[READY] [GF: Phase 1] rotki

Thank you for your feedback. You are entitled to your vote. But what is unprofessional is voting out of spite and not on the merit of a proposal

We are voting yes on this proposal. Reasons are: very well detailed proposal and amount seems reasonable. Interesting use case to increase interest on Optimism with new tools available.

1 Like

Iā€™ll vote Yes :white_check_mark:

Project quality: High - useful app. I can imagine that many users might avoid Optimism without proper tooling.
Team quality: High - led by crypto OG, active GitHub
Amount requested: Reasonable
OP distribution: Bad - funding development

1 Like

To vote out of spite I would need to have a project proposed and since I donā€™t then quite hard for it to be spiteful!

I didnā€™t like your clear biased attitude which is highly unprofessional, but the main reason for voting NO is the same reason I posted here [READY] [GF: Phase 1 Proposal] Candide Wallet - #29 by fewol

thank you for your feedback and for pointing me to an answer that would explain your approach. I obviously disagree with you and your view on opensource.

I have a couple objections to this, even though it looks like it will easily pass.

1 - If this is a public good, isnā€™t it more appropriate to seek retroactive public goods funding, something that is at the core of OP.

2 - Developers have to get paid obviously, but isnā€™t the point of Phase 1 to incentivize usage and liquidity? These tokens are to stimulate usage, not speculate on development.

Why do you think this is passing and what do you think i am missing?

1 Like

I voted yes on this proposal since there is already traction and a proven track record with the team, the amount requested is reasonable, and Iā€™m a fan of having an open source, privacy-focused portfolio tracker for Optimism users.

1 Like

Love Rotki and would love to see support for more networks.

1 Like

Snapshot vote - passed

1 Like

Hey Justin.

Thanks for those points.

I think I answered those both above and in discord but for completeness sake let me go at it here again.

1. No. Retroactive public goods funding is not a sustainable way to fund open source software development (or any kind of software development). You canā€™t expect people to create a project for free and then maybe if you like it throw them a small amount of coins as a thank you.
  2. For (2) I asked around discord and some members of the optimism team and they said itā€™s fine. I find ā€œincentivizing usageā€ a waste of money as this is just creating fake adoption by buying users who come in just for the extra tokens and then leave. So called mercenary users. Creating real software that can help people is creating value. Not speculation.

hey @lefterisjp ā€“ can you provide a Telegram handle or preferred contact method so the Optimism team can get in touch about paying out this grant :pray:

Feel free to comment on this thread, DM, or email bobby@optimism.io.

Ah thanks @bobby was wondering what were the next steps. Let me email you.

By the way I am also in Optimism discord if you need to quickly chat: lefterisjp | Rotki#7253

Hi @lefterisjp! Do you have any update on your grant that you could share with the community?

Hey @lavande.

So the update is that everything is almost ready. If someone wants to test it they can check out the develop branch of rotki. Code is all there: GitHub - rotki/rotki: A portfolio tracking, analytics, accounting and tax reporting application that protects your privacy and they can build by source.

For some sneak peeks of how Optimism integration looks like in rotki check the following tweets and screenshots:

What is included is:

1. All addresses tracked that have also optimism activity get it detected and are considered also as optimism capable addresses.
  2. Balances for ETH and tokens of all optimism addresses is pulled.
  3. All optimism history is pulled and processed
  4. All optimism transaction history is decoded and transactions are shown in a human readable format.
  5. Optimism transactions are also taken into account in rotkiā€™s accounting and PnL report.

This is still only in develop and we are in the very final stages of testing as this is all scheduled to be part of our next release, 1.27.0. Software takes ā€¦ always a lot longer than you expect it to.

I will post here again when 1.27.0 is ready!

6 Likes

Just posting an update. Optimism support is now in production: Release Rotki v1.27.0 - Herbst Corpuscle Ā· rotki/rotki Ā· GitHub

:bird::partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :bird:

8 Likes

Hey @lefterisjp wanted to direct you to a new piece Milestone Assessment . Aligning your milestones with these guidelines is not mandatory for cycle 10, but you can get a better score on the final review if you do implement it. These are intended to provide some more concrete tracking of this work.

1 Like

Hey Jack did you mean to post this in [DRAFT][GF: Phase 1 Proposal] rotki? Since this one is finished and succesfully implemented.

1 Like

I did! Apologies ā€“ crossed wires there.

1 Like