Agora Updates & Feedback thread

Hey Charlie,

First of all, great job on Agora, overall the experience has been very pleasant as a voter!

I just wanted to share some of the feedback I shared on my delegate commitment thread. I understand some of my ideas are more related to metagovernance than for agora itself, but some points are still relevant imo (such as the delegate discovereability):

• The creation process for the Delegate Commitment page was enjoyable. I like how much easier it is to modify than the legacy version, and how it keeps track of voter stats.
  • Voting itself was also fairly painless, the interface is pretty, and I enjoy how easy it is to read the justifications on the page.
  • Finally, one big concern for me is the Delegates page. Currently, the only two filters are sorting by number of votes delegated and number of delegations (both giving similar results).

Because of this last point, discoverability of new Delegates has now gone significantly down. Most of the visible votes are delegates which have been here from Season 0, with the most ā€˜recentā€™ delegates being from a month after that.

Of course, all of these people are incredible and have earned their top spots, but I worry that with the current system we will be encouraging new people entering the collective to delegate to the top ~20 delegates, snowballing their voting power. This could mean not only a significantly higher burden on those individual delegates, but a more difficult fight for new Delegates to acquire visibility and power. Iā€™d love to discuss with others what ways we could avoid this centralisation, while also leading users to candidates to trustworthy and high-quality Delegates.

Some random ideas that come to mind:

• Allow delegates with more than x% supply to hide their delegation from results. This action could be rewarded in someway to encourage it on active delegates, or could be automatically enforced after a threshold is reached.
  • Introduce the option to filter by delegate age (only allow delegates that have voted for either more or less than x months)
  • Maybe allow citizen badgeholders to select ā€˜recommended delegatesā€™ that currently have low delegation, but might be worth highlighting. This is my favourite idea, as it gives a further tie to the bicameral system, makes the selections flexible, and allows some critical curation.

TL;DR - I would suggest adding some other delegate filters so itā€™s not only sorting by what is essentially two ways of showing the top delegates. Currently, if you do not actively know the delegate then itā€™s unlikely youā€™ll find them naturally using Agora.

2 Likes