Users who sold the initial OP airdrop should become ineligible for all future airdrops

I agree. Please also consider those transfer to CEX (binance, FTX, etc). There are no reason other than dumping the token by sending token to CEX.

I personally sold 50% (380OP) and delegated the rest.
But i agree on the intent, just be sure not to exclude someone because he contributes less than others.

I disagree it is not good for project we need more paper hands!

100% in agreement with this. Likely they will repeat this behaviour if eligible.

I agree with you, In my opinion real supporters of the project should hodl tokens to support Optimism

I totally agree, we need to reassure the project team that we support them and that selling AirDrop all at once deprives them of that support.

i agree
Dumpers are just as bad or worse than Sybils

Just to make sure my position is made crystal clear: I would not support a motion to exclude those who sold (any, or all) $OP from the first airdrop.

1 Like

I think that an intermediate solution can be found. For example, give a bonus to OP holders but also see if these addresses are still using Optimism Network. If a user is using a dapp on Optimism it is right that they take the airdrop.

I would exclude all those who have sold OP tokens and who have used the bridge by moving everything to Ethereum (and then to the exchange?).

Everyone seems to want witch hunts and cancel culture. Allow free economy to happen. Stop trying to cancel poor people. The only people who sold are people that needed the money.

This only hurts poor people, and all the people with a million OP to throw around donā€™t understand this. When you canā€™t afford to pay rent or get groceries, you donā€™t have a choice.

I know this is the normal in the United States, but this is international. You donā€™t have to make the rich richer and the poor poorer, and you donā€™t have to cancel everyone because they didnā€™t do what you wanted them to.

If noone was suppose to sell their OP then they could have done a vesting period like luna. ā€œYou made money and I lost because you soldā€ is what is going on here. Its like 5 year olds throwing a tantrum, and you would think there has never been an airdrop before in history.

Also of note, Uniswap airdropped to all users, including those with failed transactions that never even really used their platform. They have done just fine. If I want to sell and buy my tokens 20 times I will, and if I am punished for it Iā€™ll just go somewhere else that allows freedom. And many others will too, and you can micromanage a dwindling userbase that is overgoverned.

Isnā€™t CRYPTO about FREEDOM? Trying to break away from those trying to financially control us? It is for me.

4 Likes

Cobie has posted a very thoughtful and solid answer on why he thinks this shouldnā€™t be done here: Extended ineligibility for future airdrops - #58 by cobie

1 Like

I donā€™t think this is a good idea nor is it necessary. Future airdrops should be based on what happens going forward; for participating in governance and things that benefit the network. This just seems like a non-issue to me.

You shouldnā€™t be rewarded for not selling but being a bump on the log while someone else sold for reasons but still contributes is punished. Selling or hodling simply shouldnā€™t be a factor in future airdrops once provable on-chain participation via governance exists. At least not from the OP team.

1 Like

Iā€™m not really convinced that he addressed the key point from your Twitter thread, notably that:

I think confusion stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of what the airdrop is supposed to achieve.

This really is the key issue. Lots of the arguments from those thinking sellers shouldnā€™t miss out on the next airdrop seem to not be considering it in terms of the primary reason for the drop. Itā€™s not to egalitarianly give people money but rather the purpose is surely to get voting power into the hands of those likely to use it. This should be the main consideration. All of the reasons for selling that he lists are perfectly reasonable (I made the point about tax above), but they are things that the Optimism Collective shouldnā€™t be caring about in my opinion.

The only part of his reply that seems to address the choice from Optimismā€™s perspective, rather than from the airdrop recipientā€™s is the following, which does make a reasonable point:

There are clearly other ways than governance for users to benefit Optimism.

Iā€™m definitely against the idea of blacklisting addresses based on whether they sell or hold the token, but I do think there is value in making this one of the criteria in determining future airdrops, such as using it as a multiplier as suggested above (Users who sold the initial OP airdrop should become ineligible for all future airdrops - #34 by polynya) or as a binary criteria as per the 6 factors in airdrop 1. In Cobieā€™s example the User A should probably get some OP from using Optimism which should be another of the criteria. An additional User C who both used the rollup regularly and holds/delegates their tokens to someone who represents their values/opinions should get a larger 2nd airdrop than either of the first two.

3 Likes

I thought airdrops were used to create a good distribution of tokens. But I suppose fattening up a few whales and leaving most poor people out who sold is one way to do things too.

I guess no one that wasnā€™t included in the first airdrop can ever be eligible for any airdrop either or people who sold would just use a different wallet to avoid blacklisting.

Jeez, this proposal really just seems to benefit the people proposing it. Having thousands locked in value all over the optimism network means nothing, and you canā€™t sell any of your rewards, EVER, or you will be punished severely.

Soā€¦ now how is this supposed to bring NEW USERS to optimism? Isnā€™t that the goal? If they are ineligible for everythingā€¦ hmmm.

1 Like

The idea is great but not black and white, in fact we had the same issue with Moons and disscussed it for months until we came with this solution:

č™½ē„¶ęˆ‘äøå¤šļ¼Œä½†ę˜Æęˆ‘å¹¶äøę‰“ē®—å–ęŽ‰čæ™äŗ›opļ¼éžåøøåŒę„ä½ ēš„观ē‚¹ć€‚

Can not agree more. We have to remove them from being a member of OP Collective.

I think airdrop 2 must be focused on impact projects. Instead of looking at who to exclude, letā€™s condition the next airdrop to wallets deserving to be in by participation, public good focus, etc.

4 Likes

Canā€™t agree more! They did tasks only for free lunches. They donā€™t deserve other future airdrops.

Totally agree because the original intention of the airdrop is to reward everyone for using OP, but this part of the user has abandoned the entire community

1 Like