we haven’t seen the intended impact achieved from these types of initiatives so I will not be giving this mission my approval.

Thank you for the feedback @0xDonPepe @jackanorak @katie

The proposal has now been updated with this suggestion.

The difference between what the collective has funded before vs this request is the gamification nature of this mission. Optimism Governance | Bankless Academy is an educational course that does not include these elements

A great way to illustrate my point with a gamification first approach is how duolingo has created a global community of learners by putting gamification elements described above into the core of their product. Check out this video for further reference Luis von Ahn: How to make learning as addictive as social media | TED Talk

1 Like

As a research and education organization, this is a mission we appreciate and could help contribute towards.

Agree with prior points on budget potentially being excessive, but could see a significant budget justified if:

A) Increased magnitude of reach/target enrollment/DAO activity conversion (1K → 10K+ enrolled)
B) Had several entities contributing to build to this mission to ultimately create a higher quality product

Assuming A+B, we will approve this mission in favor of furthering a high quality gamified education portal, in optimistic spirits that the Optimism collective banding together could make a great product.

i respect this but “it’s gamified” isn’t really a compelling pitch here – there’s no real hypothesis behind this being what governance actually needs for participation. I’m not even sure why it’s a requirement if this is ostensibly something led by user research.

gamification works when people have a particular interest in doing something but have difficulty keeping up a habit, like languages, exercise, etc. there’s no real explanation for what this is solving for here

Appreciate the constructive feedback @AdvantageBlockchain I have updated the proposal with the changes your have requested

Overall I agreed with that proposal but am not sure of the exact details of the gamification.

Is that something like voting gamification of Nouns DAO?

Can you specify what kind of gamification of involvement for Op collective?