We supported Karma in writing this proposal and will abstain from voting, but we believe their proposal will add great value to the Optimism ecosystem.
Hello, I have some points to comment:
1- Please update the proposal with the new template, I see that some important points are missing.
2- It is not clear what the tokens are going to be used for.
3- Do you have a link to github, could you make it available?
4- As of today, is it already implemented in Optimism? if it is implemented, which of all the functionalities is already in production?
6- How are you going to promote its adoption within Optimism?
7- What advantages does Karma have over its competitors or what differentiates them?
I updated the proposal to address all your questions. Regarding Metrics, we haven’t launched the project yet, we can update this thread once it’s launched and is being used. Please let me know if you need clarity on any of the updates.
Hello and thank you for your proposal.
I have some questions.
- How are the OP tokens going to be used? Since you are asking funds for development, a high level overview of what will be spent for what resource is needed. How many devs, what salaries etc. 10,000 $OP seems to be about $9k right now which seems quite littleto fund development of something.
- Optimism governance has recently switched to committee decisions. So a lot of work is happening in the committees and the committees themselves are not using the forums, apart from the case where interaction with the applicants is needed. Since you are applying for a grant to improve optimism governance, Karma dashboard should be configured to take this into account.
This will take about 3 weeks of work for a frontend dev and a bit of devops work. The reason it is not a huge effort is because we already have a fully working backend. This proposal is to build the frontend site. The feedback we received from Optimism team was to start with basic information and then based on community feedback we iterate.
That is a really good point. We definitely want to include committee member contribution in these dashboards. This is going to increase the scope of the project but this is something important and we will do it as part of this project.
Hello thanks for the response. If it’s only 3 weeks work and only frontend then the requested amount seems to be quite high.
3 weeks work for $10,000 OP is $9,252.
That’s a monthly salary of $12,336 and yearly $148,032.
Sorry, I was only focusing on your developer question. Here is a clear breakdown of everything
Frontend dev: 120 hrs X $60 = $7200
Devops: 20 hrs X $50 = $1000
PM/BD work (me): 20 hrs X $75 = $1500
We see lots of value in small tools like this (for all kinds of stakeholder groups), especially if maintained, further iterated & improved. The funding Ask is small overall and seems reasonable for the project size.
Generally speaking, for Optimism grants, it might make sense to add tiers for funding requests. A good example is Polkadot/Web3 grants which require different approvals & can be divided into
- InstaGrants: up to 10K for small tasks, projects and getting the ball rolling
- Small Grants: up to 30K for small projects
- Large grants: up to unltd. funding for large projects
Thank you this looks reasonable.
@lefterisjp with cycle-6 ending, should this be updated to cycle-7? What else should I do? Thanks.
I am an Optimism delegate [Delegate Commitments - #18 by katie] with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.
I am an Optimism delegate [Delegate Commitments - #37 by linda] with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.
We are an officially recognized Tooling Governance Committee, responsible for assessing proposals related to tooling and infrastructure (wallets, bridges etc.).
Karma is a dashboard to show DAO delegate activity and rank them by that activity. They are already being used by other DAOs, notably the gitcoin DAO to help token holders decide on who to delegate their tokens.
The proposal is for the project to create a similar dashboard for optimism delegates and governance.
Karma submitted a proposal on the 6th of September: https://gov.optimism.io/t/review-gf-phase-1-proposal-karma-delegate-dashboard/3411. Various delegates interacted with the proposal including a committee member (@lefterisjp).
In this part, we focus on the following aspects:
- Added value (good to bad): good. Having an Optimism dedicated dashboard would help token holders with the decision on who to delegate their tokens to. Could also provide insight to delegates themselves about their activity.
- Impact or expected usage (high to low) low: This proposal will only impact token holders who want to delegate their tokens and won’t affect Optimism as a whole.
- Current Status [Development stage/¿Open Source?] (early to ready) early: The project already has dashboards ready for other DAOs, but the optimism one is not yet ready. Code will be opensource. The proposal is to fund development of this dashboard’s frontend
- Expenditure plan and distribution (appropriate to inappropriate) appropriate: After a query from our committee member the team provided a budget breakdown that makes sense.
- Amount requested (high to low) low: The amount seems good for the effort needed
The best way to track the impact of this proposal would be to:
- Have the Optimism dashboard implemented
- Perform a user survey to the optimism community to provide feedback on the dashboard and see if it helps them or not. It would be nice if the Karma team performed such a survey.
Voted yes - Following Tooling Committee recommendation and I’m also a big fan of DAO tooling.
Voted yes for this tool. Definitely a tool that can be plugged into a DAO
Voting YES following the recommendation we published with the tooling committee of which I am a member.
Following our own Tooling committee recommendation, Karma delegate dashboard for Optimism is a very interesting proposal that could improve the governance process and its participants, so the requested amount is reasonable for possible benefits to engage delegation, very important in these early stages.
Snapshot vote - passed