Change the use of OP tokens from a governance token to the main network token for gas payment

Seems to work fine for metis

1 Like

agreed… it will lower the gas fees as well.

1 Like

I think it is a good idea to use OP for gas fee

1 Like

It’s oke. Look like Polygon and OP can be used for mor usecase.

1 Like

I don’t think so. The whole idea of this token is to govern and give the community voice

1 Like

We have to do this. Great idea sir​:bulb::saluting_face::saluting_face::+1:

1 Like

No. It is a bad idea :slight_smile: I explain here why: Enabling $OP as a gas token on Optimism Network! - #102 by thibauld

1 Like

Others have stated it already, but to change the gas token from ETH to OP would introduce an unnecessary barrier to entry for new people coming from the L1. The ideal for any L2 is to be as frictionless as possible. Furthermore, Optimism still has to pay gas fees to Ethereum for transactions to be written to the L1, so any gas paid in OP would have to be sold for ETH anyway.

Let OP be the governance token and keep ETH for gas. Optimism is part of the Ethereum ecosystem and there’s nothing to be gained from introducing barriers within that ecosystem.

4 Likes

Im totally agree on this since it will help increase the utility of the token

1 Like

How we can put this discussion on the roadmap? i saw few times which supporting.

1 Like

Changing the way gas works on Optimism would affect the porting of smart contracts from Ethereum to OP for developers. I think this wouldn’t be beneficial to the long-term goal of helping bring adoption of Optimistic Rollups for Ethereum dapps. Anything that could be a roadblock for developers moving their dapps to OP as their scaling system of choice should be avoided IMO.

If anything, adding an extra function that would enable some of the ETH used as gas to buy back $OP and burn it would be a better

4 Likes

Completely agree @CryptoFlight.

mando-way-this-is-the-way

If I were to design this, and I would be interested in leading that charge. We would add 10-20% extra on top of the projected gas costs (which are volatile and impossible to accurately project, so we should have a margin on top anyway), and use this extra ETH to make scheduled auctions to buy OP and either burn or send to the DAO. I would have the DAO vote on the configuration, using a dashboard and param parties to inform the community about their choice.

I helped lead an effort like this before with Commons Stack and General Magic, for designing the Token Engineering Commons’ economy, here is the dashboard we built: Config 2 | Commons Dashboard

The dashboard for this would be a much simpler, as there would be fewer parameters and a straight forward concept for the DAO to debate.

5 Likes

Good points. I agree with you.

1 Like

it’s another better choice for users, not only ETH for gas

1 Like

i think it’s impossible. Optimism is a rollup network for ETH and it should remain using ETH for gas fee

1 Like

Definitely like this idea. Polygon uses Matic which increases the demand and uses for Matic. The same should be done for OP

1 Like

Good idea! Make OP more applications

1 Like

We don’t have to change a thing OETH is ok. OP can be used for a yearly vesting for stOP(stakedOP) with benefits ofcourse and stOP can be used for any events and proposals.

1 Like

Tombchain, which is Layer 2 on top of Fantom uses their own $TOMB token as gas. Tombchain is fork of Optimism.

1 Like

A lot less successful though :joy:

1 Like