Optimism Educational Video Encyclopedia on YouTube - Phase 1 Grant Proposal

Project name:

• Optimism Educational Video Encyclopedia on YouTube - Phase 1 Grant Proposal

—-------------------------------

Author name and contact info (please provide a reliable point of contact for the project):

• CodeXpert Blockchain Solutions
  • officialcodexpert@gmail.com
  • Discord : CodeXpert#9896

I understand that I will be required to provide additional KYC information to the Optimism Foundation to receive this grant: [Yes/No]

• Yes

I understand that I will be expected to following the public grant reporting requirements outlined here:[Yes/No]

• Yes

L2 recipient address:

• 0x6dc2CE8d287a99E0cEe8889c4f38ce2e2efDBBab

Which Voting Cycle are you applying for?:

• Cycle-10

Which sub-committee should review your proposal? (Builders Grants, Growth Experiment Grants)

• Builders Grants

Project description (please explain how your project works):

• Creation of one-stop platform for video based Optimism educational content on YouTube which includes all Optimism SDKs, libraries, references as well as real life examples tutorial series.

Project links:

Additional team member info (please link):

• Null

Please link to any previous projects the team has meaningfully contributed to:

Our previous major collaborations in web3 space :

• Tron Foundation :
    • We were official community developers for Tron blockchain from 2018-2020 and received the grant of $5000 from the Tron accelerator program. In that period, we created the following tutorial series for Tron which is still the most popular educational source for Tron developers on YouTube with a like/dislike rate of around 96%.
      • Best Tron (TRX) DApp Tutorial Series for Beginners
      • Create Tron (TRX) TRC20 Token - Tutorial Series
      • Tron (TRX) Dice Game DApp - Tutorial Series
      • Best Tron (TRX) Smart Contract beginner tutorial series
      • Exclusive Interview With Tron Executive - Is Tron ‘The Ethereum Killer’ ?
  • Flow Blockchain :
    • We have been in partnership with Flow blockchain since the start of 2023 and have received over $4500 in grants till now. Currently we are working in close cooperation with the Flow team to create multiple tutorial series. The first one which was launched recently is :
      • Flow NFT DApp Tutorial Series

Relevant usage metrics (TVL, transactions, volume, unique addresses, etc. Optimism metrics preferred; please link to public sources such as Dune Analytics, etc.):

• Successful partnerships with Tron and Flow blockchains
  • More than 180 videos uploaded on channel
  • More than 350K views

Competitors, peers, or similar projects (please link):

• N/A

Is/will this project be open sourced? Yes/No/In Future

• Yes

Optimism native?: Yes/No

• Yes. The courses created using this grant will be exclusively for Optimism.

Date of deployment/expected deployment on Optimism:

• Within 30 days of grant issuance.

Ecosystem Value Proposition:

• What is the problem statement this proposal hopes to solve for the Optimism ecosystem?
    • YouTube is one of the major platforms for web3 developers who want to learn about the technology. Optimism doesn't have a good presence on YouTube to catch these developers. Even though there is some Optimism educational material on YouTube, it doesn't have a good audience as expected.
  • How does your proposal offer a value proposition solving the above problem?
    • We would like to create quality Optimism educational content on YouTube and advertise it to the target audience. We propose creating following tutorial series on YouTube :
      • Phase 1 - Real life examples of Optimism
      • Phase 2 - SDKs, References and APIs
        • Details will be given in Phase 2 grant proposal
    • In this proposal, we are applying only for Phase-1 grants.
    • Each tutorial series creation will be divided into two different parts :
      • Creation & Launch of series
      • PR campaigns & advertising.
    • Each tutorial series will consist of 10-12 videos, each 8-12 minutes long.
    • Details are given below.
  • Why will this solution be a source of growth for the Optimism ecosystem?
    • At the end of this project we expect at least 75K-80K unique targeted developer audience.
    • From which at least 4000-6000 (5%-7%) will be regular Optimism content viewers and developers.
    • YouTube web3 channels have a growing audience which will keep impacting the Optimism ecosystem in the future as well.

Has your project previously applied for an OP grant?

• No.

Number of OP tokens requested:

• Equivalent to $4500
  • 2500 OP (Considering $1.8 OP price. May vary at the time of grant issuance based on OP price)

Did the project apply for or receive OP tokens through the Foundation Partner Fund?: Yes/No/In Process

• No.

If OP tokens were requested from the Foundation Partner Fund, what was the amount?:

• N/A

Proposal for token distribution:

• How will the OP tokens be distributed?
    • 33% Content creation
      • Production of educational resources needs some amount of funds. We have minimized it as much as possible in order to use these funds in PR campaigns and Marketing.
    • 66% Marketing & PR campaigns (Details given below)
      • Marketing and PR campaigns are where we will use most of the funds, so that it will benefit the Optimism ecosystem.
  • Over what period of time will the tokens be distributed for each initiative?
    • There will be 3 tutorial series in this grant proposal, each tutorial series will be created within the period of 10 days.
    • The complete project will be delivered within 30 days.
    • The details are given below.
  • Please list the milestones/KPIs you expect to achieve for each initiative, considering how each relates to incentivizing sustainable usage and liquidity on Optimism.
    Milestones Deliverables Timeline Grant(USD)
    1.1 The Ultimate Optimism NFT Tutorial Series Basics of NFT, creation of a unique NFT layers & images, creation of NFT drop smart contract on Optimism using thirdweb, trading NFTs on Opensea. Series is already live here : https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL5pYVd8AWtRFqOhguwGDyTvFktSon0ZK 0 Days Free
    1.2 The Ultimate Optimism NFT Tutorial Series PR Campaign The Ultimate Optimism NFT Tutorial Series will be advertised through various sources to get at least 25K-30K unique viewers. Budget will be spent for a 1 month long period. Expected 25K-30K total views. (Around 1K viewers/day) 7 Days $1000
    2.1 - Optimism Voting DApp Tutorial Series Simple DApp development series explaining basics of Optimism development. 10 Days $750
    2.2 - Optimism Voting DApp Tutorial Series PR Campaign Optimism Voting DApp Tutorial Series will be advertised through various sources to get at least 25K-30K unique viewers. Budget will be spent for a 1 month long period. Expected 25K-30K total views. (Around 1K viewers/day) 7 Days $1000
    3.1 - Optimism NFT Android Game Tutorial Series Android Game development using NFT creation on Optimism chain using either Chainsafe or ThirdWeb Unity SDK. 10 Days $750
    3.2 - Optimism NFT Android Game Tutorial Series PR Campaign Optimism NFT Android Game Tutorial Series will be advertised through various sources to get at least 25K-30K unique viewers. Budget will be spent for a 1 month long period. Expected 25K-30K total views. (Around 1K viewers/day) 7 Days $1000
    • Why will incentivized users and liquidity on Optimism remain after incentives dry up?
      • People will keep watching the tutorial series on YouTube and YouTube will increase the reach of videos as view count increases in the future.
10 Likes

How can I call @discobot ?

2 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

2 Likes

@discobot display help

1 Like

I currently know how to do the following things:

@discobot start {name-of-tutorial}

Starts an interactive tutorial just for you, in a personal message. {name-of-tutorial} can be one of: tutorial, advanced tutorial.

@discobot roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Follow your instincts. That is where true wisdom manifests itself. — Oprah Winfrey

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: You may rely on it

1 Like

@discobot start tutorial

1 Like

great project optimism layer 2

1 Like

@discobot start tutorial

1 Like

@discobot start advanced tutorial

1 Like

Please ensure you have reviewed the 1 year lockup terms and other restrictions that apply to Builders grants by reviewing the Feb 3 AMA notes. If your application needs edits, please endeavor to make the edits by Feb 6 at 19:00 GMT.

1 Like

@GrantsOps Thanks for the suggestion. We would like to have at least 50% grants in cash form, so that we will be able to promote the content produced through the grants. Thanks!

1 Like

There is no clear statement here on the tokens being distributed after the 12 month lock period.
Please note that funds are not to be used until that time period with a schedule correlating to the distribution and percentages of the tokens being allocated.

If your need developer funding immediately there is an application for that as well.

Grants are only distributed in OP tokens after the 12 month lock period for builders grants.

Where are you drawing these statistics? Are you able to share with us your average viewership? What is the average conversion rate to subscribers on a weekly or monthly basis?

From what I’m seeing on the youtube channel, it’s 6.27k subscribers, less than projected target amount. Granted, other non-subscribers can account for the conversion, but if we look at the previous two complete projects you’ve posted (Optimism NFT Tutorial and Polygon NFT Tutorial), there is a decreasing amount of views per video.

Optimism NFT Tutorial:
Tutorial 1 had the most views with 1.5k, Tutorial 2 had 190 views. This continues to decrease with videos at 62 views, 49 views, 38 views, 41 views, and 39 views respectively. Lower amounts than the initial post.

Even if we assumed these were all unique individuals, it only totals to a little over 1.9k viewers.

Polygon NFT Tutorial:
Polygon Tutorials experience a similar drop off, Tutorial 1 has 6.3k views, Tutorial 2 has 2.4k, then 557 views, 280 views, 142 views, 130 views, 118 views, 128 views.

Again assuming unique individuals, this totals 10k views.

What is the viewership timeline? Given its been 3 weeks since the Optimism NFT Tutorials, do you see most viewers closer to publication or is it a week or so after? Polygon NFT Tutorials have been available for 2 months.

–Now maybe the NFT Tutorial Series is not too big right now because it’s new and hasn’t paid its dividends yet. Maybe the dApp videos will perform better.–

Ethereum dApp Tutorial:
Comparing to the Ethereum tutorials for expected reference, these videos experience the same drop off. Tutorial 1 has 16k views, Tutorial 2 has 4.3k views, then a slight uptick to 5k views for Tutorial 3, then 2.7k views, 1.4k views, and 1.6k views.

The videos total ~31,000 views, accumulated over 2 years ago.

–Now here, let’s assume "okay, we didn’t market this, let’s use the channel’s best playlist “Best Tron (TRX) DApp Tutorial Series for Beginners”–

Tron dApp Tutorial Series:
This playlist has 19,135 views. It experiences the same drop off from 33k views and levels around 2.0k - 4k views later.

If I assumed all unique users, again, the total is 78,100 views. This accumulated from the past 4 years posted. It is only now reaching its mark of the Optimism’s proposed 75k-80k views, and you received Tron partnership to perform the same services, correct?

Questions: I think to sum up, can we get more information on the viewing activity for videos? What do you plan to use for strategies for marketing and PR campaigns?

Suggestions: You may want to decrease the amount of videos posted per focus because of the decline in viewership. This may decrease the fund proposal request as well and could make the project more feasible.

I hope this post isn’t too much information, just trying to justify my reasoning and thinking. Looking forward to your response.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. I was traveling and just came back to work today. Can you please point me out to the link of application form for immediate developer funding. We will need at least 66% of the funds for marketing purposes. Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. Let me answer your questions one by one.

Where are you drawing these statistics? Are you able to share with us your average viewership? What is the average conversion rate to subscribers on a weekly or monthly basis?

This is the average statistics for any YouTube video series. Around 5-7% of the viewers tend to stick to the content. Also, regular content viewers doesn’t mean they have subscribed to the channel. Content viewers and subscribers are two different things.

From what I’m seeing on the youtube channel, it’s 6.27k subscribers, less than projected target amount. Granted, other non-subscribers can account for the conversion, but if we look at the previous two complete projects you’ve posted (Optimism NFT Tutorial and Polygon NFT Tutorial), there is a decreasing amount of views per video.

Sure, viewers will decrease with each advanced video. We only advertise first 2 videos of the series and all other views are organic. That means people who got engaged through advertising watch them as they get time. Just last week we worked with Flow team for tutorial series (link here : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL5pYVd8AWtStx6jrAKKgJPjEznpqYbJh ) and you can see that there are around 1K viewers who have completed the course and the number will increase within next 2-3 weeks.

The Optimism NFT Tutorial and Polygon NFT Tutorial has not been advertised through, hence there are low views. (please go through the milestones where we have mentioned PR campaign for the same.)

What is the viewership timeline? Given its been 3 weeks since the Optimism NFT Tutorials, do you see most viewers closer to publication or is it a week or so after? Polygon NFT Tutorials have been available for 2 months.

Please go though the milestones : Series will be advertised through various sources to get at least 25K-30K unique viewers. Budget will be spent for a 1 month long period. Expected 25K-30K total views. (Around 1K viewers/day)

Again Polygon NFT tutorials have not been advertised. We have just entered into partnership with Polygon and will start working with them from next month. Please look at Flow tutorials, as we are currently actively working with them.

Tron dApp Tutorial Series:
This playlist has 19,135 views. It experiences the same drop off from 33k views and levels around 2.0k - 4k views later.

If I assumed all unique users, again, the total is 78,100 views. This accumulated from the past 4 years posted. It is only now reaching its mark of the Optimism’s proposed 75k-80k views, and you received Tron partnership to perform the same services, correct?

No. The terms were different at that time. We didn’t advertise the Tron videos. All views are completely organic. You can see by searching that our videos show up at the top of the search on YouTube as well as Google. Flow tutorials terms are same as Optimism. So please choose Flow tutorials as a basis to compare. You can see that we developed tutorial series as well as developed Tron based android game with them. (link here : https://www.candycrunchdapp.com/)

I think to sum up, can we get more information on the viewing activity for videos? What do you plan to use for strategies for marketing and PR campaigns?

We use Google, Facebook ads as well as we have collaborations with other YouTubers, who will promote the video.

You may want to decrease the amount of videos posted per focus because of the decline in viewership. This may decrease the fund proposal request as well and could make the project more feasible.

As you can see, our channel has all of the videos of length around 8-12 mins and all of the series have around 8-12 videos. Our viewers are accustomed to it and it would be good if we keep the same format throughout.

I hope I have answered all your questions. Please feel free to ask more if you need more information. Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here you go !!!

1 Like

Thank you for the thorough response, this was very helpful. Ok, so using the Flow Tutorials as a comparison point, I’d just like to confirm your milestones. With the same terms, you’d expect to generate 25k-30k views for each series within 1 week of posting correct? This would be 25k-30k total for the entire series?

1 Like

Hi @HCNAT0_NEU_Blockhain ,

Please go through the milestones given in the proposal : Every series will be advertised through various sources to get at least 25K-30K unique viewers. Budget will be spent for a 1 month long period. Expected 25K-30K total views. (Around 1K viewers/day)

Although it is stated as around 1K viewers/day for 30 days, which counts 30K views in total, we might get views faster than expected. For eg. 2K viewers/day for 15 days. In case of Flow tutorial series, we got around 20K views in around 10 days, which counts for 2K viewers/day. We are still getting views but now with slower rate. We expect to get around 30-35K views till March end for the series, which is actually more than expected.

In short it is a bit flexible and depends upon response from viewers, although I can assure you that series will get more views than given in the proposal. But for the sake for conservative estimate, I have given 25K-30K views per tutorial series.

Also, once you get around 30K views, the tutorial series will be listed at the top of the YouTube search results. Hence it will keep getting organic views as days pass by. You can search with ‘flow nft tutorial’ or ‘flow dapp tutorial’ or ‘flow nft dapp’ or ‘flow nft dapp tutorial’ or similar phrases and you will see that now our tutorial series has been at the top of the search results (Or at least in the first 5 results depends upon the region and user YouTube history).

I hope I have answered your question. Thanks! Let me know if you need more clarification. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@FractalVisions

Thanks for the comment but I can not see any link for immediate developer funding. Please correct me if I am wrong! Thanks!

1 Like