Enabling $OP as a gas token on Optimism Network!

As a builder on Optimism, I have a different view and I think it would be a mistake to enable $OP as a gas token on Optimism Network. Reason is the following: regulatory uncertainty.

As of now, there is no regulatory clarity around the securities or non-securities status of tokens in the USA. Optimism is a US based project and, to my knowledge (I could be wrong), they did sell tokens to finance the development of Optimism (which is still on-going), they also hired the service of a market maker (Wintermute) etc… I don’t blame the team at all, they did it for good reasons but, from a legal standpoint, all of these good intentioned moves could backfire at some point, depending on the SEC’s mood and judges appreciations of the application of current regulations to the $OP tokens.

This is why, as a builder on Optimism (Fairmint is Optimism-native), I greatly appreciate that the $OP token is actually NOT used as a gas token. Because if the $OP was to ever be considered a security by the regulators (and I hope it will never be the case of course), then, if $OP was used as gas token, that would simply KILL the Optimism network. Using ETH for gas is A LOT safer from a regulatory standpoint. And, to be honest, I don’t think we would have opted to build on Optimism had this not been the case.

As I am seeing a lot of support in favor of $OP as gas token, I wanted to voice my total opposition as using $OP as a gas token :slight_smile:

10 Likes