[READY TO VOTE] Onramping Mission Request

I am sponsoring this Mission Request on behalf of @asoong

Mission Request: Onramping

Delegate Mission Request Summary:

We believe that alternative on-ramping powered by zero knowledge proofs and other cryptographic primitives will enable for a more seamless onboarding experience. One of the ways it can do that is by bridging existing payment platforms such as Venmo, Wise, Paylah, etc. Teams in the space have begun exploring possible integrations by proving attested payment data to smart contracts, allowing for non interactive, low fee, onboarding.

This mission funding calls for further exploration of other attested data sources and payment platforms for feasibility. Any that qualify should be integrated into the protocol and client. The protocol should be permissionless and can be integrated by developers looking to unlock ramping for their users through their wallets and applications. The mission request should also explore account abstraction integrations as part of our client to further facilitate efficient financial inclusion.

ZK primitives also contribute to the broader ecosystem by creating new sybil resistant methods for registering to new applications by requiring users to cryptographically prove ownership of certain accounts or identity, opening the door for application developers who want sybil resistance out of the box.

ZK is the next 0-1 in crypto applications, and there are many use cases that can be built that we haven’t imagined yet that are enabled by connecting web2 data with web3. This mission propels the vision forward by allowing us to continue building open source.

The mission is broken down into three different options:

Option A:

Conduct in-depth research to explore the technical aspects and feasibility of integrating 5 regional payment processors (Venmo, Wise, Paylah, Garanti) based on their compatibility with ZKEmail, TLSN. Provide valuable insights to inform future development decisions.

Option B:

Implement and audit zk circuits that may be verified and used by anyone to create an onramping flow for that payment platform, leveraging OP tokens for compensation. Provide any security findings and further steps for securing the implementation.

Option C:

Implement a functional prototype to demonstrate the integration with an on ramp to USDC experience, showcasing the viability of the proposed solution and leveraging OP tokens for compensation. Solution should demonstrate any 4337 account abstraction integrations for as seamless of an experience as possible.

S5 Intent Please list the Intent your Request aligns with here:

• Improve the Consumer Experience

Proposing Delegate: N/A

Proposal Tier: Ember / Fledgling Tier

Baseline grant amount:

A: 25K OP

B: 100K OP

C: 150K OP

Should this Foundation Mission be fulfilled by one or multiple applicants: one applicant, multiple team members (4)

Submit by: To be set by Grants Council

Selection by: To be set by Grants Council

Start date: Started

Completion date: 4 Months

Specification

How will this Delegate Mission Request help accomplish the above Intent?

• This Mission Request directly supports listed intent example: Experience enhancements that may include fiat on/off ramps, UX improvements (e.g., EIP 6551 and EIP 4337), web2 profile import to web3 profiles [via zk proofs], and innovations that streamline on-chain activities.
    • Specifically, it aims to grow all of the collective measurements outlined in the Consumer Experience intent:
      • Number of new wallet addresses with a verified anti-sybil check:
        • The ramp protocol implementation should be inherently anti-sybil requiring zk proofs for registration. New wallet addresses will be onboarded as integrations of additional payment platforms used in other geographies are added to the protocol
      • Number of repeat transactions from new addresses:
        • The protocol should be the go to destination for anyone repeatedly seeking trustless onramping capabilities and repeated use is expected
        • The protocol or client should integrate 4337 account abstractions to further facilitate ease of use for a seamless experience while transactions settle on the Superchain
      • Number of transactions from new addresses that occur via non-DeFi applications:
        • Transactions of users on ramping should primarily include registration, ramping, and transfers

What is required to execute this Delegate Mission Request?

• Option A:
    • R&D into the feasibility of integrating additional payment platforms (Wise, Paylah, Mercado Pago, etc.) by understanding the existing off chain payment flow
    • R&D into the feasibility of integrating additional cryptographic primitives TLSN
  • Option B:
    • Observability into user activity and trends
    • Implement ZK circuits for 3 or more applicable data sources
    • Complete security audits for ZK circuits and generate any required artifacts for consumption (proving keys)
  • Option C:
    • Development and deployment of requisite smart contracts with ramp functionality and on chain verification
    • R&D and integration of 4337 and account abstraction providers
    • UX research and UI design work

How should the Token House measure progress towards this Mission?

The Token House should measure progress toward this mission by tracking the completion of each defined milestone within the proposed timeline and receiving regular updates.

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

The impact on the mission can be measured by on-chain user and transaction metrics on Dune as well as learnings, insights, and talks published by the developing team.

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

The impact on the mission can be measured by on-chain user and transaction metrics on Dune (rlg195/zkp2p, link limit) as well as learnings, insights, and talks published by the developing team.

Have you engaged a Grant-as-a-service provider for this Mission Request? No

Has anyone other than the Proposing Delegate contributed to this Mission Request? This is @asoong 's mission, I am the sponsoring delegate

Contact

Twitter: zkp2p, asoong91

Telegram: asoong

9 Likes

I’m not sure but i think this one is pretty heavily tailored toward asoong’s organization. Is there a way to make this application more generic so other competing solutions can get involved?

7 Likes

The general idea is good, but we also believe that a more generic scope or a greater opportunities to going deep into AA could be positive (in contrast, leaving the ZK component as a nice-to-have option) could also lead to greater creativity on the part of the applicants.

Hey Joxes, we can certainly make the scope more generic, I might have misunderstood the mission request process versus applying to the mission. In its simplest form it probably suffices to use the language from the Mission Delegate requests stated in Intent 3: Improve the Consumer Experience:

• Development of practical use cases covering areas like gaming, encrypted on-chain data ownership for companies and individuals, digital identity, ZK application infrastructure, social applications, and remittance/transfer infrastructure.
  • Experience enhancements that may include fiat on/off ramps, UX improvements (e.g., EIP 6551 and EIP 4337), web2 profile import to web3 profiles, and innovations that streamline on-chain activities.

and then I would apply for it with much of the specification that’s noted in this post. Our proposal is for a zk based on ramp that also explores 4337. The zk component is what enables users to on ramp directly from their existing p2p payment applications such as Wise or Venmo.

3 Likes

I think this is a great example of a Mission that would benefit from having 2 or 3 teams working in parallel.

There could be a team focusing on privacy and ZK onboarding, while other experimenting with Account Abstraction as suggested by @Joxes. I believe this is an area in which we should encourage as much experimentation as possible and that can be better achieved by running several experiments at the same time.

2 Likes

Hey folks thanks for reviewing the draft. I’m not sure where it stands at the moment. Are there any points I can further provide clarity on to secure a vote?

Hey @asoong! Please contact your sponsor to update your Mission Request based on the feedback provided above. This will increase the probability of approval, as at least two Top 100 delegates have already provided you with feedback.

2 Likes

We definitely need more on-ramps, and privacy is an added advantage. At a quick glance, exchange rates are also competitive.

However, I feel that this proposal is primarily focused on your project (except for points 2 and 3, especially the R&D part), and adoptation will increase consumer experience.

Therefore, one suggestion, do you think wallet integration could be a commitment of this proposal? Is it feasible?

I can see the INR option too on your platform and given the nature of gov, HDFC(your partner) could possible stop to offer their service. Same goes with Wise. Integrating Paylah or similar provider could be a big win.

For development support, which this proposal is more allignd to, you can possibly submit a grant application but under this mission request, I would encourage you to extend your thoughts on making sure users will continue to use the developed product.

1 Like

Hi, I suggest you use the same strategy at this proposal, where there are different options/paths for applicants:

This way this mission request can communicate better the actual requirements, and allow more diversity. So that teams with different skills apply within this scope.

2 Likes

I’ve sent drafts with updates to my sponsor to update. Since we’re a little bit short or time I’ll include a copy here for your consideration now as well. @OPUser. Thank you everyone.

Edit: removing redundant reply after Katie updated post!

2 Likes

Heads up @jackanorak @OPUser @Joxes @santicristobal @brichis that changes have been made to this mission based on your feedback Please review and let us know if there are any other changes needed. Thank you for your feedback and your time!

4 Likes

On/Off ramps are essential for onboarding users with limited banking access, and I believe the Optimism Collective will benefit immensely from targeting, researching and building onramping solutions through the Mission Request process.

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

2 Likes

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

2 Likes

On and off-ramps are critical for new users coming to the ecosystem. I really like the proposal and I think supporting this mission would be a great step towards simplifying access to the crypto space for everyone.

If the mission is focused on ramps and onboarding users, why using ZK or account abstraction should be a must? There are different ways to execute ramps, we are adding complexity to achieve the final goal which is to grow the superchain.

3 Likes

I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

3 Likes

Hey @asoong – just wanted to flag this as a proposal that still needs delegate approvals in order to move to a vote. If you are no longer interested in pursuing this proposal – please disregard this message. In order to see the delegates assigned to your proposal those can be found here. The deadline to provide feedback and approvals for Mission Requests is February 7th at 19:00

Cheers!

Love what zkP2P is building!

1 Like

This looks like it already has enough delegates, but we have sufficient voting power and would like to see it come to a vote.

1 Like

This proposal already has enough approvals, but I’d like to signal my support for it as well.

I am a bit confused though on this part:

Proposal Tier: Ember / Fledgling Tier

Baseline grant amount

A: 25K OP

B: 100K OP

C: 150K OP

Should this Foundation Mission be fulfilled by one or multiple applicants: one applicant, multiple team members (4)

If this mission should be fulfilled by just one applicant (one mission proposer), does that applicant have to choose which option they will cover (A, B or C)?

And if the proposer chooses to cover more then one option (as they are not mutually exclusive but rather complementary), then how should we treat the baseline grant amount? As a max baseline amount of the options chosen or rather a sum of chosen options? If it’s the latter then I’d like to note that combined baseline grant amounts (25K+100K+150K=375K) exceed the limits for the Fledgling Tier and make it an Eagle Tier proposal.

Anyway, I find this mission request valuable, especially the part regarding the part of " in-depth research to explore technical aspects and feasibility of integrating 5 regional payment processors". However, I’d love those to include also local regional payments processors from different areas in the world (for example none of the listed processors are popular in Poland where I’m coming from, but we have several very useful local ones instead, it would be useful to have study the possibilty of integrating them for such onboarding purposes).

I would like to suggest though, that maybe it would be beneficial to have a possibility of having multiple applicants for this request covering just one of the proposed options? So that we could have for example several mission proposers covering just an Option A and maybe different mission proposers covering Option B or C.

1 Like

The Grants Council has opened early submissions as an Indication of Interest for this mission request here

For your application to be considered, the Mission request must pass the Token House vote on February 14th. Early submissions will not be considered if a Mission Request is not approved on the 14th.