[Mission Request] Develop non-technical solutions for increasing both voter and token participation in the DAO

Delegate Mission Request Summary: Develop non-technical solutions for increasing both voter and token participation in the DAO.

S6 Intent: Progress Towards Decentralization

Proposing Delegate/Citizen: @kaereste on behalf of Event Horizon DAO (EventHorizonCommunity.eth)

Total grant amount: 75k OP

Should this Mission be fulfilled by one or multiple applicants: Multiple

How will this Mission Request help accomplish the above Intent?:

As outlined in Missions v2.5, mission requests should contribute to target metrics. In the case of Intent 1, that’s “Token House governance: Increase votable supply by 15% to 100M OP”. The above Mission Request is therefore in line with this north star by placing an emphasis on bringing in both new voters and tokens.

What is required to execute this Mission Request?

While contracts and technical developments may be included, the solution will be expected to create an improvement mechanism for citizen voter participation, voice amplification, and inclusion primarily through non-technical means.

The solution team or individual will be expected to…

• Provide a detailed rationale for their approach with a clear depiction of how and why their solution will drive the impact metrics detailed below.
  • Build all required components of their solution
  • Maintain their solution product or offering for a minimum of 12 months including all needed adjustments, additions, or other maintenance work needed to keep the solution viable and available for the community.
  • Capture relevant metrics as they pertain to achieving the desired intent for public disclosure to the community.

How should governance participants measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

• Milestones:
    • The solution will be subject to the typical milestone-based delivery and assessment process. The Milestones and Metrics committee will assess the completion of milestones, as usual.
  • Metrics:
    • Increase of total votable supply of OP, highlighted as a core metric in Intent 1’s ratification
    • Increase in number of voters in Optimism DAO
  • Impact:
    • Impact will be measured by the absolute and relative performance of the aforementioned two metrics, both in line with the key metric of Intent 1.

Has anyone other than the proposer contributed to this Mission Request? No

Which metric will the success of this Mission Request be evaluated against?

The North star metric against which this Mission Request should be evaluated is # of addresses delegating for the first time, as it reflects to what degree this effort lowers the barriers to governance participation through the grantee’s non-technical solutions. This metric was suggested by the Foundation and approved by the Grants Council.

6 Likes

Question:
By saying that this Mission be fulfilled by one applicant, you are saying only one non-technical solution can be executed with the 75k OP budget?

It seems to me that with this budget there could be multiple teams making efforts.

For example, the proposal that I made I believe can be carried out with 1/10 of what is contemplated.

Could you, @kaereste explain your rationale to me or correct me if I’m understanding something wrong?
ex: If I wanted to make a proposal for a grant, would I have to consider using the 75K?
Can’t I even aspire to a grant for this?

1 Like

Awesome request @kaereste. This is a largely overlooked piece of critical infra. Would love to discuss this some more.

As finalists in S5R2, we have still made progress, despite not being awarded a grant.
Optimism is now included in our native product https://lighthouse.cx/ and usable by OP users both iOS/Android.

Thus so we would need to adjust our original S5 request, (Still lots to do, but some of the work is partially done)

We would really appreciate more feedback. We also have some new ideas for increasing governance participation based on observations in the ecosystem.

Hey @alexsotodigital, we agree that expanding the mission request to “Multiple” would be best for the success of both this Mission Request, and the Optimism ecosystem.

1 Like

I’ve changed the requirement regarding the number of participants as requested by the proposer. I would also like to note that the proposal was submitted by @EventHorizonDAO and I just merely sponsored it as the official MR, so I think it would be best for @EventHorizonDAO to respond to @1a35e1 and @alexsotodigital comments.

3 Likes

A North Star Metric has been added at the bottom of this Mission Request in an effort to enable the Collective to make data-driven decisions. By using a single metric for each Mission Request, the Collective is better able to evaluate the performance of all the Season 6 missions in a standardized manner, which will be critical when the Collective makes decisions about Intents, budgets, or other critical components of governance.

2 Likes

Informing @op_julian that this Mission Request was closed at the end of Cycle 26.