GovNFT Community Call Thread 2

Hi GovNFT program participants!

During the last community call we went into detail about Retro Funding 5: OP Stack and the guest voting experiment that will be implemented during the round, share your insights about the topic in this thread.

Questions to answer:

What projects are eligible for Round 5 of retrofunding?
What is the main experiment for Round 5 of retrofunding?

In case you didn’t attend the call you can read the recap and watch the recording here.

As a reminder, thoughtful responses are 20 points. Spam or low-effort posts will not count towards the point total.

1 Like

Hi @Michael - hope you are well. I couldn’t see the link to the call recording (apologies for not attending - I was on hols) - please could you share.

Thanks

Hi everyone - in the absence of a link to the call I’ve found a useful thread on Round 5 of RetroFunding to help other GovNFT program participants …

Happy reading everyone

Thanks

Andrew S

2 Likes

Hi @Michael ((please tell me if I am over-tagging you - I know this a thing over on Discord)

Generally speaking Retroactive Public Goods Funding is designed to reward contributions to the OP stack.

Specifically in Round 5 it looks like there are three categories of projects that can qualify for the 8m of OP tokens that are available namely:

1. Ethereum Core contributions
  2. OP Stack R&D
  3. OP Stack tooling

All three categories are subject to various exclusions including (but not limited to) qualifying for previous or future rounds of RPGF funding.

The main experiment being conducted this round is to test whether experts make better grant decisions vs non-experts.

Two points immediately jump out to me: firstly - I think it’s quite a bold move to conduct a live test with 8m OP tokens ‘up for grabs’ - I wonder if a smaller ‘test’ sample could have been used to protect OP Treasury funds.

Secondly - I was interested to see the prominence of Github usage as a measure of ‘expertness’. Whilst I don’t challenge this in terms of dev / technical work (although are other measures available) I do think that expertise - perhaps such as my own - may derive from other sources e.g. traditional higher education; banking & finance; psychology / behavioural science etc etc

Also expert and non-expert perhaps aren’t super-inclusive terms and are indeed quite subjective.

Other thoughts welcome

Andrew S

1 Like

Hey @andrewsuniverseL2,

My apologies, I just added the link!

1 Like

How to join the last community call ?

Community call will take place in 1 hour, you can find the google meet link here: Token House Call will be [Tuesday, August 27th @ 11:00PT / 14:00 ET / 18:00 GMT / 19:00 CET]

1 Like

I read the recap and this is my answer :

What projects are eligible for Round 5 of Retro Funding?
Ans : Projects that are eligible for Round 5 include those contributing to Ethereum Core, OP Stack Research & Development, and OP Stack Tooling. These projects must align with the OP Stack ecosystem and its growth.

What is the main experiment for Round 5 of Retro Funding?
Ans: The main experiment for Round 5 is the expert voting experiment, where voters are divided into three groups: badgeholders with expertise, badgeholders without expertise (randomly selected as a control group), and guest voters with expertise. The goal is to evaluate how expertise impacts voting outcomes.

1 Like

Eligible Projects for Round 5 of Retro Funding

For Round 5 of Retro Funding, the eligible projects include:

• Ethereum Core Contributions: Projects that contribute to the core development of Ethereum.
  • OP Stack Research & Development: Initiatives focused on research and development related to the OP Stack.
  • OP Stack Tooling: Tools and resources that support the OP Stack ecosystem.

Main Experiment for Round 5 of Retro Funding

The main experiment for Round 5 involves an Expert Voting Experiment. This experiment is designed to evaluate the impact of expertise on voting outcomes. Here’s how it works:

• Voter Groups: There are three groups of voters:
    1. Badgeholders with Expertise: 25 people selected based on their expertise.
    2. Badgeholders without Expertise: A control group of 50 people selected via random sampling.
    3. Guest Voters with Expertise: Individuals with expertise in the OP Stack.
  • Expertise Measurement: The expertise of guest voters is measured based on their past GitHub activity related to the OP Stack.

This experiment aims to understand how expertise influences the decision-making process in funding allocations.

Having seen this question, I think there’s a lot I could have wanted to answer, and I’m happy to share it with you all!

What projects are eligible for Round 5 of retrofunding?

There are three categories that can be rewarded in Retro Funding 5: Op stacks
Ethereum Core Contributions,OP Stack Research & Development,OP Stack Tooling

These projects include Op stack or Op stack-dependent infrastructure, contributions that directly contribute to Op stack upgrades or protocol upgrades, Op stack deployment or testing tools.
I think projects like solidity, hardhat, etc. can apply in this round and deserve to be rewarded.

More Detail: Retro Funding 5: OP Stack - round details
Translation into Chinese:Retro Funding 5: OP Stack — Optimism 中文

What is the main experiment for Round 5 of retrofunding?

For the first time, guest experts were brought in to participate in the scoring of Retro Funding, which was a departure from previous designs, and I’m all for the idea!

Unlike previous Retro Funding rounds, Op stack rounds need to be judged by experts who have contributed to the op stack, which is a much more accurate criterion, and I think opening up the guest voter is a good thing.

More detail:

GM ser, just finished a quick read and this the answer from my side :

What projects are eligible for Round 5 of Retro Funding?

There are three main categories for Round 5 of Retro Funding Involved :

• Ethereum Core Contributions : Projects that contribute to Ethereum infrastructure supporting the OP Stack, such as smart contract languages, Ethereum clients, and cryptography research.
  • OP Stack Research & Development : Direct research and development contributions to the OP Stack, including protocol upgrades, client implementations, modules, audits, and Fault Proof VM implementations.
  • OP Stack Tooling : Tools that enhance the usability and accessibility of the OP Stack, such as integration tools, load testing infrastructure, node management scripts, and documentation or tutorials specific to OP Stack components.

What is the main experiment for Round 5 of Retro Funding?

The main experiment for Round 5 is the Expert Voting Experiment. This experiment will test how expertise impacts voting outcomes by comparing the voting behavior of expert badgeholders, non-expert badgeholders, and guest voters with expertise in the OP Stack. It aims to see if there are significant differences in how these groups allocate rewards to contributors.

Hey Marcus,

This looks like a copy/paste of the forum post. Answer like this will not qualify for points.

Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you, Michael, I already changed my answer

Seems like I missed this but from a quick glance :

1. For Round 5 of retro funding, projects eligible include those that have contributed to the Optimism ecosystem, such as open-source projects, developer tools, and community initiatives.

2. The main experiment for this round focuses on assessing the effectiveness of funding allocations and exploring different models for distributing retroactive funding to enhance community involvement and project sustainability.