Project Name: DAOhaus
Author Name: Sam Baurle and Spencer Graham, DAOhaus
I understand that I will be required to provide additional KYC information to the Optimism Foundation to receive this grant: Yes
L2 Recipient Address: eco.daohaus.eth
Grant category: Governance Fund Phase 1
Is this proposal applicable to a specific committee?
This proposal falls under the Infrastructure and Tooling Committee that at the time of writing the latest version of this proposal has already been elected.
DAOhaus provides purpose driven communities an open and free to use no-code platform for launching and managing their DAOs.
Similar to Optimism’s Citizens’ House, shares in a DAOhaus DAO are non-transferrable once issued. DAOhaus DAOs are primarily permissioned, meaning that in order to join one, an on-chain membership proposal must be submitted.
On-chain governance is important to DAOhaus as all DAO proposals execute on-chain. We see an opportunity for DAOhaus to benefit from Optimism’s lower cost of transacting, without taking any short-cuts on security.
DAOhaus offers a high degree of security & strong protections for minority shareholders through a feature called ragequit. Ragequit enables members to at any time burn their shares for a proportional claim of assets held in the DAO treasury.
DAOhaus also created the Yeeter to support funding public goods in a trust-minimized way (more on this later).
We believe Optimism does an excellent job of matching the cultural relevance of Ethereum and is approaching cultural legitimacy with Mainnet. Without saying too much, DAOhaus is thrilled to support the Optimistic Vision!
See DAOhaus x Optimism Demo Day!
- Website: https://daohaus.club/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/nowdaoit
- Discord: DAOhaus
- Forum: https://forum.daohaus.club/
- Please include all other relevant links below:
- Additional team member info (please link):
Please link to any previous projects the team has meaningfully contributed to:
Team Code Repos
This is most of the repos that DAOhaus currently maintains.
- HausDAO · GitHub
- GitHub - HausDAO/daohaus-monorepo
- GitHub - HausDAO/daohaus-website
- GitHub - HausDAO/Moloch2.5: Moloch 2.5 and Dao MInion Summoner
- GitHub - HausDAO/MinionSummonerV2
- GitHub - HausDAO/daohaus-supergraph
- GitHub - HausDAO/daohaus-app: long live pokemol
- GitHub - HausDAO/daohaus-boosts: Boost Subgraph
- GitHub - HausDAO/daohaus-stats
- GitHub - HausDAO/daohaus-yeeter-v2
- GitHub - HausDAO/Baal: Baal sets the season, and gives forth His voice from the clouds.
- GitHub - HausDAO/Molochv2.1: Moloch DAO v2 with multi-summoner capabilities, plus register function for metadata.
- GitHub - HausDAO/daohaus-shamans-subgraph
- GitHub - HausDAO/daohaus-rage
- GitHub - HausDAO/baal-docs
- GitHub - HausDAO/daohaus-poster-subgraph
- GitHub - HausDAO/daogroni-subgraph
- GitHub - HausDAO/daogroni-app
- GitHub - HausDAO/bolton-onboarder: Simple bolt on for onboarding into a safe
- GitHub - HausDAO/dao-books
- GitHub - HausDAO/erc-1155-subgraph: Indexes all ERC1155 transfer events
These are the GitHub accounts of DAOhaus’ team members
- jordanlesich (Jord) · GitHub
- skuhlmann (Sam Kuhlmann) · GitHub
- alexkeating (Alexander Keating) · GitHub
- 0xRowdy (Rowdy) · GitHub
- jonathanprozzi (Jonathan Prozzi) · GitHub
- earth2travis (earth2travis) · GitHub
- WagnerAndrew (Andrew Wagner) · GitHub
- arentweall · GitHub
- burleebau · GitHub
- oovg (Ven Gist) · GitHub
- slgraham (Spencer Graham) · GitHub
- scottrepreneur · GitHub
- UI369 (UI369) · GitHub
- brossetti1 (Brian Rossetti) · GitHub
- dekanbro (Dekan) · GitHub
- boilerrat · GitHub
- ipatka (Isaac Patka) · GitHub
- wswarren12 (Bill Warren) · GitHub
- Ro5s (Ross Campbell) · GitHub
- santteegt (Santiago Gonzalez Toral) · GitHub
Relevant Usage Metrics: (TVL, transactions, volume, unique addresses, etc.)
- Time since deployment: We deployed DAOhaus two years ago on August 2020.
- TVL: $416M in Total Value Flow
- Txs: 13k Proposals
- Volume: 100 DAOs
- Unique addresses: +10k members
Competitors, peers, or similar projects:
- Colony: https://colony.io/
- Aragon: https://aragon.org/
- Metropolis (previously know as Orca)): https://www.metropolis.space/ // https://twitter.com/OrcaProtocol // https://twitter.com/0xMetropolis
- DAOstack-Alchemy: https://daostack.io/
Is/will this project be open sourced? Yes
Optimism native?: No
Date of deployment/expected deployment on Optimism: We deployed to Optimism on April 7, 2022
Ecosystem Value Proposition
What is the problem statement this proposal hopes to solve for the Optimism ecosystem?
The problem we are trying to solve is to encourage the creation of DAOs with secure frameworks in the Optimism ecosystem. We believe DAOhaus can be a catalyst for communities within the Optimism ecosystem that would benefit from organizational models that are designed to protect their minorities.
The resulting combination of a DAO creation framework like ours, which is also a public good, and the vibrancy of the Optimism ecosystem is a clear opportunity to facilitate the creation of purpose-driven organizations.
In a nutshell, the proposal is to bring existing DAOs and facilitate the creation of new DAOs into Optimism.
How does your proposal offer a value proposition solving the above problem?
Our proposal is to request a grant that will allow us to fuel the incentive system necessary to foster the growth of the DAO ecosystem within Optimism.
Why will this solution be a source of growth for the Optimism ecosystem?
By distributing OP to DAOs created on Optimism, we open the floodgates for DAOs to use OP in a variety of ways e.g (Providing liquidity, incentivizing contributors, funding new projects, etc). The users we anticipate brining in from DAOhaus will be non-accretive, meaning they are distinct from the larger group of DeFi users on Optimism.
Has your project previously applied for an OP grant?
We have not applied to an OP grant. This would be our first time.
Did the project apply for or receive OP tokens through the Foundation Partners Fund?
Number of OP tokens requested: 350k
How much will your project match in co-incentives?
UberHaus is willing to match up to 1% of the HAUS token supply in the form of UberHaus shares for DAOs who demonstrate sufficient aligment with DAOhaus. The council will have the ultimate say over who is aligned and who is not.
Proposal for token distribution (under 1000 words):
- 80% of the OP tokens will be allocated to builder incentives. This includes but is not limited to:
- Supplying incentives such as grants and bounties for developers to build integrations for DAOhaus on Optimism
- Providing builders new to DAOhaus on Optimism with OP to build out and experiment with new dapps using DAOhaus’s code blocks and via the DAOhaus app
- Providing existing DAOs on DAOhaus grants to migrate or redeploy on Optimism
- 13% of the OP tokens will be allocated to subsidize the cost of marketing, operational teams, DevRel, and months of technical and community support required to ensure things run smoothly following the release of DAOhaus v3 built upon the Moloch v3 contracts at Optimism.
- The remaining 7% of the OP will be reserved to the DAOhaus team for deploying the Moloch v3 contracts to Optimism
Token distribution timeline
We expect the distribution of OP tokens to take place over 10 weeks, but in case of unforeseen events, we will add an extra 10 weeks to allow time to adjust. Any adjustments we deem necessary will be handled with full transparency including all stakeholders such as the DAOhaus community, Optimism and our meta-governors.
The time period in which OP tokens are going to be distributed will also depend on the amount of OP that is received as well as the level of activity that DAOs on Optimism demonstrate. The criteria by which we will measure DAO activity will not be superficial, as we want to avoid spammy activity, instead, we will incentivize builders to come and add value and create Bolt-ons or Boosts for DAOs on Optimism.
That is why we have a flexible schedule ranging from 10 to 20 weeks.
- Week 1-4: During the first few weeks we will define the communication about the DAOhaus user incentive program at Optimism. This includes planning, collateral production, and other communication efforts.
- Week 4-6: We will launch the incentive program for new DAOs who want to start with Optimism and for existing DAOs who want to migrate from other chains.We expect to onboard at least 10% of active DAOs using DAOhaus, and increase the percentage after we deploy Moloch V3.
- Week 6-10: The board selected to distribute the OP tokens received in this grant will evaluate the activity levels of the DAOs that opted for OP onboarding. We will distribute incentives according to activity and prepare a transparency report that will be made public upon completion.
Why will incentivized users and liquidity on Optimism remain after incentives dry up?
When a DAO is created, more often than not it stays on the chain it was created on, and the more active they become the more sticky they get. The council will be focused on distributing incentives to projects that demonstrate acitivty on Optimism and DAOhaus, therefore we believe liquidity will remain on Optimism even after incentives dry up.
How will the OP tokens be distributed?
To manage the OP received from Optimism, DAOhaus will create a council of stewards with members from Optimism, DAOhaus, and Wildfire.
The council will be responsible for distributing OP according to the process outlined by stewards of the council, based primarily out of activity on Optimism and DAOhaus.
The time period in which the council distributes tokens will be determined based on the amount of OP that is received as well as the level of activity that DAOs on Optimism demonstrate. That said, we forecast distributing OP over a 10-20 week period.