Delegate Mission Request Summary:
Make Optimism and the Superchain a polyglot smart contract ecosystem for developers by enabling the support for conventional languages such as Rust, C++, Python, etc., for smart contract development on any OP Stack chain. This can be achieved by introducing a sidecar runtime system that allows for the compilation of LLVM IR to the MIPS architecture, to support and interoperate with the EVM. This sidecar runtime system will be called Quill, an intended homage to the Ether’s Phoenix.
S5 Intent Please list the Intent your Request aligns with here: Intent #2: Grow the Superchain
Proposing Delegate: PizzaKnight | Mawuko.eth
Proposal Tier: Fledgling Tier
Baseline grant amount: 250K OP
Should this Foundation Mission be fulfilled by one or multiple applicants: Up to 3 applicants
Submit by: To be set by Grants Council
Selection by: To be set by Grants Council
Start date: Q1 2024 (February 25, 2024)
Completion date: Q4 2024. (December 31, 2024)
How will this Delegate Mission Request help accomplish the above Intent?
- By making the Optimism and Superchain ecosystems capable of supporting multiple popular(and pre-blockchain) programming languages for smart contract development, the criteria for smart contract developers expands beyond the sphere of the blockchain-specific developer base into that of the traditional tech scene(which is home to the majority of software developers in the world…
What is required to execute this Delegate Mission Request?
- A runtime system that permits the compilation of LLVM IR to MIPS architecture and is compatible with Optimism’s Canon. Additionally, this runtime system should be interoperable with the existing EVM system in the OP Stack.
How should the Token House measure progress towards this Mission?
- A working prototype of this system that compiles LLVM IR down to MIPS instruction set in Cannon.
- A working prototype that is able to interface with the EVM
- A testnet OP Stack chain that is fully integrated with the prototype runtime system
- Initial launch of a dedicated library to add support for popular high-level languages such as Rust.
- An initial set of test smart contract code that leverages the new runtime system and interoperates with EVM-based smart contracts in the same system.
How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?
- The number and growth of smart contracts based on this new runtime that are deployed in OP Stack chains.
- The number and growth of developers actively making contributions with smart contract code.
- The number and growth of developers with a professional background in traditional tech companies.
- The number and growth of new apps that specifically leverage the new runtime system.
- The number and growth of existing apps that integrate the new runtime system into parts of their app.
Have you engaged a Grant-as-a-service provider for this Mission Request?
Has anyone other than the Proposing Delegate contributed to this Mission Request? No