[DRAFT] Customer Research Mission Request

Delegate Mission Request Summary: This mission requests customer/market research of OP’s main customer: application builders. This research report would allow the Collective to make educated decisions on what to fund going forward to best attract new builders and support existing builders.

S5 Intent: Grow the Superchain

Proposing Delegate: Blockchain@USC

Proposal Tier: Ember Tier

Baseline grant amount: 10k (but open to feedback. I’m not really sure how much a research report should be commissioned for)

Should this Foundation Mission be fulfilled by one or multiple applicants: One

Submit by: To be set by Grants Council

Selection by: To be set by Grants Council

Start date: As soon as possible

Completion date: May 15 (end of post-Season 5 off-season)

Specification

How will this Delegate Mission Request help accomplish the above Intent?

• In order to grow the Superchain, we must have a deep understanding of our app builders, their needs, and their wants. We should know what attracts builders to deploy on one chain over the other, and what developers need in order to successfully attract their customers

What is required to execute this Delegate Mission Request?

• Fleshed out research proposal. To limit scope, subject of the research should be strictly dapp builders, as opposed to app-chain builders. The focus should also be on the business leaders of these projects, as opposed to the developers (sometimes the business leaders are developers, which is fine, but we should be doing research on what these projects need to thrive overall, as opposed to what developers need on a technical level).
  • Once the research proposal is fleshed out, methodologies and survey sample included, the data should be collected according to the methodologies.
  • Finally, the data should be compiled into a report detailing dapp project’s needs.

How should the Token House measure progress towards this Mission?

• In order to apply for the Mission, projects should describe their supposed research proposal, particularly methodology. Thus, by the time the grant is rewarded, the applying team should be ready to go.
  • Within the first two weeks, the proposal and methodology should be truly fleshed out and ready to collect data through.
  • The team should collect data from a robust sample of dapp project leaders in the following 4 weeks.
  • The team should spend the following 4 weeks making the report.

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

• The use of this report by delegates and grants providers in order to direct funding decisions should be viewed as success for this Mission. It’s hard for me to think of a specific metric that encompasses at this time.

Have you engaged a Grant-as-a-service provider for this Mission Request? No

Has anyone other than the Proposing Delegate contributed to this Mission Request? No

Note:

• I think this Request is in need of some fleshing out. I am highly open to critique/suggestions. Also, if a report like this already exists, then no need to duplicate work. Please link it and we can try to promote it so we can make informed decisions.
4 Likes

I would like to inquire whether what you are attempting as a mission request is equivalent to the report previously submitted Developer Report: Analysis of Open-Source Crypto Developers by Electric Capital

I would prefer to focus more on suggestions based on evidence to improve the current incentives established by the governance to attract more builders into Optimism.

I just skimmed through this report. It gives some metrics which mainly focuses on developer growth across different ecosystems, and overall developer trends, but it doesn’t go deeply into why these developers might choose one EVM chain or another, or if they are multi-chain, why they choose the set of chains that they do. These are the types of insights I think would be useful for the Collective (at least it would be useful for me) when creating Mission Requests, and evaluating proposals for the Collective.

Yes, this makes sense. If you don’t think this idea gets across in the request, feel free to suggest edits. Thank you!

Hey @blockchainatusc – just wanted to flag this as a proposal that still needs delegate approvals in order to move to a vote. If you are no longer interested in pursuing this proposal – please disregard this message. In order to see the delegates assigned to your proposal those can be found here. The deadline to provide feedback and approvals for Mission Requests is February 7th at 19:00

Cheers!

Overall I’m sympathetic towards funding more research, but in this case I’m not sure if we need a separate mission request. Any mission proposals addressing this topic can in my opinion apply for Builders Grant. However, any such research proposal should be much more specific in terms of methods used and planned deliverables to justify the value of the expected outcome.

1 Like

As I mentioned before, I am generally against grants for research reports because in practice I believe it is really hard to draw value from them even if they are good in theory.

For that reason I won’t be giving my approval on this one.

1 Like