Current version Operating Manual v0.3
Hi everyone! This thread serves as a discussion forum for Optimism’s Operating Manual v0.2
v0.2 has been drafted to address feedback we’ve heard from the community over the course of Season 1, as outlined in Governance Update #2. The full diff of the manual can be found on GitHub here. A brief summary of those changes can be found below:
- Changes two-week voting cycles to a three-week voting cadence:
- Week 1: Community feedback
- Week 2: Delegate review
- Week 3: Snapshot vote
Summary for proposal authors
- Optimism has a three-week proposal review cycle.
- Before getting started: gut-check your idea in the #gov-temp-check channel in Discord.
- When you’re ready, draft a proposal and post it on the Forum with
[Draft]in the title for feedback from the community.
- When you’re ready for formal review from Token House delegates, update
[Review]. You are expected to have made an effort to get community feedback before submitting for formal review.
- During the next Review Week (every three weeks), delegates will provide feedback on your proposal. Use your judgment to incorporate feedback.
- Once your proposal has been approved for a vote by two delegates with >0.5% of voting supply, you may add a link to your proposal to the Voting Cycle Roundup thread. The proposal will be automatically added to Snapshot during the next one-week voting window.
- If your proposal is passed, the Optimism Foundation will distribute the approved funding. Note the Foundation may be in touch to collect additional information from your project in order to execute the grant.
- If your proposal fails, you can make a new proposal in the next cycle specifying how you have incorporated significant changes from your first proposal.
- Increases number of delegate approvals for a proposal to move to a vote from one to two delegates
- Defines “votable OP supply” as “the total amount of OP that has been delegated, and therefore can participate in voting”
- Adds that transparency into OP votable supply will be included in each Voting Roundup Thread
- Adds “without explicit delegate approval, proposals will not move to a Snapshot vote” - Adds “delegates cannot approve their own proposal”
- Clarifies rules for proposal re-submission
- Removes old proposal guidelines for Phase 0 GovFund proposals
- Adds “Committee Creation” proposal type
- Adds links to Phase 1 GovFund template
- Changes quorum from 10% to 30% of votable supply for all proposal types
- Changes the approval threshold for Protocol Upgrades from 51% to 76%
- Adds mention of future Delegate Code of Conduct
- Adds administration rights to remove duplicate proposals
- Changes OPerating Manual to Operating Manual
- Changes table headers for formatting clarify
- Adds new TLDR for voting process
This thread will remain open until the end of the Reflection Period. While these changes do not need approval by the Token House via a formal Snapshot vote, the Optimism Foundation welcomes your feedback to help craft a voting process that works for delegates, proposal authors, and involved community members.
The Operating Manual v0.2 will go into effect at the beginning of Season 2 on September 8 with the kickoff of Voting Cycle #6.