[FINAL] Economic Co-design of Gas Fees for the OP Stack

Hey @linda - I’d like to hear some extra feedback from you, apart from what you feel is a high request amount in $OP, what else made you feel like abstaining from voting on this proposal?

It’s actually really just the high amount requested. I think it’s an interesting proposal but I don’t feel that strongly about it to vote for 125K OP (~$150k at today’s price) which is a high amount. I got a second opinion from my colleague in case I was missing something and it was an abstain for me vs a no had there been a choice in case others were passionate about it.

Understood, that seems to be the biggest feedback on this proposal.

To reiterate some of the rationale, I think the misunderstanding is that we’re not getting that $150k worth of OP upfront or even after completing the project, it is a full year lock-up until any of the team would receive the OP tokens. It’s a big risk.

In a year who knows what could happen to the OP token, especially since it has no utility at the moment outside of governance. From what we’ve all seen in crypto, in a year the token could go 10x or it could go to zero, these things happen.

Already in the last 3 months OP has lost around 40% of its dollar value. Even if we could consider a slower decline in price post token launch, the math doesn’t look promising. Our team simply doesn’t have the deep pockets to write off the risk.

If the format of the missions could have offered a better portion of the funds liquid either at project start or completion we could have offered this mission proposal at a much lower cost.

That being said, if OP sustains or increases in value when it’s finally delivered then we’re able to expand on delivering on our operational mission of realigning incentives around public goods. The Commons Stack has been around since 2019 and we simply aren’t going to stop supporting ecosystem growth after this mission.

To summarize,

We’re not in a position financially to risk not getting enough funding to pay off our costs of building this mission proposal in the event of a (conservative) worst case scenario regarding the value of OP.

Knocking or otherwise discussing the token value isn’t really the way to justify the value of what you’re bringing

1 Like

Great day, team. To be honest, it’s nice to have a dashboard idea among the proposals we’re examining. Creating a variable dashboard where data can be displayed on one site improves the governance experience for users. We enjoy Optimism’s current user experience, but the Agora platform, for example, needs more exposure. The merging of all services beyond their appearance on the dashboard will give the user a lot of simplicity in the governance ecosystem. The idea that the MVP version of the dashboard you will prepare will be presented to the user and tried beforehand is also very well thought out. As the ITU Blockchain Delegation team, we support casting a vote on this proposal from Intent #4. Best of luck in advance.