[DRAFT] Game-Changer Mission Request

Delegate Mission Request - Game-Changer

Mission Request: Game-Changer Attracting Top-Tier Gaming Projects to the Optimism Network

S5 Intent Alignment: Intent 3

Proposing Delegate: Butterbum

Proposal Tier: Ember Tier

Baseline grant amount: 50k OP

Applicant Type: Multiple applicants (specifically targeting existing gaming projects outside the Optimism network)

Submission and Selection Dates: Set by Grants Council

Start and Completion Dates: Flexible, with a goal to complete migrations within 6-9 months.

Specification

How will this Delegate Mission Request help accomplish the above Intent?

• This mission targets the migration of established gaming projects to the Optimism network. The initiative aims to showcase the advantages of Optimism Superchain vision and improve user experience with in the ecosystem.

What is required to execute this Delegate Mission Request?

• Migrate and Launch game

How should the Token House measure progress towards this Mission?

• Number of games committed to migrate,
  • successful migrations completed,
  • integration milestones.

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

• Increase in network activity due to migrated games,
  • user engagement metrics within these games,
  • overall growth in the Optimism gaming ecosystem.

Have you engaged a Grant-as-a-service provider for this Mission Request? If so, please disclose the details of this arrangement, to the extent possible:
DopeDao is currently voting on a proposal to execute a similar task to this mission. this proposal will allocate OP tokens received in Governance Grant season 2 to a proposal that focuses on deploying Dope World and Roll Your Own (RYO) as a Layer 3 (L3) application utilizing the cartridge controller and the katana sequencer on top of Op mainnet,. Along side this proposal are other important updates for Dope Wars.

I thought it be best to make it known that I am a DopeLabs member and there is an active proposal within Dope Wars relating to this mission request -

Has anyone other than the Proposing Delegate contributed to this Mission Request? If so, who, and what parts of this application did they contribute to? No

Application Instructions:

To be defined by the Grants Council in accordance with their internal operating procedures. Mission Applications must collect email addresses and twitter handles. Applications should specify whether they are applying for a growth or builders grants or a combination of the two (in which case, the proportion of rewards should be clear.) Suggested Template here.

5 Likes

I wanted to get a temp check on this as its a possible “vampire attack” mission request as it would target existing gaming projects outside the Optimism network. Would this be a viable mission?

Also some input, advise and feedback on Proposal Tier & Baseline grant amount would be helpful

3 Likes

Hey @Butterbum as you plan to attract new teams. I think Ember tier. However, this would restrict the team funding to 50K max. which seems to be reasonable. If the project is very impactful it could get additional funding from RetroPGF.

I don’t think I’m the right person to give additional feedback as I’m not an expert in gaming. But if you open up the scope of the grant to games in general, this wouldn’t be frame as a vampire attack anymore. This wouldn’t affect the quality of the games since the application process would be competitive and the grants council would choose the best fit for the grant.

2 Likes

Sup @Cotabe Thanks for the feedback, yes I do agree It’s been on my mind since I made the post. I am updating to Ember teir.

To your other point I wanted to keep the scope pretty tight as developing a game will exceed the limits of what I perceive this round of Mission Request is targeting.
Thanks again :+1:

3 Likes

So these are basically payouts to teams to migrate some games onto Superchain?

With a 50k max, how many teams roughly are you expecting to onboard?

Are there any games or teams that are currently on your radar?

Would teams that already have some presence on Optimism (as well as previous funding), like DopeDao, be excluded?

2 Likes

It’s really good to see a proposal for gaming, I think it’s a great proposal. The only thing that worries me is that they will just migrate, get some metrics and then abandon Optimism.

I think if this proposal is successful it should be accompanied by some long term incentive plan for games.

2 Likes

Migration of Pixel from Polygon to Ronin was a huge success and i do see gaming project ganing traction if they choose to migrate to mainnet.
How many project you are planning to target, a rough esitmate would be enough if you want to keep their name confidential.
Overall, happy to support this.

edit - I am an Optimism delegate with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback

Sorry @jackanorak for my delayed response. yes my intention was to have an avenue open in season 5 for gaming protocols to migrate and launch on the Superchain. I do agree with @AxlVaz that we should include some long term milestones to avoid low effort participation.

a possible edit could be…
/
What is required to execute this Delegate Mission Request?

• Undertake the game migration/launch and maintain active participation in Optimism and community-driven events, indicating a commitment to growth alongside the Superchain

How should the Token House measure progress towards this Mission?

• Number of games committed to migrate,
  • Confirm successful migrations and the robustness of these games
  • Integration milestones including initial launch and subsequent updates or expansions.
  • Examine integration milestones, looking for signs of enduring commitment such as consistent and active participation in community initiatives.

/

As for the onboarding and whos on my radar questions, I would like to see more than 5 as the gaming scene in Optimism is pretty dismal but getting better. I have no games/teams in mind, it was more of an open invitation for any team that needs a nudge to the Superchain. I would love to see more pop-up games like Words3 and OP-Craft as they have the potential to showcase what is possible.

The goal is to get new talent onboard the OP stack and while I do believe DopeDao and other protocols like Lattice, Small Brain Games should still be considered for this mission if they meet the criteria, ultimately it would be the grant council who would decide but I would hope for a more inclusive and less limiting approach to help accelerate gaming within the Superchain.

I’m happy to edit this mission request to help prevent low effort and encourage long term participation but its hard to guarantee. the possibility of RPGF should help in this front.

3 Likes

I’m debating if this mission request is needed, when the BD team/OP Ambassadors can work on governance proposals to acquire some large web3 gaming projects to come to Optimism like they are currently trying with Treasure. Can we use this OP to help with attracting Treasure?

Maybe we should define what a top tier gaming project is?

I would like to see the mission in the direction of attracting more native games on the superchain, rather than only migrating existing ones. also I would like to see definitive metrics for longer term alignment with Optimism. so I echo the points made by @AxlVaz and @jackanorak

1 Like

Hey @Butterbum – just wanted to flag this as a proposal that still needs delegate approvals in order to move to a vote. If you are no longer interested in pursuing this proposal – please disregard this message. In order to see the delegates assigned to your proposal those can be found here. The deadline to provide feedback and approvals for Mission Requests is February 7th at 19:00

Cheers!

1 Like

I’m leaving this comment as a timestamp to mark that the deadline for receiving approvals passed at 19:00 GMT on February 7th. Thank you everyone! :sparkles: