[FINAL] Improving Governance Accessibility through Praise and Contribution Based Attestations

We use praise in bDAO and Nación Bankless, so I think that the implementation of this proposal in more servers it’s enough motivation to get optimistic in people and in merit, super forward :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Grant request is reasonably high, but after ETHwaterloo and seeing how much attention chat there was, think it’s great for Optimism to be able to lean into this!

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power, and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote

5 Likes

This is an egregiously high ask for a product whose value add is still highly speculative. I’ll be voting against this one

1 Like

Hi delegates, thank you very much for your support in the first voting round. Here is a quick video with the latest updates and clarification of your concerns: video
If you have any questions, feel free to share that! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for adjusting the budget request. However, I still can’t get to a yes since the amount requested is too high for me. I still like the vision though and would have voted abstain had that been an option.

Hey folks, appreciate the thoughtful discussion on this one.

@lefterisjp @Griff in response to some of your earlier comments on this proposal: OP is a governance token. We discourage explicit discussion of the market price of OP on governance forums and in the Discord. Thank you for helping keep the project safe and focused on its goal to scale Ethereum :pray:

2 Likes

I am not sure I understand the comment here. I assume you are mistaking what we discussed about.

All these mission proposals are to be paid in this governance token. The price of which has to absolutely be taken into account when evaluating any proposal and when planning a proposal in order to see how much to ask for. Especially when there is an 1 year lockup involved.

5 Likes

To be honest, we think that the governance community’s contribution to administration and its success are directly tied, and we have a positive perspective on governance in which everyone may contribute. We all agree that governments should always interact with their communities. If you are a governance platform, you should be one that your community can easily access and use. In the next steps, please explain in detail how you intend to do this. As a result, the ITU Blockchain delegation team chose to vote on this proposal.

2 Likes

Thank you @itublockchain for stating such an important issue so clearly, and apologies for the delay.

By recognizing and rewarding contributions, we can encourage more community members to engage actively in administration. Moreover, when the community participates in weighting those rewards, it’s helping shape its own culture.
This approach aligns with the goal of making OP more accessible and easy to use for our community.

We look forward to implementing these steps and hope to count with your support in the future.

1 Like

By the way, I’m Pedro Parrachia, a long-term regen and Praise contributor. On behalf of the Praise team, I’ve created a new post as the official channel for updates and inquiries about our project to Improve Governance Accessibility through Praise and Contribution Based Attestations.

We will be providing regular updates on our progress, and we welcome your feedback and suggestions at every step of the way.

4 Likes

Hi @kristofer!

As Season 4 draws to a close this week, we’re so excited to see how you’ve executed on your Mission! Please post an update for the community here outlining the milestones you’ve met this Thursday (9/20) by 19:00 GMT. Please include links to any final work products as we’ll create a final roundup linking to all Mission deliverables.

We also encourage you to sign-up for RetroPGF Round 3. You’ll be able to describe the impact of your Mission when you sign-up: RetroPGF Round 3 Applications Are Open

Thanks again for being part of this experiment and helping us build the Collective :heart:

3 Likes

Gm! :sunny:
I am pleased to provide the update for all the milestones of our project.

For starters’, it’s crucial to reflect on our accomplishments against the goals we set out to achieve in our approved project plan.

What We Set Out to Do

• Map out the custom attestation needs of the Optimism community
  • Implement Praise in the Optimism community Discord
  • Build and integrate the attestation feature into the Praise Dashboard
  • Test and refine the attestation feature
  • Deploy the attestation feature on Praise
  • Organize a Retroactive Attestations Workshop
  • Issue Attestations

What We Did

• Successfully completed stakeholder engagement and integrated feedback into the project scope.
  • Integrated and actively used Praise in the Optimism community Discord.
  • Completed all stages of the attestation feature development process for the Praise Dashboard.
  • Refined the attestation feature, readying it for deployment.
  • Deployed the attestation feature on the live Praise Dashboard UI.
  • Scheduled a Retroactive Attestations Workshop for Sep 22nd.
  • Prepared for the issuance of a number of verifiable proofs of Praise.

How It Turned Out

1. The Praise Dashboard for Optimism is live, with active praise givers and praises sent. Praise Dashboard
  2. The Attestation Explorer is functional, though it’s not the final domain name and currently includes dummy praise attestations (real data starting this Friday, the 22nd. Attestation Explorer

Upcoming

1. “Feel the Love - Praise Quantification Live Session” is scheduled for tomorrow at 8pm CET / 6pm UTC on the Main Stage channel.
  2. Final presentation with attestation creation and explorer demos
4 Likes

Thanks for the update @parrachia! Please not that all Missions will be able to showcase their work tomorrow during a dedicated Mission demo day on September 28th, at 16:00 GMT on the Discord mainstage!

1 Like

Demo Day - Mission Proposal Edition September 28th 2023 - 4pm UTC

Show off your Season 4 Mission Proposal accomplishments and milestones:

• Each mission proposal will get 2 minutes to present
  • Summarize your mission proposal
  • List your milestones and the results of those milestones

Apply here - (Discord):

Include:
Presenter Discord Handle → must be in the Optimism Discord
Link to your mission proposal

@parrachia

3 Likes

Hi everyone!

From our last update, you’re already familiar with the milestones we’ve accomplished. Today, I want to dive deeper into the specifics, sharing a video detailing our progress and achievements.

Praise Within Optimism: A Recap

Praise has been operational in the Optimism Mission for just over two months. Our primary aim was to amplify governance accessibility by synergizing Praise with Ethereum Attestation Service. We set out to make the Optimism community more inclusive and welcoming and also to allow for a more diverse set of contributors to be eligible to become Optimism Citizens.

Praise: Capturing Community Contributions

Praise effectively captures or acknowledges contributions across platforms. It excels at recognizing contributions outside major platforms like GitHub or Discord. The goal is to leverage the insights gathered through Praise as a significant factor in the citizen selection process.

Attestations: On-Chain Representation

Attestations provide an on-chain representation of the wisdom acquired in Praise. In the citizens eligibility process, It’s essential to incorporate other sources too. Projects like Gitcoin Passport, Optimist Profiles, and Regen Score are examples of other projects we believe contribute valuable signals.

Deliverables

Optimism Praise Community

We’ve established an Optimism Praise community, with nearly 100 Praise users and at least 200 praises exchanged during this period. We’ve also formed a rewards working group responsible for quantifying Praise.

:link: https://optimism.givepraise.xyz

Citizen Attestations Explorer

An attestation explorer for Optimism focusing on attestations that are relevant for the OP Citizens eligibility process.

:link: https://citizen-attestations.xyz

Wrapping Up

Our journey with Praise and Attestations in the Optimism community has been fulfilling. We’re confident that as we continue building on this foundation, we’ll pave the way for a more inclusive and welcoming Optimism community.

Please share your thoughts, feedback, or questions!

Contact

For any queries or details:

4 Likes

I wanted to draw your attention to our recently published article that explores the concept of collective memory within decentralized communities, particularly focusing on the Optimism ecosystem. The piece is titled “Why OP Praise is like Gardening” and aims to be a quick guide to nurturing collective memory in the Optimism community with Praise.

We made sure to include an infographic and an OP Mirror NFT at the end of the article. For those pressed for time, it provides a quick summary for the 3 parts covered there.

I highly recommend giving it a read. You can find it here:

3 Likes

Great product, but it’s unfortunate that as key stakeholders, some contributors have not been involved in the discussion (do they believe this is a fair and effective reward system?). I (apologies, I’m just an ordinary person) believe that funding should be provided solely for project exploration rather than funding application system experiments, which seems more reasonable.

1 Like

Hi! Thanks for the feedback. Right now Praise is not a rewards system for OP. It could be one, after thorough discussion, like you mentioned.

3 Likes

It’s a pleasure to announce we’ve just crossed a remarkable milestone in our journey with Praise – the completion of our very first Praise quantification, entirely executed by the OP community!

What Does This Achievement Mean?

This milestone represents a significant step in the adoption and integration of the Praise platform within our OP community. It signifies that our community members have not only embraced Praise but have also started to independently navigating and utilizing its features to the fullest.

The successful self-management of this quantification process by the OP community indicates a deep understanding and alignment with the core principles of both Praise and Optimism. It shows that the community is actively engaged, recognizing and appreciating each other’s contributions in an increasingly decentralized and self-sufficient manner.

The Value Added Through This Achievement:

1. Community Empowerment: This milestone empowers the community, as members take the lead in acknowledging and quantifying the contributions of their peers.
  2. Cultural Integration: The successful adoption of Praise reflects how its ethos of gratitude and recognition has become intertwined with our community culture.
  3. Increased Engagement and Participation: Seeing the community take charge of the Praise process is likely to encourage even more active participation and engagement from members, further strengthening our community bonds.

Our Ongoing Support and Vision for the Future:

While this is a meaningful achievement, our journey doesn’t stop here. We’ll continue to offer our support and guidance to ensure that the adoption of Praise not only grows, but also evolves in ways that best suit our community’s needs. We’ll be keeping a close eye on the process, ready to step in with assistance or advice whenever needed.

Thank You!

5 Likes