[DRAFT] Mission Proposal for Optimism Collective Governance Advancement in Brazil

Delegate Mission Request Summary

In pursuit of Intent 4 - Enhance accessibility to governance, this proposal objective is to elevate Optimism Collective’s influence in Brazil. The vision is to foster engagement through a series of impactful actions, such as events (in-person and online), educational content and gamification, specifically tailored to the Brazilian crypto market. The mission encompasses onboarding and educational efforts about the Optimism Collective with a focus on optimizing governance practices in a place where Optimism is not that well known yet.

Proposing Delegate: SEED Latam delegation team

Proposal Tier: Ember Tier

Baseline grant amount: 50,000 OP

Mission fulfillment by: Multiple

Submit by: [To be determined by the Grants Council]

Selection by: [To be determined by the Grants Council]

Start date: n/a

Completion date: End of the year.

Specification

How will this Delegate Mission Request help accomplish the above Intent?

Strategic Alignment with Intent 4: Enhance accessibility to Governance

Brazil holds significant potential regarding crypto. For instance, the country secured the 9th place in Chainalysis’ 2023 Global Crypto Adoption, leading the crypto adoption in Latam. Not only that but it is estimated that 16 million people, constituting 7.8% of Brazil’s total population, currently own cryptocurrency, as data from 2022.

With a massive population of 215 million people, Brazil presents an unparalleled opportunity for outreach. The unique linguistic isolation, as the sole Portuguese-speaking country in Latam, underscores the need for tailored initiatives. To date, Optimism-supported events have yet to unfold in Brazil.

This already reflects in the Brazilian crypto community, as other scalability solutions are gaining more interest from the community than Optimism:

This Mission Proposal seeks to change this situation by fostering engagement through a series of impactful actions in Brazil. These actions, both in-person and online, will be specifically tailored to the local crypto market, potentially elevating Optimism onboarding and adoption in Brazil to unprecedented levels. The goal is to nurture the local web3 community and culture while promoting collective governance in a territory never explored by the Collective.

The proposal extends beyond merely hosting events, onboarding new users, and educating the community. It also aims to spotlight web3 projects, cultivate a culture of exploration, and establish Optimism’s presence in a completely new country. The potential inherent in exploring a nation with a significant interest in crypto, flourishing local web3 communities, and a population exceeding 200 million individuals is immense.

Objectives include:

• Spotlight and encourage exploration of the Collective;
  • Onboard new users into the OP ecosystem;
  • Establish Optimism presence in Brazil;
  • Create tailored experiences to the local web3 community;

​​What is required to execute this Delegate Mission Request?

To ensure the success of these initiatives, organizers should present:

• Event Details: Location (IRL or virtual), date, and agenda.

• Development and execution of a robust engagement strategy (tailored to the event target audience)

• Detailed budget and expenses breakdown

• Conducting educational talks on Optimism Governance

• Clear Impact Metrics.

• Integration of gamification elements related to Optimism in each event, for instance:

• NFT and/or EAS - creating an onchain footprint to folks that attend the events;
    • Small tips in OP tokens to guide attendees into DeFi and onboard people onchain
  • Provision of Optimism-branded merchandise

• Post-Event Strategy:

• Ensuring a comprehensive evaluation and feedback loop, for example:

• Implementation of a feedback form for continuous improvement.
    • Submission of a detailed event report, including metrics for digital content, attendee feedback, and edited event photos.
    • Production of visual content about the event.

How should the Token House measure progress towards this Mission?

• Monthly updates with details about the organization and strategy before the events;
  • Successful delivering the events as scheduled;

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

• Total number of event attendees;
  • Number of unique NFTs/POAP minted during events;
  • Social media engagement metrics related to the events;
  • Coverage in newspapers and various communication channels;
  • In-depth feedback from participants;

Have you engaged a Grant-as-a-service provider for this Mission Request?

No.

Has anyone other than the Proposing Delegate contributed to this Mission Request?

Fully crafted by Modular Crypto Team.

7 Likes

We have many WEb3 Communities and IRL Spots available to make IRL events to share Optimism overview and advantages.
Modular Crypto is the #1 brazilian channel who can cover all execution of this proposal.

1 Like

at some point we need to actually critically evaluate the effectiveness and value of these regional initiatives. we’ve funded so many of these that by now we can decide whether they’re a legitimate use of resources

just now realizing that could’ve been a mission request – maybe it’s worth hitting up NumbaNerds @MSilb7 ?

5 Likes

Most of these localized initiatives are really good at selling the regional potential (population and chainanalysis stats), but lack the experience and presence to deliver desired results (reach and real adoption).

What good is translated content if it doesn’t have reach or achieve the goal of creating local adoption?

Using Optimism Español as an example:

*** 64 YouTube Subscribers**

• 15 videos

• 1 video has 56 views

• 15 videos have 20 or less views

• 1,251 followers on Twitter

• Most tweets have less than 20 people engaging

This mission proposal seems to be replicating the same playbook which can lead to the same lackluster results if the same caliber teams apply to it.

I would love to see these localized projects focus their efforts on the following:

• Creating local adoption by enabling p2p and onboarding commerce payments

• Onboarding non English speakers (not just hoping they one day find the content)

• Helping devs learn English so they can find work in the industry

It’s also crucial to evaluate the track record of teams applying.

2 Likes

I’ll do you one better - why not expand the scope of this to anywhere, not just brazil, and have the required rubric here reflect what you’re describing?

There should be a way to set up this mission request so it’s not so specific to just target brazil but not be so broad as to invite an unbearable number of applications. how to do this isn’t coming to me.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen the promised impact achieved from projects such as these that target specific regions or groups of people. I’m not supportive of this proposal.

3 Likes

yeah i agree with this entirely, to be honest. I have rarely been impressed with applications and stated outcomes of this class of projects. And it’s not really encouraging that someone came out here and said, instead of promoting a certain format of outreach, “we need to do something for Brazil” (which was, to my recollection, previously a grant application).

That said, I think (but am not entirely sure) that there’s an opportunity here for such projects to really put themselves through the ringer with showing prior outcomes and outlining clear paths to impact—though this will require some tailoring along the lines of what @Carlosjmelgar is proposing here. It’d be an interesting step forward.

1 Like

Hey @Joxes – just wanted to flag this as a proposal that still needs delegate approvals in order to move to a vote. If you are no longer interested in pursuing this proposal – please disregard this message. In order to see the delegates assigned to your proposal those can be found here. The deadline to provide feedback and approvals for Mission Requests is February 7th at 19:00

Cheers!

I love the idea of expanding Optimism impact in Brazil, BUT I do think these kinds of missions are better suited to have a broad criteria, and then to allow the region-specific teams to apply.

1 Like