[DRAFT] Encouraging uptake of alternative development languages

Delegate Mission Request Summary:

This mission aims to diversify the development languages used within the Optimism ecosystem by encouraging the use of alternative languages to Solidity such as Vyper in app development. The goal is to get to a more inclusive and innovative development environment by providing support for audits, developer incentives, educational resources, and community-building initiatives around these languages.

S5 Intent

Intent 3 - Improve the consumer experience

Proposing Delegate

Jack Anorak

Proposal Tier

Fledgling

Baseline Grant Amount

100k OP - this would be effectively a trial for an ambitious approach

Should this Foundation Mission be fulfilled by one or multiple applicants

Multiple

Submit by

To be set by Grants Council

Selection by

To be set by Grants Council

Completion Date

December 31, 2024

How will this Delegate Mission Request help accomplish the above Intent?

By supporting languages like Vyper, this mission will:

• Encourage the adoption of these languages among new and existing developers in the Optimism ecosystem, effectively expanding the available pool of developers interested in Optimism
  • Enhance the security and efficiency of smart contracts through the unique features of these languages.

What is required to execute this Delegate Mission Request?

• Development and dissemination of educational resources and best practices for Vyper in smart contract development.
  • Funding for audits of projects developed in these languages to ensure security and reliability.
  • Incentive programs for developers who contribute to the Optimism ecosystem using Vyper.
  • Initiatives to build and strengthen the community around these languages, such as hackathons, workshops, and online forums.

How should the Token House measure progress towards this Mission?

• Number and quality of educational resources developed.
  • Participation rates in incentive programs and community events.
  • Number of projects audited and successfully deployed using Vyper.

How should badgeholders measure impact upon completion of this Mission?

• Increase in the diversity of languages used in the Optimism ecosystem.
  • Feedback from the developer community on the effectiveness of the support provided.
  • Assessment of the impact of Vyper projects on the overall quality and innovation within the ecosystem.

Have you engaged a Grant-as-a-service provider for this Mission Request?

No.

Has anyone other than the Proposing Delegate contributed to this Mission Request? If so, who, and what parts of this application did they contribute to?
No.

apologies for the heavy chatgpt on this one, needed to get it in by deadline

4 Likes

Hi @jackanorak, thanks for submitting this request. I would specify that the amount you’re looking for is in OP tokens!

1 Like

Hey @jackanorak! I’m not a developer so the question might be stupid.
You are proposing alternative languages to Solidity being used in development. This sounds good to me. However, you only mention Vyper. Are there any other languages that might be suitable?
Also, will the use of more languages complicate audits? I remember that there was a Vyper exploit on Curve in summer.

GM @jackanorak! Your mission looks interesting, but I have a comment. I’m not sure if Intent 3 is the right category for this Mission Request. I would suggest that it might work better under Intent 2 or even under Intent 1 (I’m not entirely certain because I can’t properly assess the impact of this mission) wdyt? Additionally, does this mission require any involvement from OP Labs? What needs to happen to increase the diversity of languages used in the Optimism ecosystem? I understand you were rushing to meet the deadline, but could you please provide more details in this Mission Request? I would like to understand the importance of having alternative development languages and how this can be achieved. Thank you! :sparkles:

We support this. This has a clear goal for current situation. I agree with Brichis here; I think this needs to be intent #2.

I am an Optimism delegate [Delegate Commitments - #65 by mastermojo ] with sufficient voting power, and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

i’ll be honest i actually don’t even know if this is a worthwhile (or even applicable!) idea, was mostly trying to get discussion going on it

As PoolCollective we think this is worth exploring and would say this request can go to vote. But it’s up to you, if you want to pursue this.

Hey @jackanorak – just wanted to flag this as a proposal that still needs delegate approvals in order to move to a vote. If you are no longer interested in pursuing this proposal – please disregard this message. In order to see the delegates assigned to your proposal those can be found here

Cheers!

I’m leaving this comment as a timestamp to mark that the deadline for receiving approvals passed at 19:00 GMT on February 7th. Thank you everyone! :sparkles: