[DRAFT] Governance Accessibility Index Mission Request

Delegate Mission Request Summary:

Develop a comprehensive index evaluating the accessibility of governance structures, similar to how credit ratings agencies assess financial health.

S5 Intent: Intent 4: Improve governance accessibility

Proposing Delegate: DAOStewards

Proposal Tier: Fledgling Tier

Baseline grant amount: 20,000 OP

Should this Foundation Mission be fulfilled by one or multiple applicants: up to 3

Submit by: To be set by Grants Council

Selection by: To be set by Grants Council

Start date: Asap

Completion date: 30/04/2024

Specification

How will this Delegate Mission Request help accomplish the above Intent?

This Request will help accomplish Intent 4 by developing a comprehensive index that evaluates the accessibility of governance resources, process and structures. The development of this methodology can be inspired by how credit ratings agencies assess financial health. By creating such an index, it will be easier to identify areas where governance can be improved and thus make it more accessible to a wider audience. The index will be designed to be easily understood by a diverse group of people, easily updated as governance structures change, and easily accessible to everyone.

Such an index will also assist the general crypto ecosystem to measure its relative governance accessibility as compared to optimism and could possibly encourage DAOs to improve themselves on this general arc.

Please explain alignment with the relevant Intent

By providing a quantitative metric for governance accessibility the collective can objectively track and measure progress towards making governance structures more accessible to everyone.

What is required to execute this Delegate Mission Request?

• Assess various facets of Optimism governance including but not limited to documentation, processes and structures.
  • Develop a comprehensive index that evaluates the accessibility of each facet and its impact on governance in general and specifically on delegation and voting supply
  • Ensure that the index is designed to be easily understood by a diverse group of people.
  • Ensure that the index is designed to be easily updated as governance structures change.
  • Ensure that the index is designed to be easily accessible to everyone.

Please list responsibilities and/or expected deliverables

• A report outlining a comprehensive index that evaluates the accessibility of each facet of Optimism governance and its impact on governance in general and specifically on delegation and voting supply.
  • The index should be designed to be easily understood by a diverse group of people, easily updated as governance structures change, and easily accessible to everyone.
  • The report must also explain the methodologies used in the analysis and how the conclusions were drawn

How should the Token House measure progress towards this Mission?

• Publish a report underlining the methodology and steps used to create the accessibility index
  • Rate different facets of optimism governance and provide specific improvement suggestions

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

• Quantitative Improvement in Governance Accessibility as measured by the index
  • Positive feedback in the form of NPS or other equivalent metric on Optimism Governance

Have you engaged a Grant-as-a-service provider for this Mission Request?
DAOStewards helps groups inside BanklessDAO with their grant applications. This service is not offered to any individual or group outside the DAO.

Has anyone other than the Proposing Delegate contributed to this Mission Request?
No

7 Likes

Hi @jengajojo and DAOStewards team,

Thanks for drafting this Mission Request. As a newly joined DAO member, we would love to see a quantitative measurement of the achievements toward the goal of each intent.

Since the index is a “living” metric and needs to be updated from time to time and potentially improved as credit ratings are done, this request would need a particular party to continuously work on it. What do you think about that?

3 Likes

Welcome @Tane Iterative improvement is a must for anything these days. The group who comes up with the index is free to apply for future grants or seeks other means of funding themselves to improve their products. The scope of this mission is limited to the first version of such a index.

4 Likes

Hi Tane, 0xR (Ruben) here, A little intro, Currently finalizing my sociology Master and I have about 5 years of DAO, governance, and web3 research experience (references upon request). Let me know if there is a need for an intro call. I just have a fresh forum account and am not a Fledgling tier OP contributor. But as this mission is right up my aisle I was wondering if I could be included as an individual in a collab-style work relation. If not are Individuals also possible to apply for this mission, and is accessibility left undefined on purpose? @jengajojo

1 Like

Hey @0xR, if this mission is accepted you are free to apply as an individual

2 Likes

Hi @jengajojo, that’s great! Where can i see when missions are approved and when proposals can be submitted?

1 Like

To pass to vote this mission will need 4 approvals from the top 100 delegates. After that, it’ll go to a token house vote and if it passes you will be able to apply. You will have more news in 3 weeks mostly.

2 Likes

Hey @Gonna.eth , Thanks for clarifying! I was wondering where exactly I can see these proposals live is that Agora? or somewhere else?

1 Like

Soft approval (4 delegates) happens in the forum. Example

This is the index for all mission request

You can check the titles to know whats going to be moved to token house vote

If a mission request is soft approved you will see them in Agora by Feb 8th 19 GMT.

cheers

2 Likes

Alright, some more follow up questions;

• By being a delegate and replying to the proposal submitted with your stance in bold is considered a vote?
  • Who decides the timeline on rounds around submitting and voting on proposals?

Bless, 0xR

1 Like

You need to be one of the top 100 delegates

Optimism foundation.

You can check the FAQ page and we can continue there to avoid off topic here

2 Likes

It looks like this proposal is to get a rating for governance accessibility but doesn’t provide a solution if the accessibility score is low. I will not be giving this proposal but my approval but wishing you the best!

2 Likes

LXDAO is currently doing something similar, quantifying many DAO metrics so that it can judge the operation of a DAO overall.

1 Like

agreed with katie - won’t be providing support for this one. this seems like half of an actual solution.

Hey @jengajojo – just wanted to flag this as a proposal that still needs delegate approvals in order to move to a vote. If you are no longer interested in pursuing this proposal – please disregard this message. In order to see the delegates assigned to your proposal those can be found here. The deadline to provide feedback and approvals for Mission Requests is February 7th at 19:00

Cheers!

To me, there is not quite enough of a tangible deliverable in order to support. This goes along with my hesitance to support purely research focused missions. I’ll abstain from approval on this one.