Users who sold the initial OP airdrop should become ineligible for all future airdrops

Just adding my 2cents here:
I agree w the sentiment of this, but don’t think it should be put into practice.
For one, where would the line be drawn? Do users who take the $OP and for instance put it into a balancer pool loose out in this case? Technically it would be swapping OP tokens to meet the pool balance… So it would be tough to weed out who actually held…
2nd, this amount of money is SO different to people in different parts of the world and in far diff. economic situations. Very possible for somebody to be a huge supporter of Optimism, weigh in and help w governance, participate in all positive ways, but holding ~3,000 USD worth of one coin is just a HUGE amount of money. To others w greater financial standing, it may seem like a drop in their bucket and they could easily hold w hopes of qualifying for the next airdrops w the intent of dumping still.

TLDR: I like the thought but needs a bit more work to do it properly.

A crystal clear criteria should be: everyone who sold the airdrop BEFORE the official claiming started should be removed from future airdrops. These are the ones who sold between $3-4 and dumped the price whereas others who claimed the airdrop afterwards and are still hodling got rekt. The early sellers started the dumpfeast and the ones who still hodl are sitting on a token worth 75% less than one week ago. This is a no go in fairness!

Hi everyone,

from my perspective, this is not good proposal. Here are my points.

1. We are trying to spread freedom for money - this is crypto community about. So from that point penalising someone for using their own money for their own purpose is really against values, mision and vision of Satoshi in the first place.

2. We will ban accounts from receiving new airdrops, but what will stop these people of making other accounts and receive airdrop from different account?

3. Try to think - Is this proposal driven by common good, or only by our individual anger, because token ins dumping on price because of this actions?

I think we should more think about how to engage people not to sell token in future. And this must be personal need of every person. So token need to have some function or value, which will give people will not to sell it at all.

1. Gas payments:
    Change the use of OP tokens from a governance token to the main network token for gas payment

2. Some other incentive in voting or for example some badges in community. I dont know how, just giving creative question.

3. Discounts on different dApps for using or hodling OP token.

4. Better yields for holding some amount of token (for example something like BNB on Binance VIP).

So in total I would focus energy not to slash addresses, but create ideas how to keep people of selling tokens.

I we need to remember, that crypto is financial area and people will always want to get benefit of it.

Thats why Satoshi vision is so great, because every participant in network is benefiting of it. :slight_smile:

yes, right decision . They should not be allowed from next airdrop.

Agreed, there are many reasons for selling. You don’t need OP to be a citizen, so why do you need OP to participate in future airdrops? Reward activity, growth, and actions - not accumulation.

1 Like

Great points - airdrops are only on incentive, there are many more that be can tied to real engagement and participation. The community should be a virus, not a staking pool.

1 Like

I understand why you would think this is a good idea but it isn’t users should be free to do what they want with their airdrop. However, if a user took their airdrop sold it and moved ALL their funds out of the ecosystem you would have my support on that.

1 Like

No i think this would set a terrible precedence for free markets!

Don’t cut them off but pay them less.

2 Likes

You want to reward token holders and delegators. The reward (larger 2nd airdrop) should be proportional to the # of tokens held.

For example: if you hold no tokens, you would get no ‘bonus reward’ airdrop. If you held the initial airdrop, you would get the base reward. If you hold more tokens, your reward increases.

Intermediate selling has 0 relevance here and is a personal trading decision.

Eg, you could have sold your initial airdrop (allowing new users to enter OP governance btw) and bought back triple that initial amount now. In hindsight, that would have been the smart thing to do since your governance power increased this way. I don’t see why that should be punished.

1 Like

Totally agree with you.

i dont know what do yu mean brother , are you not eligible airdrops, do noy cry bro

It’s an airdrop. So I think they can do anything they want. however, the ecosystem can set the new criteria for the next airdrop.

2 Likes

Its a terrible advice.you cant ask anyone to follow your mind,people can decide itself tokens.

yes, who sold all, not hodl even 1.

i am eligible bro so i’m not crying at all :slight_smile:

This proposal has been the topic of a much broader discussion in the crypto community, so I wanted to contribute my perspective as a pro-Optimism dumper. This proposal would benefit the Optimism community. The largest reason is that holders can be fit into two camps (poor traders and optimism fanatics). As a community, we need to look out financially for these two groups in order to keep the network users in good morale. Additionally, there will almost certainly be future liquidity mining campaigns will provide OP yield opportunities for early dumpers provided they remain in the ecosystem.

Just for elucidation, those who did not sell are poor traders because the FDV was 5.5 billion. The entire global asset market is in contraction and safer and higher yields are possible outside of defi. Additionally, almost all airdrops are “Down Only.” Futhermore, there is not currently any staking mechanism or collateral opportunities to utilize OP. It would be wise to expect that large investors were shorting OP immediately.

I agree. Hodlers are here to see Optimism thrive. Support the supporters not the takers.

He will not ask you, he will use the won prize as he wishes. If you had the opportunity, I’m sure you would sell it first :wink:

这是不可行的行为,这样做是不理智的,我们要的是最自由的世界