[REVIEW][GF: Phase 1 Proposal] Angle Protocol

Lack of traction on Arbitrum is due to a lack of integrations and incentives. The protocol is further away in its development on Arbitrum than it is on Optimism. We’ve just created a pool on Arbitrum at the moment without seeking any further because there are less low-hanging fruits there.

Sorry forgot to answer your points:

• As for the reduction of the weekly distribution, it’s true that we could divide by 2 to distribute everything in 1 year rather than in 6 months.
  • About co-incentives: with the VELO locked and the incentives we are receiving and relocking our re-using to bribe, we are driving about $155k worth of incentives a year to agEUR pools (agEUR-MAI and agEUR-USDC) at the moment. But this is going reinforcing itself since we’re putting everything we have with our PoL

Thank you, I was not aware of increased position in September. Do you have dashboard where i can validate it.

Ideally, I am in favor of short distribution duration so instead of stretching it to 1 year i would suggest halving the amount and keep the duration same. Once its over, you can always submit a new proposal.

5K $OP split between 3 pool, your KPI are defined, co-incentives of approx $70K in form ob bribe( for half year) and good liquidity on main net, with all this I think you have a good proposal.

You can check this here. We’re talking of small amounts here so not sure it’s fully statistically significant.

Given the commitment we’ve made so far (VELO acquisition, PoL invested), and the fact that not all of it will be OP bribes (also UniV3 LP incentivization with our new incentivization mechanism), I’d be very much incline towards keeping the $150k request.

So I suggest to hear feedback from others and if everyone recommends halving the amount, then let’s reduce it!

2 Likes

Yes, that is indeed a better approach, lets wait for few more feedback. I would also like to hear others opinion on how you are going back to velo acquisition as a co-incentives. Should we consider B2B and Protocol-to-Protocol partnership as a co-incentives. I agree that it reflect your long term vision on Optimism and Velo protocol but its not a proposal co-incentives. Both should not be mixed.

Like I said earlier, co-incentives are what you are willing to offer as part of your proposal and in this case it would be amount of bribe going towards the pool to boost the liquidity.

1 Like

Hi! Picodes from Angle community. @OPUser would it be better if we committed to match the OP incentives we’ll distribute with our own ressources ? Although in the end it shouldn’t change much as these ressources will likely be our veVELO voting power

Hi @picodes yes please. Its totally Angle’s team call how they want to match the co-incentives, my request is that it should be clear. How the co-incentives will look like and how much ?

can you please define what is important about co-incentives and what the ideal form of co-incentive is?

I have mentioned this two time in this thread already but copying one more time.

This doesn’t answer my question. What I’m asking is a set of general questions:

• why are co-incentives important

• what is their ideal form, and why

As mentioned in one of our earlier comments, we are supportive of this proposal due to the value-add of a EUR stablecoin, reasonable ask & usage of funds to bootstrap required liquidity.

Re co-incentives: To spur growth on Optimism, and especially attract liquidity, token incentives are an appropriate measure. As co-growth initiatives should help the growth of projects & Optimism, it is only fair to ask for incentives from both sides.

• If a large marketcap project on Eth l1 just asks for free funds for its current users & potentially a few more APY hunters, we don’t see long-term alignment, no sustainable onboarding to Optimism; colloquially said “a very one-sided, short-sighted, not aligned proposal”
  • If a smaller project can’t match incentives but may be able to add innovative tech to Optimism or help with user onbaording, we wouldn’t make co-incentives a hard requirement & rather see them as bonus.
  • Bribing, marketing & other forms of support can ofc also be seen as co-incentives - hence it depends very much on the proposal what the optimal co-incentives are.

That said, it’s always good to have clear outlook on co-incentives to assess a proposal. We hope (expect) proposers can (to) clarify the amount of co-incentives with their community before moving a proposal to the voting stage in the future.

PS: We would rephrase this part of the proposal as you bought veVELO and match incentives with your votes/bribes and offer the “Doubling Angle contributions program for Optimism contributions”.

3 Likes

@OPUser is this your exact view as well? Because when I respond to this I want to make sure I’m addressing both of you

Hi everyone! @BlockAdopter from Angle Protocol here. Please find below our updated proposal.

This update takes into account feedback from the delegates. Thank you for your input and for helping us improve this proposal.

Condensed summary of the updated proposal

• Angle is applying for a 250k OP tokens grant

• 250k OP tokens to be distributed over 6 months as follows:

• 2/4: agEUR - USDC pool on Uniswap V3
    • 1/4: agEUR - OP volatile pool on Velodrome, in the form of bribes
    • 1/4: agEUR - MAI volatile pool on Velodrome, in the form of bribes
  • More weight to the Uniswap pool as this rewards LPs as opposed to bribes that risk attracting mercenary participants (we changed the distribution following feedback from delegates)

• Also Velodrome is an Optimism-only platform and this favors the Optimism ecosystem.

• Matching incentives: Angle will match the amount of votes obtained on Velodrome using OP from this grant with Angle’s resources (either voting power, either through bribes).

• Bonus for contributors on Optimism: Angle to grant 10,000 $Angle tokens to each author of a contribution made to Angle Protocol on Optimism (that is double the rewards offered to contributors on other chains)

Long form proposal (updated)

This is the GF Phase 1 Proposal from the Angle Protocol. The goal is to help push the adoption of agEUR, a robust and decentralized EUR-stablecoin, and its underlying platform Angle on the Optimism network.

Project name: Angle Protocol

Author name and contact info: @BlockAdopter, can be contacted through Twitter or Discord (TheBlockAdopter | Mariam#7290) or @tuta, can be contacted through Twitter or Discord (tuta#3689).

I understand that I will be required to provide additional KYC information to the Optimism Foundation to receive this grant: Yes

L2 recipient address: 0x3245d3204eeb67afba7b0ba9143e8081365e08a6

Grant category: Governance Fund Phase 1

Is this proposal applicable to a specific committee? [y/n, link to committee] Yes, DeFi Committee

Project description (please explain how your project works)**:**Angle is a decentralized and over-collateralized stablecoin protocol that launched agEUR, the leading decentralized EUR stablecoin on Ethereum.

Angle Borrowing module works similarly than Maker, with improvements on many aspects: users can borrow stablecoins after depositing tokens as collateral, and get liquidated if the value of this collateral goes below a certain threshold. It is deployed natively on Optimism, allowing users to borrow or get leverage with agEUR against OP, USDC, and wETH. Angle is also planning to offer yield and investment products in the future.

Project links:

Additional team member info (please link):Co-founders Discord/Telegram: sogipec#6666 / @pveyrat, Picodes#0368 / @Picodes, gnervo#9112 / @gnervo

Please link to any previous projects the team has meaningfully contributed to: NA

Relevant usage metrics (TVL, transactions, volume, unique addresses, etc. Optimism metrics preferred; please link to public sources such as Dune Analytics, etc.):

• Angle TVL ~$75M, with currently > 300k on Optimism.
  • agEUR total supply > 45M €
  • agEUR daily transaction count > 100
  • agEUR weekly DEX volume > 30,000,000 agEUR
  • agEUR total transfer volume on-chain > 5B agEUR (includes all types of transactions)

Competitors, peers, or similar projects (please link):

Maker
QiDAO
Frax
Liquity

Is/will this project be open sourced? Yes, Angle is already open-sourced. Everything can be found in this repository.

Optimism native?: Angle Borrowing module has recently been launched natively on Optimism. $agEUR is a native Optimism asset. Angle was originally launched on Ethereum in November 2021.

Date of deployment/expected deployment on Optimism: Angle Borrowing module contracts were deployed on Optimism in mid-July 2022.

Ecosystem Value Proposition:

• What is the problem statement this proposal hopes to solve for the Optimism ecosystem Having a robust and decentralized EUR stablecoin natively on Optimism.
  • How does your proposal offer a value proposition solving the above problem? agEUR is one the leading decentralized EUR stablecoin on-chain, and can be minted natively on Optimism. Angle also allows users to get leverage on their OP tokens by borrowing agEUR.
  • Why will this solution be a source of growth for the Optimism ecosystem? Growing agEUR on Optimism is a way to attract all DeFi users which have the EUR as their local currency to the network.

Has your project previously applied for an OP grant? No.

Number of OP tokens requested: 250,000 OP

Did the project apply for or receive OP tokens through the Foundation Partner Fund?: No

If OP tokens were requested from the Foundation Partner Fund, what was the amount?: NA

How much will your project match in co-incentives? We will match the grant in incentives with Angle’s own resources. Please see the detail of these co-incentives below.

Proposal for token distribution:

How will the OP tokens be distributed?

Here, we lay out a revised proposition for the distribution of the received OP tokens, and a new way for Angle to help push Optimism’s adoption.

A) 100% of received OP tokens to be distributed as liquidity incentives, linearly over 6 months between 3 agEUR pools.

The 250,000 OP tokens would be distributed linearly over 6 months, for a total of 10,416 OP / week. This distribution would be split between 3 pools as follows:

• 2/4: agEUR - USDC pool on Uniswap V3 directly, with the option of having LP liquidity managed by @Gamma. (We have by the way created a new UniV3 LP incentivization mechanism detailed here, and we hope to push for a more global adoption on Optimism);
  • 1/4: agEUR - OP volatile pool on Velodrome, in the form of bribes; and
  • 1/4: agEUR - MAI volatile pool on Velodrome, in the form of bribes.

This would amount to:

• 5208 OP / week in the Uniswap V3 pool, or ~$3,750 at a price of $0.72 / OP; and
  • 2604 OP / week directed to the agEUR - OP and agEUR - MAI Velodrome pools, or ~$1,875 at a price of $0.72 / OP.

This is equivalent to $7,500 x 52 = $390,000 / year distributed on the three pools ($190,000 over the 6 months of the program), or a ~4% APY per pool with $10m in liquidity in all pools over the first 6 months.

Depending on where the APY stabilizes, we can expect around $3-4M of $agEUR to be minted on Optimism across these pools. As $OP is now accepted as collateral to mint agEUR on Angle, this creates an interesting opportunity for $OP holders to increase the token liquidity without selling some of their tokens.

B) Angle matching distributed $OP incentives on Velodrome

Angle will match the amount of votes obtained on Velodrome using OP from this grant with Angle’s resources (either voting power, either through bribes from Angle’s own capital).

This means, for example, that with a value of $7500 OP tokens distributed each week, Angle would be voting or bribing with a minimum of $7,500 worth of votes or bribes per week in favor of the agEUR - OP and agEUR - MAI on Velodrome per week.

C) Doubling Angle contributions program for Optimism contributions during the span of the $OP incentives.

As detailed here, Angle is currently running a program rewarding external contributors with 5000 ANGLE for meaningful contributions. As this is currently under the discretion of the Angle team, we understand that OP tokens shouldn’t be used to reward such contributions.

To push Optimism’s adoption, we think it would be a great idea to double these incentives to 10,000 ANGLE when the Angle contributions are made on Optimism. This would require a DAO vote on our side, but we are confident Angle community will be in favor of such a proposal.

Please see the top of this post to access a condensed summary of the proposal.

4 Likes

Hi @BlockAdopter thank you for the changes. This look much better. Dont forget to update the proposal and get two delegate approval before second week of next cycle.

4 Likes

I am an Optimism delegate [ Delegate Commitments - #136 by jackanorak Delegate Commitments - #136 by jackanorak ] with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

4 Likes

As an Optimism delegate with voting power above the required threshold I believe this proposal is ready. Delegate Commitments - #71 by MoneyManDoug

4 Likes

hey Angle, thank you for incorporating feedback. This looks much better.

Don’t forget to change your tag from #cycle-7 to #cycle-8 if you plan on moving to the next cycle.

2 Likes

Thnak you @marc for your feedback! The tag is changed to #cycle-8 and the proposal listed in the Round-up post for Cycle 8.

1 Like

Recommendation from DeFi committee C

Details
This proposal focuses its efforts on liquidity mining, indicating its approach to boost capital in its stablecoin, agEUR, in order for it to be better used by users and protocols. Targets such as expected blocked capital and spending plan to achieve it are properly detailed therein.

Value-Add
Crypto is heavily focused on USD pegged stablecoins. Angle’s agEUR is a proven, overcollateralized, EUR-pegged stablecoin. Angle offers OP as one of the collateral options. The proposal can achieve more liquidity for agEUR, another place to use OP and can consequently help users as well as OP protocols that want to leverage another currency than USD.

Traction
Forex currencies have relatively low adoption/traction outside of Ethereum. Angle has 70M TVL on Ethereum and small TVL on Optimism. Most TVL is in USDC (due to long USD, short EUR trading strategy) and more collaterals are onboarded but less used so far.

Amount
Very reasonable Ask. Angle is applying for a 250k OP tokens grant over 6 months. One half will be allocated to agEUR - USDC pool on UniV3 using Gamma as liquidity manager and other half to bribing agEUR - OP and agEUR - MAI pools on Velodrome.

Co-incentives
Angle will match the amount of votes obtained on Velodrome using OP from this grant with Angle’s resources. Also, Angle will allocate ANGLE tokens for contributors that can bring value in any way on Optimism (content, dashboards, documentation).

Alignment
Angle is multi-chain without a special preference for Optimism but its integrated to other protocol on Optimism.

Recommendation :- YES

Our past recommendation is available on committee recommendation thread

5 Likes