Grants Council Reviewer Nominations: Season 5

Grants Council Self-Nomination - Brichis

Council sub-committee: Growth

If you are a delegate, please provide the link to your delegate commitment: Optimism Agora

If you are a delegate, please indicate what % of votable supply is delegated to you:
.08% according to Curia

If you are a delegate, please indicate your voting participation rate in OP governance to date:
100% according to Curia

Please link to your voting history and any voting rationale you’ve shared:

Voting history

Voting rationale

Please outline any other contributions to the Optimism ecosystem to date:

• Badgeholder for RetroPGF 3

• govNERD

• Co-Founder of Ethereum México (RetroPGF 2 recipient and Alliance for a Mission Proposal in Season 4)

• Contributor for H.E.R. DAO LATAM Mission Proposal: I created a workshop about Optimism’s Governance for Beginners and conducted 1:1 calls with individuals to advise them on how to become delegates and/or contribute to Collective Governance.

• Moreover, I have been actively assisting numerous projects in their pursuit of Mission Proposals, Grants, RFPs, and RetroPGF. My support has been diverse in approach. For projects that I saw as aligned with the Season 4 Intents, I initiated personal contact and provided step-by-step guidance through the entire application process. In other instances, I conducted one-on-one calls to discuss the range of available options or addressed their queries regarding the distinctions between these options.

Do you have a technical background?

Although I don’t have a technical background, I bring a valuable set of skills to the table (mentioned below).

Have you previously served on a Token House Council or committee?

No, I would love for this to be the first time.

Please demonstrate any experience you believe is relevant to this role:

• In Season 4, I delved into the world of Optimism, actively supporting multiple projects with grant and mission applications. As Season 5 approaches, my commitment to the Grants Council remains strong, and I aim to expand my support to any project in need. I’ve already aided in +25 missions, grants, and RetroPGF applications, establishing a track record of tangible assistance and guidance.

• I leveraged every available platform, from podcasts to Twitter Spaces, to reach out to diverse communities and encourage their exploration of Optimism’s grant opportunities. For instance, I discussed Optimism’s potential with Criptonikas during a Twitter Spaces, which ultimately led them to apply for a Growth Grant.

• My journey in web3 began as a Community Manager, a role that honed my ability to translate technical content into easily understandable terms, as exemplified here. This ability bridging the gap between technical and non-technical audiences holds significant relevance in a grants-related capacity. In general, I approach communication with great care and thoughtfulness. I make a conscious effort to be precise and assertive in my written communications, a quality that I believe can be quite beneficial in this role.

• My bachelor’s degree in accounting has honed my ability to be efficient, organized, and systematic in my approach.

• Before venturing into the world of web3, my professional background centered on the restaurant industry. I held a range of roles, from operational positions such as hostessing to administrative responsibilities as Head of Human Resources. This multifaceted experience has finely tuned my soft skills, particularly patience and kindness, which I believe can greatly benefit the Grants Council. I have the ability to address the same question with a smile, even if it’s asked a hundred times.

• In addition, I consider myself an incredible networker, with the unique ability to identify connections that others might miss and foster synergies that enhance projects within the ecosystem. With these soft skills, I am confident that I can ensure that all individuals involved in the grants process have an exceptional experience, making them eager to stay engaged and inviting others to join.

Please demonstrate expertise relevant to your Council sub-committee:

During Season 4, I diligently attended the majority of Grants Council Office Hours, which afforded me an in-depth comprehension of Optimism’s diverse funding avenues, encompassing both Builders and Growth Grants. Specifically, I’m inclined towards Growth/Experiments as it resonates more closely with my values. My aspiration is to witness projects that not only expand the user base but also contribute solutions to the real-world challenges prevalent in our varied contexts.

Please describe your philosophy on what makes a good Governance Fund grant:

In my view, a commendable Governance Fund grant should embody several fundamental principles. Firstly, efficiency stands as a cornerstone – the ability to utilize assets judiciously to yield maximum impact is paramount.

Moreover, a well-defined strategy assumes utmost importance. A grantee should possess a clear, well-articulated vision of their objectives, demonstrating a profound understanding of how their project aligns with these goals. Such alignment should naturally extend to the broader objectives of Optimism, effectively supporting the Collective Intents.

Equally pivotal are measurability and achievability. Grants should incorporate quantifiable outcomes and realistic milestones, allowing for the meticulous tracking of progress.

What types of Mission Requests do you think will help achieve the Season 5 Intents?

• In Optimism, we find ourselves not only driven by the Collective’s vision and support for public good projects but also by the ever-present considerations towards decentralization and security. For Intent #1, I hold a desire to witness the emergence of additional proof systems and projects that pave the way for the decentralization of the sequencer. I advocate for initiatives that simultaneously bolster technical decentralization and enhance security for end-users.

• It’s worth noting that certain categories, like Hackathons, presented classification challenges in the previous season. However, these events serve as invaluable hubs for discovering and nurturing talented builders. I’ve observed growing interest from local communities in such opportunities, and I believe they hold the potential to significantly impact Intent #2.

• Initiatives centered around Account Abstraction and efforts aimed at enhancing web3 accessibility are of paramount importance. I would love to see Optimism close to enabling individuals to seamlessly engage with cryptocurrency without even realizing it.

• In the previous season, I noticed individuals eager to actively participate in governance. Therefore, for Intent #4, I hope to see innovative initiatives that lower the barriers to entry for those interested in engaging with Optimism Governance. Additionally, I would love to see missions that draw in communities from regions that may not see so much movement in previous seasons. It has been heartening to witness the emergence of active Mexican participants and alliances in Optimism, and I eagerly anticipate similar developments from other countries. Diversity of perspectives is of utmost importance, and we are on an exciting path towards further enriching the ecosystem.

Please disclose any anticipated conflicts of interest:

Currently, I am actively contributing to General Magic, where I collaborate closely with Griff Green, who has been instrumental in founding numerous Public Goods projects.

Additionally, I must disclose that I am a co-founder of Ethereum Mexico and maintain strong relationships with several Latin American projects. However, I am highly conscious of setting clear boundaries and consistently prioritize over-communicating any potential conflicts of interest.

Please verify that you agree to abide by the Code of Conduct: Yes

Please verify that you understand KYC will be required to receive Council rewards at the end of Season 5: Yes

Please verify that you are able to commit ~20 hours / week to reviewing grant applications and other Council operations: Yes

12 Likes