Security Council Member Nomination: Riley (jtriley.eth)

Please indicate if you are running to be the Council Lead or a Council Member:

Council Member

Does this nomination represent an individual or organization:

Individual

Candidate country of residence (or, if an entity, incorporation and principle place of business):

United States

Have you previously served on Optimism’s Security Council:

No

Have you previously served on any other Council or Board in the Collective:

No

Are you a representative of OP Labs:

No

Are you a representative of another OP Chain:

No

If you are a delegate, please provide the link to your delegate profile:

N/A

If you are a member of the Citizens’ House, please link to your most recent attestation here:

N/A

Please outline your contributions, and their impact, to the Optimism ecosystem to date:

Contributions are more toward EVM than explicitly Optimism, though the efforts benefit both.

Please demonstrate any non-Optimism experience you believe is relevant to this role:

I have previous experience with independent security audits, responsible bug disclosure, and cryptography.

If nominated, the mnemonic that produces the signing key will be generated on a hardware wallet for reasonably fast singing and the recovery phrase will be backed up as a 3 out of 6 Shamir Secret Sharing set, generated on a single use, airgapped raspberry pi, and the keys stored in a variety of distributed but reasonably accessible places. (Shamir code here.)

Please elaborate on your technical background, including your github handle (this will be used to calculate your github expertise score and will be added to your nomination before it goes to a vote by the Foundation):

3-4 years experience in software engineering, smart contract engineering, security audits; as full time (Superfluid, Fuel), on a contract basis, and through open source contributions.

Github:

Please elaborate on your experience with relevant member (or Lead) requirements:

Most of my experience is in smart contract engineering as well as security reviews. I’ve contributed to incident response efforts by using automated tooling to detect and find organizations with code susceptible to a critical compiler vulnerability, I’ve decompiled malicious contracts for exploit analysis, and I’ve found and responsibly disclosed a critical foundry vulnerability.

Please describe your philosophy on what makes a good Security Council member:

Security council is a sub-dao within the Optimism ecosystem; one that specializes in handling security incident response in a timely manner. Must haves include quick, clear, and collaborative communication abilities, technical expertise to assess incidents and respond, minimal conflicts of interest (and none undisclosed), contributes to reasonable geographic distribution, and generally aligned with the vision of Optimism.

Please disclose any anticipated conflicts of interest:

None, though should any come up in the future, they will be disclosed under this post.

Please verify that you understand you may be removed from this role via the Representative Removal proposal type in the Operating Manual:

Yes, understood

Please verify that you understand that election is subject to successful completion of a Foundation screen which may include KYC/AML, sanctions screening, and a requirement to sign a standard contract:

Yes

Please verify that you are able to commit ~5 active hours / month to fulfill the Member Responsibilities. Please note that there is an “on-call” aspect to this role that is not fully encompassed in the active hours estimate:

Yes

2 Likes

I’d personally like to see a greater record of participation within the OP community, but your stated credentials are worth allowing the collective to vote.

On behalf of Blockchain@USC:
We are an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and we believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

1 Like

Much appreciated. I’m hoping this can mark the start of my contributions specifically to Optimism :slight_smile:

I am an optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and support this nomination.

I believe jtriley would make an excellent security council member.

1 Like