Optimism University?

I want to begin a discussion about the possibility of the community creating something like an Optimism University, an online educational Hub for the ecosystem. The Hub could offer various types of Free training tools and courses for the next generation of builders, users, investors, etc.

Content mediums could range from a recorded class model like Coursera, to live seminars and “labs”, to manuals, articles and more and could perhaps be produced in part by key figures at various dapps and projects who are willing to impart their knowledge to those who could benefit from their expertise.

Funding could come from PGF, incentivizing people to share, support, mentor, build, and create. I feel that it’s important to keep education free so there are no barriers to knowledge.

Again, this is just a thought to get a conversation started.

25 Likes

I literally just made a post about this. Great minds?

4 Likes

Wow! What a coincidence! I love it!

Great idea but how do you find funding to run the Uni?

1 Like

Public goods funding? I’m not sure. Hoping to get people to come up with some good ideas.

1 Like

Education is always critical, and in this case, a great onboarding mechanism for new entrants to Optimism, Ethereum and blockchain in general.

My suggestion is to keep it light and low cost to begin with. Something as simple as a dedicated small Optimism team to create content for a YouTube Channel, a free Udemy courses, or ideally Coursera …or is there a decentralised Web3 platform?
That’s my two cents.

Overall, I support this Idea.

1 Like

Great idea! I think the exposure itself for creators to showcase tools and their knowledge would be beneficial enough for them to want to create.

2 Likes

Yep, get the projects involved to create content. That’s a good idea, on top of a good idea!

EDIT: Sorry about the duplicate Post. I wasn’t sure if I was replying to @Karlos7785 so I duplicated it. The first post is now deleted.

1 Like

I love this idea. Educate people about the protocol. Knowledge is power!!

1 Like

Great idea! It’s probably best to start out small as you say, and then it can grow into whatever form from there. Not sure about a decentralized web3 platform.

1 Like

Interesting. How would a Hub giving away free courses benefit the Optimism?

1 Like

To help train developers, creators, builders, investors, etc. than can all in turn contribute to innovation on Optimism. Basically we would be supporting and nurturing growth, knowledge, and the development of skills, with the side effects of innovation, appreciation, and trust. I can’t think of how that wouldn’t benefit Optimism even if some people used what they learned elsewhere. :grinning:

5 Likes

Hey we have something similar here: [DRAFT] [GF: Phase 1] EthernautDao (Dev Education)

We focus on developer education and we think it is important to coordinate efforts. Any feedback is welcome!

3 Likes

Our bottleneck now is how to identify and locate those contributors to give them the EXP token. We have a lot o them inside the DAO but we should reach out to other developer communities and coordinate efforts to bring everyone in!

1 Like

This is great. I also generally think that a university type system is always great for any ecosystem.

1 Like

I came from here:

As the Op of this link posted: we really need to bring no coiners to the community. Nobody thinks about those who are far from this technology and they have too much experience and value to share. I think we should keep thinking in how to give a step in this direction.

Great idea i like always good to learn!

1 Like

It would be great for some OP holders to share their knowledge being rewarded by some karma. It’s a matter of stopping thinking about individualism and being incentivized to make the collective stronger.

1 Like

Hello, revamping this thread I just wanted to let you know guys we are starting to give EXP tokens to those who create developer’s educational content. It’ll be nice to compile all this in one place and start some sort of university.

1 Like

It woul be important to have it in an easy to check place. This forum? A Wiki? Gitbook? Any idea?
Education about gobernance would be important too.